Honored Contributor

Re: THIS LOTTERY THING .....

To win a BILLION$$$$$$$$.... Wow! It would be so cool to heip others and  change the lives of people struggling or having hard times. That would be what I would do for the rest of my life.  I would love to help those that need dental work to give them money to fix everything!  I can think of so many things a person could do to help others and change lives.

Esteemed Contributor

Here's the thing, if there were to be only one winner, they would not have a billion dollars deposited in to their checking account.

The cash payout, would be something like $800 million, and then you take taxes off of that.

So, realistically, the winner would be getting more like $500 million, and NOT the one billion.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I rarely buy lottery tickets.  I did buy one this time around and got two numbers... not enough to win anything.  I wonder how many people won a little bit on this try even if it was a dollar or two?  

I also wonder how the winner survives...

1.  TEMPTION TO SPEND

2.  All those who find out and bombard that person with all kinds of deals, offers, attempts to HELP.  How do they ever sort out the good from the bad when there is so much money there for the taking.  I know I would not know where to start.  A million yes.. but all that!

3.  Relatives, friends and charities would come out of the woodwork!

But you are right this would not go to one person.  Government first, then family members, charities, and payoff for loans...and in my case I might like to replace my old car with a new one.  

First off, you find yourself a top-notch attorney, and financial advisor.

Any, and all offers go through them first.

Second, you can have it set up where your financial advisor sets you up with a monthly, or yearly "allowance", and if you go beyond that, you have to go through them to get more.

Valued Contributor

One winner, 10,000 winners.  It's all good.  Not sure why anyone has to win the lottery to help others.  Non-lottery winners can donate food to pantries, diapers to the diaper drive, used clothing to shelters, and the list goes on.  These small donations help quite a bit and don't require the giver to be worth a billion.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's been so long since I bought a ticket that after no one won the big pot last night, I went to readf about winning before buying another ticket.

I had no idea there were smaller pots -  all the way up to and including a million dollars that players can win.  I didn't look to see what, if any winners there were, but I assume there were some.

Knowing that, I will try again.  I wouldn't reject it all, but I's be happy with anything split - even one number in the right place!

ETA-  Goggle for specifics, but 18+ million players won over 159 million dollars.  I didn't look to see how it was split up.  Just glad to see lots of people at least got their ticket costs back if nothing much else and some must have won fairly big.

Honored Contributor

Most caring people do these things already

@Maudelynn wrote:

One winner, 10,000 winners.  It's all good.  Not sure why anyone has to win the lottery to help others.  Non-lottery winners can donate food to pantries, diapers to the diaper drive, used clothing to shelters, and the list goes on.  These small donations help quite a bit and don't require the giver to be worth a billion.

... but to be able to spend $25,000 on someone who has rotten teeth and give them a beautiful smile and their health back would be awesome.  Or pay off someones medical bills... sometimes it takes more than just diapers.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

... but to be able to spend $25,000 on someone who has rotten teeth and give them a beautiful smile and their health back would be awesome.  Or pay off someones medical bills... sometimes it takes more than just diapers.

How about we expand medicaid so people with rotten teeth can get dental care?  How about we make sure children have access to dentists and pediatricians so they don't grow up to have rotten teeth?  Many states already have these programs in place, thank goodness.

Doesn't take winning the lottery to get this stuff done

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Respected Contributor

Before I retired, we used to pool our money, ex.  $5 a person.  In our case if one of our tickets hit the jackpot, there would be ten people sharing the money.

A lot of people do this in hopes of increasing their odds and with this jackpot are probably putting in a sizeable amount per person.

Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

How about we expand medicaid so people with rotten teeth can get dental care?  How about we make sure children have access to dentists and pediatricians so they don't grow up to have rotten teeth?  Many states already have these programs in place, thank goodness.

I totally agree with this!  But it just is not happening. In the state I live in they make it impossible for people to get discounted dental care... or make those who need care wait so long they have to have the tooth pulled. It is going to take people with money to help those who need this care.. or caring dentists who offer their services for free( and that is not often enough.)

Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

How about we stick to the topic of this thread, which is the lottery.  One individual (as a lottery winner) cannot *directly* do any of the above *except* for the lottery winner, who can choose to donate their personal winnings to help those they choose to help.

Are you personally, or as part of some indefinable "We", in a position to provide all you have detailed above? Have an "in" with Congress? Can you force it to happen or otherwise *ensure* that it happens? No, I didn't think so.  But a lottery winner can help people directly.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all