Honored Contributor

THERE'S A NEW CAT IN TOWN..................

[ Edited ]

Herman, born on February 27, 2016, is an Exotic Shorthair kitten rapidly gaining popularity for his unusually large eyes. The eyes are so massive that this nugget looks perpetually scared.

Herman lives in Copenhagen with his owner, Shirley. She says on Herman’s Instagram that, contrary to other reports, “he can in fact close his eyes but it’s not a comfortable resting position and he therefore sleeps with them slightly open.” 

Shirley said she has to listen to his tiny kitten snores in order to tell if he’s napping or not, according to Metro. She also indicated that his eyes do get watery during the day and she has to clean them fairly often. 

When Herman was born, he had to be hand-fed because he couldn’t put on weight in his first few weeks of life. Shirley says that as a result, he is extremely comfortable around humans, according to Telegraph.

“He is both a special cat due to his peculiarly big eyes giving him a funny but sweet look and due to his loving nature,” she told the site.

Other reports have indicated that cats like Herman who are born with large eyes can sometimes be diagnosed with spontaneous lens luxation later in lie. As of now, vets say that Herman is “perfectly healthy.” Thank goodness.

We could stare at Herman all day long. Which, courtesy of his Instagram, we can actually do!

Herman The Scaredy Cat

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

Re: THERE'S A NEW CAT IN TOWN..................

Is that photoshopped? Looks so odd to me.

Honored Contributor

@catlover

Herman is adorable and purrfect. Thank you for introducing him and his story. #Loved

Honored Contributor

no-he's real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could kiss every inch of him!

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Respected Contributor

Herman is a beauty--big eyes and all.

I purchased a lilac-point Himalyan--could not decide between this white one (Miss Gabby whom I chose), or her sister who had fawn colored fur which was more desirable...but her eyes were "bugged out" like little Herman's so I chose my Gabby with more normal eyes.  (Found out later that her sister was shipped to Russia by the breeder to a buyer....my Gabby was glad I chose her, or she would be drinking Vodka for sure).

Gabby.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I sincerely hope this little darling has been neutered before someone decides to create a new breed of cat.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Instead of breeding new breeds of fancy cats, I wish we could give good homes to all the existing cats.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Valued Contributor

Exotic Shorthair is already a breed of cat.  It is a cross between an American Shorthair and a Persian. 

I have a female tabby ES who is 3 years old.  She is probably the best behaved kitty we have ever had. 

It's like we told her the house rules, and she said "OK, I can live with that, just love me up every day."

I am a sucker for the "smushy" faces, and the stocky Persian body type.  She is more interactive than past Persians have been, and doesn't need the constant grooming.

If we didn't think 3 kitties were enough, I wouldn't hesitate to find another ES.  DH would add another British Blue if he could.  Then we would have 5 and we are already out numbered with 3!

Honored Contributor

Poor thing.  

I just hope he's not in pain or uncomfortable now or later in life. 

Respected Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

Herman is a beauty--big eyes and all.

I purchased a lilac-point Himalyan--could not decide between this white one (Miss Gabby whom I chose), or her sister who had fawn colored fur which was more desirable...but her eyes were "bugged out" like little Herman's so I chose my Gabby with more normal eyes.  (Found out later that her sister was shipped to Russia by the breeder to a buyer....my Gabby was glad I chose her, or she would be drinking Vodka for sure).

Gabby.jpg

Just gorgeous!  And the lilac point is usually the least common!!

Hyacinth