Frequent Contributor

TJ Maxx / Combined Marshalls & Home Goods

[ Edited ]

Has anyone noticed a decline in quality at these stores?  I know it is hit or miss but over the past six months or so I sense cheaper looking home decor (wall art for example) and less exciting clothing.  I know it depends on the store's location, but I am feeling a little disappointed since I have been a huge fan with most of my closet from TJ Maxx.  As for home goods, the one nearest to me just combined with Marshalls, which means a smaller store and long lines.  The stand alone Home Goods had amazing stuff and I was expecting the new store to be the same.  I have been to other combined stores in the area and sense a decrease in quality.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: TJ Maxx / Combined Marshalls & Home Goods

I have a local TJ Maxx and yes, I have noticed the same thing. Was at the mall where TJ Maxx is today, and walked right on by.

Honored Contributor

The TJ MAXX and Marshall's in my area have  always been awful.  I have never purchased anything from those stores, though I have been in them a few times because I hear such great things about them on these boards.  They are mostly empty buildings with merchandise that looks second hand and donated.

We have two brand new Home Goods Stores within driving distance. One is single and the other one is combined with Marshall's...both are huge stores. We finally got a Steinmart too. All  of the new stores are nice with a great selection.  

We are finally moving up in the world.  Now we need a Nordstrom's..oh how I wish.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The freestanding HomeGoods here are really good; the one that is combined with TJMaxx is a hot mess....looks like it is where they send all the things that didn't sell at the other stores. I haven't shopped at TJMaxx, that is less than a mile from my home, in years. The management is so poor, it doesn't make up for any merchandise I may want to buy.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@maisiebrook wrote:

Has anyone noticed a decline in quality at these stores?  I know it is hit or miss but over the past six months or so I sense cheaper looking home decor (wall art for example) and less exciting clothing.  I know it depends on the store's location, but I am feeling a little disappointed since I have been a huge fan with most of my closet from TJ Maxx.  As for home goods, the one nearest to me just combined with Marshalls, which means a smaller store and long lines.  The stand alone Home Goods had amazing stuff and I was expecting the new store to be the same.  I have been to other combined stores in the area and sense a decrease in quality.

Yes @maisiebrook. All 3 stores have gone downhill. I know I make the rounds between TJ and Marshall’s....only way to do it if there’s a chance of finding something. It seems that what’s left on the racks is always the “bottom of the barrel” stuff. My TJ has a designer area & there, too, the merchandise seems like it should be hung up w/ the rest on the floor.

Then again, the clothing/shoes/housewares in Nord. Rack and Steinmart have gotten junkie as well. I think the B&M stores are holding on to everything w/ sales down to 50% before unloading to discount stores....they’re trying to get any money from it. By the time it reaches discount, it’s really picked over.

Honored Contributor

I found 3 great pair of sunglasses last weekend at TJ Maxx, it was $36.00 for all 3, much better than over $100 each at Lord and Taylor

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

Try Steinmart!  It is my #1 brick and mortar store!  Great brands and prices - especially in the Boutique!

Honored Contributor

@maisiebrook. Yes...years ago I could go to my not so local (free standing) TJ Maxx and get great buys on name brand clothing, any more the clothes are junk and very old looking.  Big disappointment.  

There is another store in the area that is combined with Home Goods and the lines are ridiculously long.  As far as selection goes Home Goods seems pretty good the other store again the clothes are junky.

Honored Contributor

I have never gotten any deals on anything more high end at those stores, I found most of the stuff to be junky. 

Honored Contributor

I agree; I love Steinmart and it is close enough I can walk to it!