Honored Contributor

Re: THE ROYAL BABY MAY HAVE TO BE BORN IN A HOSPITAL

@millieshops wrote:

@chrystaltreeLike the whole world, I don't know what's going on with the royal baby, but I do remember because she told the story so often that a friend of mine was told she was having an"elderly" pregnancy when she went to her obstetrician with her 4th pregnancy.  And she was only 35 at the time - and a healthy 35 who'd already given birth to 3 children easily.  Still her doctor was concerned because of her age.  I know this was long was long ago, but maybe pregnancies haven't changed all that much?

You are half right.  The medical term is Elderly Primigravida and your experience must have been many years ago.  It means a woman who is pregnant fr the first time at or above the age of 35.  The older a woman is, the higher her risk.  But this is 2019 and a healthy 37 year old would not be considered high risk today.  Women in their 40's and even early 50's are having babies today.  Women's bodies haven't changed but medical opinions and standards of care and medical technology have.  As for your friend from years ago, even then it was incorrect to describe her as an Elderly Primigravida if she given birth to children.  

Honored Contributor

She wanted a home birth.  We have no idea of the circumstances of her pregnancy.  I'm sure she will have this baby under the safest of circumstances, whether in the hospital or at home.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma  I agree with you EXCEPT that I don't believe that "most women" give birth at the age of 37! I have not seen any stats to support this.

I am 71 and know lots of much younger women, all of whom gave birth in their 20's or very early 30's!

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

There will be a helicopter standing buy to transport Meghan to the hospital if there is an emergency when she goes into labor or needs a hospital setting to give birth.

This has been reported weeks ago.  We do not know if she is overdue as we were not given an exact due date.  Sometime in spring...late April, early May. It is still early May.

MAnd there goes the plan to keep it secret if that happens.

I haven't read anything that said they are planning to keep it a secret.  The only news I have seeen mentions that they want to spend time alone with family before they go public...no pictures or public appearance  hours after the birth.

The Palace said they would infor the public when the baby is in the way.  I don't think the  Queen would lie.

Respected Contributor

The British tabloids are tired of waiting so they make up stories. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd read about the helicopter on standby... Wonder what that's costing... Nice, I guess, if one can afford it, all so she can have the home birth of her dreams and enjoy that 'private' bonding time... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@MalteseMomma  I agree with you EXCEPT that I don't believe that "most women" give birth at the age of 37! I have not seen any stats to support this.

I am 71 and know lots of much younger women, all of whom gave birth in their 20's or very early 30's!

My mother gave birth to me when she was 36, then she had my brother when she was 38 and my younger sister when she was 39.  Oh wait!  My youngest brother came along when my mother was almost 43.

Today, more than ever before, it is not uncommon to give birth in your 30's. Many  couples tend to be close to 30 when they get married. (Of course, they live together beforehand.)

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreeThanks for the info which makes total sense to me.  My friend's experience WAS many, many years ago and like so much of medicine we've seen great advances in, I'm glad there're are advances for mothers-to-be, too.

I always believed my friend was more surprised or even insulted at being considered "old" at 35 than she was worried about the birth!

Honored Contributor

Meaghan is very healthy.  Unless there are last minute complications or the baby is very large, she can deliver at home.

Trusted Contributor

CNN said on air yesterday that the palace will be announcing the birth.  I'm not sure if this is true, just what I heard them say.