Honored Contributor

Re: TJ Maxx / Combined Marshalls & Home Goods

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt I understand your perspective. All it takes is one big misstep for an otherwise successful retailer to bite off more than they can chew and then crash and burn... One of my neighbors is a long time store manager with the TJX company and from what I gather Homesense, as it's planned anyway, will be different from Homegoods. I'm told there won't be much focus on kitchen goods, but a real focus on furniture, rugs, lighting, and things of that nature... The volume will be much higher in the way of those sorts of things than you tend to see at Homegoods... The average HG store might carry 75 or so rugs, for example, while Homesense might carry hundreds... 

What I'm more put out by is the decline in merchandise in the TJ Maxx and Marshall's stores... At one time you could really find fabulous clothes, handbags and accessories, fragrances and things for the home at good prices. You still can, but not routinely and the prices, like everywhere, aren't quite as good... I also used to shop for gifts for several men on my list and the men's department has really taken a big hit... At the same time, some of their policies have become less customer focused. Some of the stores are phasing out layaway. Those that are keeping it have long been charging a non-refundable layaway fee which jumped from five to ten dollars and is no longer put toward the price of the items on layaway... In the old days, if an item went on sale while in layaway you got the sale price but they no longer offer that perk... I guess things are tough all over or maybe, in part, they're getting too big for their britches... But at least they're still viable... I seem to have read that even Stein Mart is on the verge of bankruptcy...

Smiley Wink

@stevieb

I really like Marshalls for gifts for both men and women or a little something for co-worker birthdays and Christmas......I noticed everything in retail is starting to creep up in price.   I think in order to keep up with Amazon they are using a similar strategy to the "Big A" (as I like to call them) and lowering prices on one item to beat out a competitor,but raising the price on something else to compensate....I noticed that handbags at both TJ's and Marshalls are not bargain priced at all!!! Id be better off shopping at Macy's with a coupon and/or sale!...Or at Steinmarts regular price Smiley Wink

I dont use layaway...but my thinking is I bet the TJ companies tried it because Wally World started offering it again...but it wasnt a money maker for TJ cos,--people werent buying more and putting it on layway, so I think the changes are just a way of people figuring its not worth it so they stop using it, and TJ's can ditch it like they want to...What works for Wally World doesn't necessarily  work for other retailers....Why dont retailers stick to their own niche market and do it well instead of being copy cats that doesnt work with every customer base....That applies to the Q as well....Woman Indifferent

If thats what Homesense is going to carry---that means they will be going up against a similar strategy to the At Home stores......These stores are HUGE and something for everyone....the problem with them here is their locations....one is in a not so nice part of town....the other is too far out....

If TJ/Mashalls/HomeGoods inventory is lacking looks like they are targeting the money to opening and expandig their Homesense stores....SMH!!!  I think the retailers are just making TERRIBLE decisions and easily handing over the entire retail world to the "Big A".............Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt It also seems that TJX is starting slowly, opening few Homesense stores and is opening them gradually... Perhaps they've learned the hard lesson from some retailers who seem to have put a store on every block and then ended up closing many of them... I understand there will be two in my metro area, but they won't be at all close to each other. 

@stevieb

Yep, thats what happened with Dillards did long ago and looks like what Stein Mart did too....Now practically every new shopping center here has a Stein Mart now.......But hey at least Dillards learned it's lesson they had a 6% increase....Thats better than what the Q did...LOL! ..Their market seems to be IN STORE customers, they need to beef up their online markets.....But even with them, clothing lines that had $28 items, have jumped in price to $33...STILL much lower than QVC's price of $53 to $60 similar styles/fabric better quality and consistent sizing....

I did the Store Locator and no Homesense stores scheduled to open here yet...but there's a couple of GIGANTIC shopping centers ---more like small cities--that would be the perfect spot, even if it means converting from TJ's and TJ/Home Goods to Homesense! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt There are virtually no furniture stores remaining in my area. There are very few and while there are some, most of them aren't nearby. The few that remain somewhat central are either extremely pricey or extremely junky, so maybe Homesense did their homework when deciding where to locate... Who knows.

As for layaway, the TJX stores offered it from the early days. I don't think they were doing a copycat version of Walmart. I think, what they've found, is they don't have to offer the perks and so they're gradually pulling them back... I still find better pricing at TJX for most things than I would at most other stores, including the lone Stein Mart in my area, which I think it sort of pricey for what it is... The TJX stores, as noted, also still offer some good finds, just not like they used to... I'm trying to steer clear of handbags, but the selection and pricing at TJX locally still beats Steinmart, and Macy's is just too capricious with their 'sales'...

It could be that TJX began funneling off some of their home-related merchandise to the Homegoods stores, but I think part of it, too, is they aren't getting the first pick for overstocks that they once did... I once found a beautiful set of Neiman Marcus dishes at TJ Maxx but don't often see things like that anymore... I think now that virtually all of the 'better' stores have their own outlets, TJX isn't getting the 'left overs' it once was...

Any way you slice it, retail isn't what it used to be... When I think of all the great stores in my area that no longer exist, leaving us essentially with Macy's and a few others, I have to wonder... For me, Nordstrom is way over-rated and there are far better stores that are now long gone... As for the 'on-line experience', I'm increasingly finding that way over-rated too...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I've got two choices here in Hooterville.  TJMaxx or Burlington.

It's hit or miss at both.  I do get my Coffee at TJ.  Just have to check the dates.  Burlington goes up and down like a Yo-Yo.  Sometimes the store is full, and others it's pretty bare.  I can easily walk in or out of both with nothing.  I'm generally looking for something specific, so it's usually a miss. Sigh...

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Trusted Contributor

@maisiebrook wrote:

Has anyone noticed a decline in quality at these stores?  I know it is hit or miss but over the past six months or so I sense cheaper looking home decor (wall art for example) and less exciting clothing.  I know it depends on the store's location, but I am feeling a little disappointed since I have been a huge fan with most of my closet from TJ Maxx.  As for home goods, the one nearest to me just combined with Marshalls, which means a smaller store and long lines.  The stand alone Home Goods had amazing stuff and I was expecting the new store to be the same.  I have been to other combined stores in the area and sense a decrease in quality.

Hi @maisiebrook

Oh gee, I live in southeast Michigan and couldn't disagree more. I love the TJM and Marshall's/HomeGoods stores. I always wish I had more spending money when shopping there. The jewelry at TJM- oh my god- so many beautiful pieces. Everything is so reasonable! It is my addiction destination for when retail therapy is calling. Love love love these stores, and if they went out of business I would be very sad. ( Marshall's sells name-brand workout leggings and tops, quality brands, super reasonable too).  For one item bought at the Q - you could get an armful of cute stuff shopping there.👍🏼

⚓️
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb

Nordstroms was ALWAYS way over-rated to me too....One time I went there with a friend who was looking for a dress to wear to a wedding...Oh yes their Sales Associates are extremely friendly and helpful...but the dress my friend liked they didnt have in her size....the Sales Associate told her they carried limited stock of everything in the store and she'd have to order it online---Does that even make sense?!?!?!?....my friend told her sorry it wouldnt arrive in time for the wedding....and at that price she certainly wasnt going to pay for expedited shipping....  BTW you can add Nieman Marcus, Saks, Lord & Taylor to that "overpriced not all that" list too.......

I agree with you.....I prefer IN STORE shopping too,---call it a "hobby".Woman Wink...although I do order some things online, but I hate to wait (and no $99 for Prime is not an answer) and then there's the hassle of picking up packages sent by USPS at our condo mail center during their hours etc. because UPS/Fed Ex deliveries are the only packages delivered to our door......Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

@maisiebrook wrote:

Has anyone noticed a decline in quality at these stores?  I know it is hit or miss but over the past six months or so I sense cheaper looking home decor (wall art for example) and less exciting clothing.  I know it depends on the store's location, but I am feeling a little disappointed since I have been a huge fan with most of my closet from TJ Maxx.  As for home goods, the one nearest to me just combined with Marshalls, which means a smaller store and long lines.  The stand alone Home Goods had amazing stuff and I was expecting the new store to be the same.  I have been to other combined stores in the area and sense a decrease in quality.

Hi @maisiebrook

Oh gee, I live in southeast Michigan and couldn't disagree more. I love the TJM and Marshall's/HomeGoods stores. I always wish I had more spending money when shopping there. The jewelry at TJM- oh my god- so many beautiful pieces. Everything is so reasonable! It is my addiction destination for when retail therapy is calling. Love love love these stores, and if they went out of business I would be very sad. ( Marshall's sells name-brand workout leggings and tops, quality brands, super reasonable too).  For one item bought at the Q - you could get an armful of cute stuff shopping there.👍🏼

Now THIS, goes without saying !!! Woman LOL Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb

Nordstroms was ALWAYS way over-rated to me too....One time I went there with a friend who was looking for a dress to wear to a wedding...Oh yes their Sales Associates are extremely friendly and helpful...but the dress my friend liked they didnt have in her size....the Sales Associate told her they carried limited stock of everything in the store and she'd have to order it online---Does that even make sense?!?!?!?....my friend told her sorry it wouldnt arrive in time for the wedding....and at that price she certainly wasnt going to pay for expedited shipping....  BTW you can add Nieman Marcus, Saks, Lord & Taylor to that "overpriced not all that" list too.......

I agree with you.....I prefer IN STORE shopping too,---call it a "hobby".Woman Wink...although I do order some things online, but I hate to wait (and no $99 for Prime is not an answer) and then there's the hassle of picking up packages sent by USPS at our condo mail center during their hours etc. because UPS/Fed Ex deliveries are the only packages delivered to our door......Woman Frustrated

@Spurt Tell me about it... I lost interest in Nordstrom early on and more recently lost interest in L&T. The in store experience is nice, but their on-line and telephone CS is atrocious... And yea, I'm about ready to phase out Prime... It's just not worth it for me... and the price keeps going up... I don't use most of the Prime 'benefits' anyway... Not even to mention that the Big A's prices change with the wind... Also, like you, most packages end up at the concierge, so I have to go and retrieve them, which sort of defeats the purpose of 'two day shipping', assuming that what you're ordering is even 'Prime Eligible', which many items are not... Even though they might not be what they once were, I still do quite a bit of my shopping at TJX... I don't enjoy the mall experience all that much, so only go to the bigger stores occasionally... I went the other day to make a return at Macy's and to browse and left empty handed...

Honored Contributor

I know what you mean about Home Goods merchandise changing....even our higher scale Home Goods used to carry high end brands like Le Crueset, Fitz and Floyd, dinnerware and serving pieces from Italian manufacturers etc., ....But now no fancy kitchen brands....just the usual stuff you can get at Target....No Jones of NY clothes....

What I dont understand with this crazy retail battle taking place is how Bealls and Burlingtons stay in business?????????? Their stores are like ghost towns.............

Honored Contributor

@stevieb@I agree with all you stated.I find shopping dissapointing both online and in store.I think it is very difficult to find quality items that you can enjoy for years.Most stuff is disposable to encourage us to keep shopping I suppose.