Frequent Contributor

Re: TJ Maxx / Combined Marshalls & Home Goods

I agree! We dont have a Marshall's or Home Goods here but we do have a TJ Maxx and a Ross. I used to visit TJ Maxx frequently for Perfume and Cologne for me and the hubby. I also like getting raw honey at TJ Maxx. Now there is no good Name Brand Perfume or Cologne because of so much theft and the choices for much of anything have surely declined over the last year or so. I don't think that these stores are getting the inventory that they used to. Ross used to have pretty nice shoes, now most of what they have are obviously returns and look terrible. No good name brands left. You can still find a few good name brand shoes in TJ Maxx on occasion. I guess it might also depend on demographics however I live in a small town. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The 'pickens' not only vary by store and region, but seasonally... Despite that, yes, I too don't feel like I'm seeing nearly the level of merchandise I used to. I also don't think the stores are nearly as consistently nicely stocked as they once were. I suspect that with more and more 'nicer' retailers opening their own outlet type stores, the TJX stores aren't getting the pick of the really good stuff they might once have been able to procure as overstocks... 

As for the seasonal array, I find that while I browse the TJX stores often, the best merchandise tends to be as we approach the holiday season and when seasons change. That said, Homegoods right now is fraught with a lot of summery, picnic, nautical, beach themed stuff, which isn't my cup of tea. I was in the other day and was also overwhelmed by all the plastic dishware and glassware, which doesn't interest me.

I'll be interested to see how their new venture, the Homesense stores, are stocked when they open in my area.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I don't have many stores near me where I live now. So for me to be able to go to a TJ Maxx and Marshall's I'm thrilled! My stores are awesome. So much better than the dumps I rarely shopped at in the big city. I just saw a comparison shopping between Ross and TJ's and TJ's won hands down!!

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

Most of the product is now made for tjx, many brands are in house brands . The bigger labels are liscensing agreements. Youre not always getting the left over ralph lauren polo, the broyhill side table, your getting the made for..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

TJ MAXX/Marshalls/Homegoods always seems to have different levels of merchandise at different stores, and some stores seem to be on a higher scale than others and have better merchandise.....   

In our city you can go to one of the stores and the goods are very average and it looks like some manufacturer's overstocked junk.  Others have higher quality merchandise, and some even have a lot of furniture ......  The one nearest me is a combo TJ MAXX/Home Goods, it's a higher end store....and that store is always packed, they have nice quality stuff and always new and different....but the problem is this store is always packed and thats why its so messy---the aisles are filled with shoppers, and the poor workers are always busy trying to straighten stuff up and re-stocking shelves....the lines are long, but they have plenty of cashiers so it moves very quickly......

Other TJ Maxx only stores are just rather "blah".....

I also think it has to do with the store manager....There is a Marshalls that was real mess!!!!  Not so much the clothing but the home goods section.  One day I went in there and was SHOCKED---the store was styled up, neat and clean, and everything nicely displayed.....I told the cashier how nice the store looked and she told me---"new Manager"....so I think that has to be a factor to, whether the manager is really working to make the store a good place to shop...Or perhaps some Managers are content to collect a paycheck and do the minimum required to run the store.....

The store I have problem with is Ross the one closest to me was nothing but a dump...merchandise thrown all over the floors at all departments, junky and it just seemed dirty too...Then something happened they organized everything and stuff is actually on the shelves but its just creepy to me....I go there as a last resort....and its a tad unnerving to see a security guard up front as you walk in....I dont know if there's a problem with shop lifting or something else.....The store is in a very nice shopping center and in a nice part of town--Hallmark, Bed Bath & Beyond, Bath & Body Works, Old Navy, Pier 1, Ann Taylor, Brighten Collectibles, Chicos,Ulta Beauty, and a couple of restaurants.......And it's just that store that has security so obvious....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@physicsnut wrote:

Try Steinmart!  It is my #1 brick and mortar store!  Great brands and prices - especially in the Boutique!

@physicsnut

I really like our Steinmarts they are always clean and neat, their clothes are wonderful (great prices) and their merchandise is nice quality.  My only gripe is that some of them have cut back on their home goods section....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

The 'pickens' not only vary by store and region, but seasonally... Despite that, yes, I too don't feel like I'm seeing nearly the level of merchandise I used to. I also don't think the stores are nearly as consistently nicely stocked as they once were. I suspect that with more and more 'nicer' retailers opening their own outlet type stores, the TJX stores aren't getting the pick of the really good stuff they might once have been able to procure as overstocks... 

As for the seasonal array, I find that while I browse the TJX stores often, the best merchandise tends to be as we approach the holiday season and when seasons change. That said, Homegoods right now is fraught with a lot of summery, picnic, nautical, beach themed stuff, which isn't my cup of tea. I was in the other day and was also overwhelmed by all the plastic dishware and glassware, which doesn't interest me.

I'll be interested to see how their new venture, the Homesense stores, are stocked when they open in my area.

@stevieb

I wonder if their future plan with the Homesense stores is to reduce the home goods sections in the TJ Maxx/Marshalls to a bare minmum and move the majority of the home goods to the Homsense stores....Maybe thats why some are seeing a decline in merchandise they are saving the good stuff for the Homesense Stores........

...That one TJ/Home Goods combo store near me has a lot of furniture that seems to sell well, always new stuff in that section....but it takes up a lot of room....It will be interesting to see what happens, I hope they aren't ruining a good thing. 

A relative that worked in retail for many years first as a Department Manger, then Store Manager & then Buyer said JCP's demise started when they separated their furniture and home goods to separate stores and separate locations...That didnt work out for them and my relative said that cost them a small fortune to lease separate locations, and the sales of that merchandise came to a halt....they abandonded that idea but it was too late and JCP started their decline....I hope thats not the case with the TJ companies....They were are only hope against the mighty Amazon, and did well with customers preferring to shop locally than online....

Esteemed Contributor

When TJ Max first came to our town I was able to find some beautiful things. Then I noticed the decline. Two years ago, the store mover to the other side of town and I have been there only once. A Marshall’s came to a nearby town and there’s also slim pickings and nothing of interest.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt I understand your perspective. All it takes is one big misstep for an otherwise successful retailer to bite off more than they can chew and then crash and burn... One of my neighbors is a long time store manager with the TJX company and from what I gather Homesense, as it's planned anyway, will be different from Homegoods. I'm told there won't be much focus on kitchen goods, but a real focus on furniture, rugs, lighting, and things of that nature... The volume will be much higher in the way of those sorts of things than you tend to see at Homegoods... The average HG store might carry 75 or so rugs, for example, while Homesense might carry hundreds... 

What I'm more put out by is the decline in merchandise in the TJ Maxx and Marshall's stores... At one time you could really find fabulous clothes, handbags and accessories, fragrances and things for the home at good prices. You still can, but not routinely and the prices, like everywhere, aren't quite as good... I also used to shop for gifts for several men on my list and the men's department has really taken a big hit... At the same time, some of their policies have become less customer focused. Some of the stores are phasing out layaway. Those that are keeping it have long been charging a non-refundable layaway fee which jumped from five to ten dollars and is no longer put toward the price of the items on layaway... In the old days, if an item went on sale while in layaway you got the sale price but they no longer offer that perk... I guess things are tough all over or maybe, in part, they're getting too big for their britches... But at least they're still viable... I seem to have read that even Stein Mart is on the verge of bankruptcy...

Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Spurt It also seems that TJX is starting slowly, opening few Homesense stores and is opening them gradually... Perhaps they've learned the hard lesson from some retailers who seem to have put a store on every block and then ended up closing many of them... I understand there will be two in my metro area, but they won't be at all close to each other.