Honored Contributor

Re: THOSE robo calls are starting up

Unfortunately, there are a lot of mainstream carriers that are not compatible with nomorobo.   

But these days, there are a lot of phones that allow you to block numbers.  Plus, I can go into my account online and block.  But the problem is that these people are so insidioius that they use all kinds of numbers.   

I even turned the voicemail off this time around, because every now and then one of them will leave a message.   This is one of the banes of my existence.  It just shouldn't be allowed, especially when you pay extra for unlisted and private.   Auto-dialing is just patently wrong.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden and @chickenbutt,  It's not that the carriers don't allow Nomorobo at all.   The access is limited right now and doesn't include certain types of services.   For example, AT&T U-verse customers can use Nomorobo (I believe there might still be some locations that can't).   From the website:

"Unfortunately, Nomorobo is not available on traditional analog landlines or wireless phones at this time."

http://www.nomorobo.com/signup

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I have one that's listed as "Baby something". Looked it up on google!

I can't lose my land line because DH is a heart patient and in an emergency clogs the cell towers fill up!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shaggygirl wrote:

Starting up??? My landline NEVER has a day when several calls don't come in. Are they robocalls? Don't know don't pick up. A little while ago one came in with the caller ID showing the number as 000-000-0000. The March of Dimes harrasses every day from several different numbers, they are unrelenting. MADD has been on a calling spree as well every day for at least the past month from several different numbers. Sometimes when I'm cranky I'll pick up and I hit the answer button then keep hitting the # key just to annoy them.

@shaggygirl,  The strange numbers, like all zeros (or your own phone number), are what's called "caller ID spoofing."   For any of these calls, it's best not to answer.   When you pick up and especially if you respond with keys or voice, you've just notified them your number is active and it almost guarantees you'll be put on more lists for more calls.   With the charities you mentioned, have you tried calling them to let them know you want them to stop (and to be sure the calls actually are from the charitable organization and not a scam)? 

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

The scammers are also busy. I got a call from718-658-7748 this morning.  With an accent he said he was from the IRS.  I said this is a bogus call-should not have said anything.  Anyway,  I was quite shocked when he said "You are a f(*^%#@    wh*^$" and hung up.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This same number is used for the Microsoft scam.

Q, please don't zap this, the forum needs to know not to answer the number.

Honored Contributor

It has worked amazingly well or us, my house is so much quieter these days

@athenian wrote:

Check out No More Robo.  It blocks robo calls after one ring.  It's free.  Won't block those live callers from the "IRS" or "microsoft" but it has made our lives a lot quieter.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kjae wrote:

The scammers are also busy. I got a call from718-658-7748 this morning.  With an accent he said he was from the IRS.  I said this is a bogus call-should not have said anything.  Anyway,  I was quite shocked when he said "You are a f(*^%#@    wh*^$" and hung up.  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This same number is used for the Microsoft scam.

Q, please don't zap this, the forum needs to know not to answer the number.

@kjae, As I said before, by answering you're almost guaranteeing you'll get even more calls.   Most of these are computer-generated calls, just randomly scrolling through numbers.  If you answer, your number is marked as "active" and often shared or sold.    It's best not to answer if you don't recognize the caller ID info and to block the calls or use a service like Nomorobo if it's available to you.

We don't need to post the numbers that called us, here, because they're nearly always available if you do an internet search.   (And there are thousands of the offending numbers at this point).    Just go to your search engine and plug in the caller ID number.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I have AT&T for my landline and I was able to sign up for no more robo. Must be not all AT&T lines can sign up. 

Esteemed Contributor

I can't belive people answer a number they don't recognize.

Never gotten any polotico calls. Haven't seen any tv ads.

I must live differently.

Trusted Contributor

@athenian wrote:

Check out No More Robo.  It blocks robo calls after one ring.  It's free.  Won't block those live callers from the "IRS" or "microsoft" but it has made our lives a lot quieter.

Hi @athenian,

You can go into your nomorobo account and add in any numbers that you want to have it block for you, if it is not automatically blocking some of these common scam numbers.

It does automatically block the "IRS" and "Microsoft" scam calls that come in through to our number.