Honored Contributor

Re: THINGS POLITE PEOPLE DONT'T DO ON THANKSGIVING

@sandy53 wrote:

Please do not bring a dish you were not asked to bring.  Last year I was asked to bring pumpkin pie.  So I was happy to make one.  Another person bought one at a store and brought it.  Another year I was asked to bring sweet potatoes.  I was happy to do it.  But then another family brought sweet potatoes.  It's awkward.  

I can see that...but I look at it...the more the merrier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@insomniac2 wrote:

I'm sorry, SurferWife, but your insisting on bringing your dog along is, in my opinion, very selfish. (I'm afraid of dogs--I know, that's my problem--but I certainly couldn't enjoy a meal with a "guest" dog taking precedence). 

I know others will not agree with me.

@insomniac2   Well, I agree w/you 110%.  And what about the dog who tries to lick your plate or sits right beside you while you eat.  NO!!

@Patriot3   You would just die if you were invited to a friend of ours for dinner.  They have three cats and two dogs.  When she clears the table, she places the dishes on the floor for the animals to lick clean.  I have seen her put frying pans on the floor too.

Once she allowed the dogs to lick chocolate syrup from a bowl that held an ice cream sundae.  Dogs should not be eating chocolate.

It grosses me out.  i don't allow my pets to eat from my dishes.  They have their own.  Thankfully, she has a dish washer that sterilizes everything.

Her dogs have never been to my house.  No way would they be licking my dishes.

Trusted Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@arrabella wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

I am a gluten-free diabetic vegan. If you choose to invite me to your Thanksgiving meal, I expect to be fed as equally and heartily as any other guest at your meal. 

WOW!

======

@arrabella I have to think @MaryLamb was being facetious about people who demand things of their hosts. Those with special dietary needs can bring a little something that meets their needs. After all, companionship is what matters; not eating every item on the buffet!

After reading further, I figured out she was just being facetious.  But with some of the things I've seen and heard, it wouldn't surprise me that some would be that entitled!!  LOL!

Honored Contributor

@croemer wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

Please do not bring a dish you were not asked to bring.  Last year I was asked to bring pumpkin pie.  So I was happy to make one.  Another person bought one at a store and brought it.  Another year I was asked to bring sweet potatoes.  I was happy to do it.  But then another family brought sweet potatoes.  It's awkward.  

@croemer  - I just can't see why having an extra pumpkin pie or an extra dish of sweet potatoes would be "awkward" ?

As @sandy53 stated, the more the merrier.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

PLEASE if I invite you to dinner show up empty handed. PLEASE PLEASE do not bring a dish.  Especially if I ask you NOT to bring a dish.

Please do not bring me wine.  Please don't bring flowers.  Please just show up and have a good time!  That's all in the world I want you to do!  Be a guest!  Be MY guest! 

I promise, @Sooner.

But for us, wine is the ultimate host gift. In most gatherings, wine is offered; or of course, the hosts might have already chosed the wine and just keep the offering as a gift.

@suzyQ3 We always serve wine, we don't drink it so people bring wine and it sits and sits.  Then we buy wine for another dinner and MORE wine comes. . . 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

@insomniac2 wrote:

I'm sorry, SurferWife, but your insisting on bringing your dog along is, in my opinion, very selfish. (I'm afraid of dogs--I know, that's my problem--but I certainly couldn't enjoy a meal with a "guest" dog taking precedence). 

@insomniac2   Well, I agree w/you 110%.  And what about the dog who tries to lick your plate or sits right beside you while you eat.  NO!!

@Patriot3   You would just die if you were invited to a friend of ours for dinner.  They have three cats and two dogs.  When she clears the table, she places the dishes on the floor for the animals to lick clean.  I have seen her put frying pans on the floor too.

Once she allowed the dogs to lick chocolate syrup from a bowl that held an ice cream sundae.  Dogs should not be eating chocolate.

It grosses me out.  i don't allow my pets to eat from my dishes.  They have their own.  Thankfully, she has a dish washer that sterilizes everything.

@Carmie   OH so sorry, but I was asked too and will NEVER be able to attend.  HOW unfortunate. . . 

Honored Contributor

@croemer wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Make your guests pick their own seats ... ??

It means Do Not make your guests pick their own seats.

Image result for lol emoticons gif

@croemer  @Lindsays Grandma 

Uh ... DUH !    I just thought it odd that making guests pick their own seats was considered "impolite".   I guess you didn't understand the point.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@croemer wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

@croemer  - I just can't see why having an extra pumpkin pie or an extra dish of sweet potatoes would be "awkward" ?

@San Antonio Gal 

It depends on the host's intentions.  Some want to prepare and serve a chosen menu, and people come acting like it's a potluck dinner and get mad when their dish isn't put out with the others. 

When in doubt, call the hostess and see if it's okay.  JMO

Respected Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@croemer wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

I was taken aside one Thanksgiving by one of the daughters of my cousin and asked to tell my mother not to bring her pies to these holiday gatherings. The daughters were upset because my cousin would put my mother's pies out first, before her daughters', and their noses were out of joint because they weren't getting compliments from the guests. I nodded and didn't say anything, but I'd no more tell my mother not to bring pies than I'd tell her to wear flip-flops to a funeral. She'd have been devastated.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

@insomniac2 wrote:

@Carmie   Well that is just disgusting and nasty!!