Super Contributor

Re: THE UNICORN IN TAPESTRY ART

@Oznell wrote:

I do love unicorns, always have (she admitted bravely).  Of course, the various medieval tapestries that depict them, notably the series called "The Hunt of the Unicorn" in the Cloisters in N.Y.C.,  and the collection called "The Lady and the Unicorn" in France, are of special interest.

419px-The_Unicorn_in_Captivity_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

This famous image, "The Unicorn in Captivity",  from "The Hunt of the Unicorn" series, has such a fresh poignance-- that beautiful, elusive creature surrounded by its little fence.  Tell me, you other unicorn fanciers, that this doesn't grab you every time!

Needless to say, the unbelievably intricate detail and lore of these tapestries could fill many books.  I found this old (mid-Seventies) video from the Metropolitan Museum that goes through the whole shebang, with lots of close-ups. I think it's about 15 minutes.  Have been going through in stages, as time permits. 

The film quality and lighting are not the best, be warned.  But the music is a gentle sea of tranquillity, and the plummy tones of the narrator transport the listener to the late 1400-1500's when the weavers art could do justice to these magical little animals and their environs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzthzlLzAzg

In my own personal collection (ahem) I have just two unicorn representations, which I think is quite restrained of me.  One is an enamel pendant of a fanciful, apricot colored, sweet-expressioned unicorn.  And I have a vintage brass unicorn, in a reclining position, which I like to display on a stack of books.  If any mythical animal would be a bookworm, wouldn't a unicorn?

OP: Back in the 80s I went to the Cloisters in NYC and fell in love with this tapestry and bought the kit being sold by the Met. It took me 3 years to finish it. I am very picky when working on a canvas (so was my mother!). The worked project came out just perfect.  I had it professionally framed with matte glass to protect it. It is one of my prize possessions.  I was never a unicorn fan but this tapestry is just beautiful. As I worked on it I thought of those long ago ladies who worked the tapestry on a blank canvas.

Honored Contributor

Each and every response in this "unicorn" thread has been so interesting, enriching, and revealing of the varied interests and talents of the posters! 

Trusted Contributor

@OznellI was always fascinated by the Unicorn in Captivity too. Of all creatures, that always seemed like the last one in the world that should live in captivity. I always used to make up scenarios in my head as to how that situation transpired. Are there actually stories behind the tapestries?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Trusted Contributor

@cherryThank you. I just read the explanation that you posted. I really don't see the connection to the captive unicorn and the resurrection. Perhaps I will just continue to make up my own stories about the tapestry and the unicorn.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@abbalulu  I don't understand that either. Perhaps it is a symbol of heaven?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

419px-The_Unicorn_in_Captivity_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

In this image, the unicorn shows to me a certain nobility and purity of spirit.  Some might  choose to interpret the look as one of some arrogance and sense of superiority.  I do not.  What I see is a spirit so apart and so different from that of other sublunary beings that it is singular.  It is one of a kind or, at the very least, rare.  It is rare because of its refined and pure nature.

First and perhaps foremost, I sense a certain tender vulnerability.

Honored Contributor

I am moved to name this unicorn "oznell."

Honored Contributor

Oh, my gosh, sweet @golding76!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Wow, @just bee,  you are amazing!  Not only do I fiercely envy you your adorable unicorn collection,  I often wear "Toujours Moi" in the winter time!

I never knew that "Toujours Moi" offered unicorn items as part of their line-  how cool!  So glad you saved these precious objects from the fire!

@Oznell 

The one thing I didn't save was the bottle of Toujours Moi I'd picked up after years of not smelling it.  It smelled the same!  Good to hear someone else appreciates that fragrance!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

Sleep with a unicorn.....

from Society6 online