Honored Contributor

Re: TJ Maxx / Combined Marshalls & Home Goods

[ Edited ]

@GinzTonic wrote:

Ok . If u say so. I have worked there for a longggggg time. 

And I've shopped there for a long time... One of my good neighbors is also a long-time TJX store manager...

Smiley Wink

Not trying to be a smart azz... maybe things vary by region... In fact, I suspect they do since my area strangely lays in two different regions and the differences are pretty clear between stores under one region and the other... Had they never offered markdowns on laid away items they wouldn't have felt compelled to post their change in policy...

Smiley Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Spurt Speaking of the Big A and their pricing, uh, variations... I just went to my cart and noted that an item that's been in there for months and at the exact same price is now four dollars more... Now, four dollars is not the end of the world, but still, why would an item in stock for months suddenly warrant a price increase... This kind of thing is the norm there and if you look back on any given day, the price will be adjusted again, upward or downward... All retaliers do it, but I think both QVC and the Big A have made it into an art form...

Smiley Surprised Smiley Frustrated

Super Contributor

Ok , makes sense . Company policy is differnent region to region. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Our Dillards is a hot junky mess!  Just awful.  It looks like a sidewalk sale is going on inside.  And they have scads of ugly loud clothing that I can't imagine they will ever sell.  The housewares area especially is a disaster.

@Sooner

WOW-that's surprising...all of our Dillards in our city are pristine!!! Thats in all departments--neat and tidy--A pleasure to shopin.......... The Department Store that's has clothing all over and is hot junky mess is Macys..........

Just be glad you all have Dillards... They're virtually all over the country except near me... I don't know what they have against the mid-atlantic...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt Speaking of the Big A and their pricing, uh, variations... I just went to my cart and noted that an item that's been in there for months and at the exact same price is now four dollars more... Now, four dollars is not the end of the world, but still, why would an item in stock for months suddenly warrant a price increase... This kind of thing is the norm there and if you look back on any given day, the price will be adjusted again, upward or downward... All retaliers do it, but I think both QVC and the Big A have made it into an art form...

Smiley Surprised Smiley Frustrated

@stevieb

There was a big discussion about Amazon...and I read an article that I found very interesting about Amazon's pricing policies and the way they work and I posted it. What you experienced is exactly how they operate. 

The article said most stores do that on hundreds of items where The Big A does it on thousands of items a day......Let's say Target has vacuums on sale .. They raise your item $4, and the price of other items as well....and Amazon undercuts Target on that sale price....

What Amazon counts on is people thinking they always have the lowest prices so they don't price shop....OR....they think Prime saves them money on shipping so why comparison shop--but you have to really place 20 or more orders a year to make Prime worth it....  I swear they must have a psychiatrists as part of their team to figure out the mindset of shoppers........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Our Dillards is a hot junky mess!  Just awful.  It looks like a sidewalk sale is going on inside.  And they have scads of ugly loud clothing that I can't imagine they will ever sell.  The housewares area especially is a disaster.

@Sooner

WOW-that's surprising...all of our Dillards in our city are pristine!!! Thats in all departments--neat and tidy--A pleasure to shopin.......... The Department Store that's has clothing all over and is hot junky mess is Macys..........

Just be glad you all have Dillards... They're virtually all over the country except near me... I don't know what they have against the mid-atlantic...

@stevieb

292 stores in 29 states only.........The largest number of stores are in Texas 57 and Florida 42.....We have 4 Dillard stores here........They did close the one at the downtown mall....I guess tourists mostly shop there and they arent buying clothes or household or kitchen items.....  

Dillards was one of those that over-opened stores (is that a word--lol) and purchased other retail chains (they purchased Joske stores here in Texas), then they went through a bad spell ..So I guess that's why they stopped their expansion, but as Macys started to decline, it helped to bouy Dillards...In a March 2018 report they had excellent fourth quarter results....

But critics say unless they build up their e-commerce they probably won't survive--they are neglecting that area of their business which is critical in this day and age....they get little online customer traffic...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I've noticed the store's quality has been declining for a couple of years.  (At least in my area).

I used to make a point and try to look once a week in the store.  Now I go maybe once in 6 months. 

Sad...

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner

@stevieb

292 stores in 29 states only.........The largest number of stores are in Texas 57 and Florida 42.....We have 4 Dillard stores here........They did close the one at the downtown mall....I guess tourists mostly shop there and they arent buying clothes or household or kitchen items.....  

Dillards was one of those that over-opened stores (is that a word--lol) and purchased other retail chains (they purchased Joske stores here in Texas), then they went through a bad spell ..So I guess that's why they stopped their expansion, but as Macys started to decline, it helped to bouy Dillards...In a March 2018 report they had excellent fourth quarter results....

But critics say unless they build up their e-commerce they probably won't survive--they are neglecting that area of their business which is critical in this day and age....they get little online customer traffic...........

There's quite a few Dillard's in my area.  However, I rarely shop there because the return policy sucks.  

Respected Contributor

My Homegoods is the best, you never know what you will find. Everything is arranged so nicely, makes you want to buy it all. I do not buy clothing there so I can not comment on that. 

Honored Contributor

Honestly, It seems to me that everywhere I look, clothes, home furnishings - everything-  is greatly declined in quality. Since stores like TJ Maxx, Marshals and Home Goods are basically just outlet stores , this would also be apparent in those stores. The quality of products coming out of China and other countries to be sold in the USA is horrible. 

We need new living room sofa and chair and we have been out looking a lot. We finally decided on a set from Best Furniture , which is a company out of Indiana, and the furniture is made there as well. Keeping our fingers crossed.