Respected Contributor

Re: THINGS POLITE PEOPLE DONT'T DO ON THANKSGIVING

I think showing up too early is almost worse than arriving late. 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey 

My grandaughter  in her late 30's  and her dh  will be hosing for the 3d year...and in the invite..she always asks us to come early i we would like to.

Many of us do...and we offer to help her get ready  and we can visit for a while before everyone else arrives.

We are very low key and enjoy getting togther...once a year at Thanksgiving.

When my kids were still in high school   it was nothing  for one of them ask if a friend could also come  and eat w/us.......one year a d/i/l law brought her mom as she was recently widowed..   she knew i wouldn't mind...and it was nice to have her there also and not be alone..

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

Patriot, you make a very icky point. THANK YOU.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a fun converrsation.  I will say I don't own pets, so my home is not pet friendly.  I wouldn't mind someone bringing a small pet, but it would be nice to be asked ahead of time.  Also I wouldn't like the pet underneath the table when we're eating, or in someones lap, so it would be nice if they brought a bed or kennel for them to be in during the meal.  Otherwise, I'm very easy going, I do try to have fun buffet or theme dinners.  Then if anyone is delayed, they can simply join in when they get there.  It's too stressful for me to have a formal sit down dinner.  I also think people could put down their phones, or not migrate to the "game" until they've socialized with the hostess.  I will say It bothered my older relatives when there were children that were not polite and their parents were oblivious to their running or screaming.. 

Regular Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Patriot, you make a very icky point. THANK YOU.

@insomniac2 My dog does not beg at the table or sit under the table or on our lap or lick plates. She waits where I tell her to for the "last bites" that my husband and I save for her and feed to her by hand at the counter when we clear our dishes.  

At the last Thanksgiving gathering, the host's dog and 2 other guests small dogs didn't do those things either.  Well maybe the host dog begged a little.  

We don't just show up unannounced with our dog.  We ask and if the answer is no, we simply don't go.  No big deal. Most people we know are fine with dogs being included. If a particular guest was fearful or concerned, we would steer clear of her. We usually receive compliments and comments about what a great and very mellow dog she is. 

She is our family and the only family we have in our state.

Respected Contributor

to me even the people who would say you could bring your dog hope you cancel

Regular Contributor

Was that comment directed at me @lovescats?  Was it perhaps said in jest? If serious, it was very hurtful.  I'm grateful that no, my friends do not really want me to cancel.  They love my dog. So thankful. 

Honored Contributor

In my family, dogs are welcome, no one is allergic or fearful.

If it's true about birds of a feather, then the friends of vegans would be vegans too and could have Thanksgiving together to avoid being a problem guest. Afterward they could all stop by their individual families for coffee or a bit of holiday cheer.

Respected Contributor

@mrssweetiebear wrote:

Was that comment directed at me @lovescats?  Was it perhaps said in jest? If serious, it was very hurtful.  I'm grateful that no, my friends do not really want me to cancel.  They love my dog. So thankful. 

no it just my opinion about people bringing their pets to other people's homes   And I've seen one of my neighbors lie about it   

Honored Contributor

It's become common for couples to choose a child free lifestyle; their pets are their family. Dog welcoming homes, businesses, and restaurants are popular. Most dogs are well behaved, more so than some children and more welcome by many.