Honored Contributor

Re: THINGS POLITE PEOPLE DONT'T DO ON THANKSGIVING

@Isobel Archer   Why did she say she was making it at your home?  Did she break her oven, or was the electricity out?  That's a new one, I've never heard of.  

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Isobel Archer   Why did she say she was making it at your home?  Did she break her oven, or was the electricity out?  That's a new one, I've never heard of.  

If you're talking about the pie lady - that was Sooner.

I once had someone want to cook their dish (brought for a potluck) in my oven while I was still cooking something else, and once someone wanted me to help her chop veggies for her salad while I was busy - but Soomer's story tops mine.

Frequent Contributor

This happened to me:

I brought some delicious homemade cranberry sauce and a lovely dish of homemade rice pudding.  The bitch said to me: "Why did you knock yourself out?  This tastes just like the stuff in the can........" 

I said to her: "Yes, just like your spaghetti sauce." 

Valued Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

Or make their mommy go and buy different rolls because the host didn't have the kind they liked.  My niece did that one year.  That was the last time I had thanksgiving with my husband's family. 

Why was that a problem?  If her parents paid for the rolls why is it an issue?  

Respected Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

Or make their mommy go and buy different rolls because the host didn't have the kind they liked.  My niece did that one year.  That was the last time I had thanksgiving with my husband's family. 

What if instead of just rolls at someone's house they went and bought her a happy meal instead?

Respected Contributor

Then her nuggets wouldn’t affect my dinner.
Valued Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

What if instead of just rolls at someone's house they went and bought her a happy meal instead?

I would say enjoy.  Thanksgiving is about being with family and friends.  The meal is just what we center that time together around.  I eat French fries with my turkey.  I love the combination.  My grandfather loved rutabegas, we made them every year.  What was on the table or what someone was eating never spoiled our day.  As long as the parents didn't expect the hosts to buy the rolls then what's the big deal?  

Honored Contributor

@liliblu  The big deal was that the child should not have been rewarded for making an issue, voicing disapproval, of the host's rolls. Criticism of what's being served is never acceptable. It was a teaching opportunity which this mother failed and instead is promoting entitled rude behavior..

Respected Contributor

Heh, maybe you’re overthinking it. Large family gatherings can be stressful. If a Happy Meal makes a young guest feel more comfortable, I’d just mind my business.
Honored Contributor

I didn't suggest saying anything to this mother or her child or minding her business. However, that mother would never be receiving an invitation from me.

I believe we have a responsibility to prepare our children for their future and manners are important if they are to be successful and welcomed in society.