Honored Contributor

Re: TJ Maxx / Combined Marshalls & Home Goods

@Spurt I haven't been to a Burlington in years... At one time, they had a lot of stock and it was literally almost like a warehouse... You had to search out what you wanted and it was a mess, but they had a lot to choose from... When they changed over to a more typical retail experience, the offerings became more narrow and, to me, not all that good... I used to drop into Ross occasionally, but the last time I was in there found very little worth looking at... I haven't been back in quite a while but surmize others go for the lower prices and find some things to their liking...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@stevieb@I agree with all you stated.I find shopping dissapointing both online and in store.I think it is very difficult to find quality items that you can enjoy for years.Most stuff is disposable to encourage us to keep shopping I suppose.

@dex Absolutely... Built in obsolescence has become the name of the game almost across the board...

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb

Nordstroms was ALWAYS way over-rated to me too....One time I went there with a friend who was looking for a dress to wear to a wedding...Oh yes their Sales Associates are extremely friendly and helpful...but the dress my friend liked they didnt have in her size....the Sales Associate told her they carried limited stock of everything in the store and she'd have to order it online---Does that even make sense?!?!?!?....my friend told her sorry it wouldnt arrive in time for the wedding....and at that price she certainly wasnt going to pay for expedited shipping....  BTW you can add Nieman Marcus, Saks, Lord & Taylor to that "overpriced not all that" list too.......

I agree with you.....I prefer IN STORE shopping too,---call it a "hobby".Woman Wink...although I do order some things online, but I hate to wait (and no $99 for Prime is not an answer) and then there's the hassle of picking up packages sent by USPS at our condo mail center during their hours etc. because UPS/Fed Ex deliveries are the only packages delivered to our door......Woman Frustrated

@Spurt Tell me about it... I lost interest in Nordstrom early on and more recently lost interest in L&T. The in store experience is nice, but their on-line and telephone CS is atrocious... And yea, I'm about ready to phase out Prime... It's just not worth it for me... and the price keeps going up... I don't use most of the Prime 'benefits' anyway... Not even to mention that the Big A's prices change with the wind... Also, like you, most packages end up at the concierge, so I have to go and retrieve them, which sort of defeats the purpose of 'two day shipping', assuming that what you're ordering is even 'Prime Eligible', which many items are not... Even though they might not be what they once were, I still do quite a bit of my shopping at TJX... I don't enjoy the mall experience all that much, so only go to the bigger stores occasionally... I went the other day to make a return at Macy's and to browse and left empty handed...

@stevieb

I can relate to your shopping experience....I SELDOM go to the mall---I HATE the outdoor mall--I shop 2 stores that are thankfully in the same corner---Barnes & Noble and Dillards...and Macys is a few steps away....that's it!!!  Im not trouncing around in the heat and humidity first in the parking lot and then tons of walking to get to all the stores--they might have saved in construction costs, but their stores LOST my sales.  Ive only been their twice this year....

I prefer the gigantic shopping center across the street--you can drive up near each store's door --- TJ's/Home Goods, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Petsmart, Target, Kirklands, World Market, even a Lowes, JCP, Dollar Store, ... PLUS many many others.......enough to keep me shopping happily........Woman Very Happy

I do still enjoy the TJ's/Home Goods and Marshall stores....I just hope they can continue with quality merchandise and good prices......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt I haven't been to a Burlington in years... At one time, they had a lot of stock and it was literally almost like a warehouse... You had to search out what you wanted and it was a mess, but they had a lot to choose from... When they changed over to a more typical retail experience, the offerings became more narrow and, to me, not all that good... I used to drop into Ross occasionally, but the last time I was in there found very little worth looking at... I haven't been back in quite a while but surmize others go for the lower prices and find some things to their liking...

@stevieb

Burlingtons here is in a mall thats old and declining...the only thing we go there for is the movie theater that shows more unique movies--foreign films, small studio productions etc....more platable food that they bring to you....

Burlingtons is there, at one time it was a nice store and had good bargains.... and like you experienced now its a jumbled up mess limited merchandise and no real bargains........How it stays in business is beyond me, better deals at the adjoining,but not connected Target store behind it..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt I understand your perspective. All it takes is one big misstep for an otherwise successful retailer to bite off more than they can chew and then crash and burn... One of my neighbors is a long time store manager with the TJX company and from what I gather Homesense, as it's planned anyway, will be different from Homegoods. I'm told there won't be much focus on kitchen goods, but a real focus on furniture, rugs, lighting, and things of that nature... The volume will be much higher in the way of those sorts of things than you tend to see at Homegoods... The average HG store might carry 75 or so rugs, for example, while Homesense might carry hundreds... 

What I'm more put out by is the decline in merchandise in the TJ Maxx and Marshall's stores... At one time you could really find fabulous clothes, handbags and accessories, fragrances and things for the home at good prices. You still can, but not routinely and the prices, like everywhere, aren't quite as good... I also used to shop for gifts for several men on my list and the men's department has really taken a big hit... At the same time, some of their policies have become less customer focused. Some of the stores are phasing out layaway. Those that are keeping it have long been charging

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt I understand your perspective. All it takes is one big misstep for an otherwise successful retailer to bite off more than they can chew and then crash and burn... One of my neighbors is a long time store manager with the TJX company and from what I gather Homesense, as it's planned anyway, will be different from Homegoods. I'm told there won't be much focus on kitchen goods, but a real focus on furniture, rugs, lighting, and things of that nature... The volume will be much higher in the way of those sorts of things than you tend to see at Homegoods... The average HG store might carry 75 or so rugs, for example, while Homesense might carry hundreds... 

What I'm more put out by is the decline in merchandise in the TJ Maxx and Marshall's stores... At one time you could really find fabulous clothes, handbags and accessories, fragrances and things for the home at good prices. You still can, but not routinely and the prices, like everywhere, aren't quite as good... I also used to shop for gifts for several men on my list and the men's department has really taken a big hit... At the same time, some of their policies have become less customer focused. Some of the stores are phasing out layaway. Those that are keeping it have long been charging a non-refundable layaway fee which jumped from five to ten dollars and is no longer put toward the price of the items on layaway... In the old days, if an item went on sale while in layaway you got the sale price but they no longer offer that perk... I guess things are tough all over or maybe, in part, they're getting too big for their britches... But at least they're still viable... I seem to have read that even Stein Mart is on the verge of bankruptcy...

Smiley Wink

@stevieb

I really like Marshalls for gifts for both men and women or a little something for co-worker birthdays and Christmas......I noticed everything in retail is starting to creep up in price.   I think in order to keep up with Amazon they are using a similar strategy to the "Big A" (as I like to call them) and lowering prices on one item to beat out a competitor,but raising the price on something else to compensate....I noticed that handbags at both TJ's and Marshalls are not bargain priced at all!!! Id be better off shopping at Macy's with a coupon and/or sale!...Or at Steinmarts regular price Smiley Wink

I dont use layaway...but my thinking is I bet the TJ companies tried it because Wally World started offering it again...but it wasnt a money maker for TJ cos,--people werent buying more and putting it on layway, so I think the changes are just a way of people figuring its not worth it so they stop using it, and TJ's can ditch it like they want to...What works for Wally World doesn't necessarily  work for other retailers....Why dont retailers stick to their own niche market and do it well instead of being copy cats that doesnt work with every customer base....That applies to the Q as well....Woman Indifferent

If thats what Homesense is going to carry---that means they will be going up against a similar strategy to the At Home stores......These stores are HUGE and something for everyone....the problem with them here is their locations....one is in a not so nice part of town....the other is too far out....

If TJ/Mashalls/HomeGoods inventory is lacking looks like they are targeting the money to opening and expandig their Homesense stores....SMH!!!  I think the retailers are just making TERRIBLE decisions and easily handing over the entire retail world to the "Big A".............Woman Frustrated

a non-refundable layaway fee which jumped from five to ten dollars and is no longer put toward the price of the items on layaway... In the old days, if an item went on sale while in layaway you got the sale price but they no longer offer that perk... I guess things are tough all over or maybe, in part, they're getting too big for their britches... But at least they're still viable... I seem to have read that even Stein Mart is on the verge of bankruptcy...

Smiley Wink

@stevieb

I really like Marshalls for gifts for both men and women or a little something for co-worker birthdays and Christmas......I noticed everything in retail is starting to creep up in price.   I think in order to keep up with Amazon they are using a similar strategy to the "Big A" (as I like to call them) and lowering prices on one item to beat out a competitor,but raising the price on something else to compensate....I noticed that handbags at both TJ's and Marshalls are not bargain priced at all!!! Id be better off shopping at Macy's with a coupon and/or sale!...Or at Steinmarts regular price Smiley Wink

I dont use layaway...but my thinking is I bet the TJ companies tried it because Wally World started offering it again...but it wasnt a money maker for TJ cos,--people werent buying more and putting it on layway, so I think the changes are just a way of people figuring its not worth it so they stop using it, and TJ's can ditch it like they want to...What works for Wally World doesn't necessarily  work for other retailers....Why dont retailers stick to their own niche market and do it well instead of being copy cats that doesnt work with every customer base....That applies to the Q as well....Woman Indifferent

If thats what Homesense is going to carry---that means they will be going up against a similar strategy to the At Home stores......These stores are HUGE and something for everyone....the problem with them here is their locations....one is in a not so nice part of town....the other is too far out....

If TJ/Mashalls/HomeGoods inventory is lacking looks like they are targeting the money to opening and expandig their Homesense stores....SMH!!!  I think the retailers are just making TERRIBLE decisions and easily handing over the entire retail world to the "Big A".............Woman Frustrated

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

What I'm more put out by is the decline in merchandise in the TJ Maxx and Marshall's stores... At one time you could really find fabulous clothes, handbags and accessories, fragrances and things for the home at good prices. You still can, but not routinely and the prices, like everywhere, aren't quite as good... I also used to shop for gifts for several men on my list and the men's department has really taken a big hit... At the same time, some of their policies have become less customer focused. Some of the stores are phasing out layaway. Those that are keeping it have long been charging a non-refundable layaway fee which jumped from five to ten dollars and is no longer put toward the price of the items on layaway... In the old days, if an item went on sale while in layaway you got the sale price but they no longer offer that perk... I guess things are tough all over or maybe, in part, they're getting too big for their britches... But at least they're still viable... I seem to have read that even Stein Mart is on the verge of bankruptcy...

Smiley Wink

@stevieb

It was never the layaway policy to give the clearance price .  They drop layaway from stores ,that dont do the bussiness , it must be 3% of sales. It labor intensive and doesnt have a good roi . Out dated and space waste. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GinzTonic wrote:

It was never the layaway policy to give the clearance price .  They drop layaway from stores ,that dont do the bussiness , it must be 3% of sales. It labor intensive and doesnt have a good roi . Out dated and space waste. 

Despite the corporate downside, the ability to lay away was a customer friendly service and they were one of the few remaining retailers to offer it, which was one thing that set them apart...

I'm sorry, but in past years yes, they very much would check for a markdown on a layaway item if you asked them and if the item had been marked down they would give you the lower price. That stopped locally just a few years ago and they posted signs to note their change in policy...

I also don't think lack of business has anything to do with deep sixing the option in all cases... One of the local Marshall's that's in the process of doing away with layaway is a very active store and has been around for decades... They cite lack of space and, of course, it is cumbersome for them. At most stores, it wasn't handled very well. There were often problems locating laid away items and in some instances, items were put back on the shelves well before their pick-up date...

At the end of the day layaway or lack of it aren't huge deals, it was merely cited as another area in which the TJX stores are changing... I tended to make use of it primarily as a way to think about whether or not I really wanted something. Most of the time, if I decided I did, I'd go in and buy it rather than make payments... On the other hand, I know there were those who seriously abused the service...

Honored Contributor

Our Dillards is a hot junky mess!  Just awful.  It looks like a sidewalk sale is going on inside.  And they have scads of ugly loud clothing that I can't imagine they will ever sell.  The housewares area especially is a disaster.

Super Contributor

Ok . If u say so. I have worked there for a longggggg time. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't noticed any decline in ours. I don't purchase clothing there but I am always finding things for my home. I love these stores. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Our Dillards is a hot junky mess!  Just awful.  It looks like a sidewalk sale is going on inside.  And they have scads of ugly loud clothing that I can't imagine they will ever sell.  The housewares area especially is a disaster.

@Sooner

WOW-that's surprising...all of our Dillards in our city are pristine!!! Thats in all departments--neat and tidy--A pleasure to shopin.......... The Department Store that's has clothing all over and is hot junky mess is Macys..........