Esteemed Contributor

Re: TMZ - Reporting Kobe Bryant killed in Helicopter accident.

@JJsMom wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

unfortunately, you would think that if he did not like to drive he could have had a luxury, custom made motor home built for traveling . that way he could have been up and around quite frequently during the drive. of course, no mode of transportation is 100% safe. Smiley Sad

i do enjoy flying in  a plane, but not sure i could ever be in a helicopter.

I think it was more about the time it took to drive than the discomfort.

I don't like flying, but it's because I have a fear of heights. I don't think it's less safe than driving. It's a totally irrational fear of mine, so I get anxious when I have to fly. It doesn't stop me from doing it, but I don't like it.

@JJsMom  Agreed. I saw a short interview clip where he mentioned that he needed a way to be able to practice and still get where he needed to be. He mentioned missing a school play (I think) while he was in traffic trying to get there. He thought air travel was the answer. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@bathina  wrote:

@feline groovy wrote:

This is yet another tragic example of human beings underestimating Mother Nature while overestimating their own abilities. Adults must always keep children as safe as possible - why take risks with anything when they're with you?

Getting into your car and strapping your kids in the back seat is a risk. Most people can't decide not to go to work because roads are wet, icy or snowy. Any mode of transportation has risk.

Of course, but this was just a basketball practice - not work.

And car accidents, though numerous, are more survivable than a helicopter crash.

Esteemed Contributor

If anyone is interested, TMZ has posted pictures that a biker took when the plane went down. There was no way anyone could have survived.

Some pilots are wondering why the pilot was going 161 knots (185 mph), when he could have slowed to 15mph. It appears that the fog and pilot error caused the crash. They have recovered all 9 bodies. They now need to identify them. Pictures show parts of the helicopter were scattered all around the hillside.

How sad to loose so many people in an instant. 

Honored Contributor

elated,

Count me among those who think pilot error will be cited along with the weather conditions.

The pilot had 8.000 flying hours, and that is a laudable number of hours to have.  Poor judgment...wanting to arrive at destination at the appointed hour...who knows?

As someone else said, though, when our appointed hour comes to exit the stage, all works in favor of our exit.

Honored Contributor

God to humanity - "You had one job... to keep children safe."

Respected Contributor

There are several home surveillance videos out there that recorded the sound upon impact. They are being turned over to NTSB to help them figure out what happened.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu