Trusted Contributor

Re: THE ROCKETTES! Are there things you just never get tired of?

Never ever get tired of the Rockettes.  Only missed a few years of seeing them.  This will be my 2nd year of not getting to Rockefeller Center at Christmas time or seeing the Christmas Spectacular.  I am always amazed at the precision.  A very long time ago I was a dancer and danced in the Nutcracker at Carnegie Hall.  That seems like another person's life to me now.

I had a really good cry last night Woman Sad 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nycgrl wrote:

Never ever get tired of the Rockettes.  Only missed a few years of seeing them.  This will be my 2nd year of not getting to Rockefeller Center at Christmas time or seeing the Christmas Spectacular.  I am always amazed at the precision.  A very long time ago I was a dancer and danced in the Nutcracker at Carnegie Hall.  That seems like another person's life to me now.

I had a really good cry last night Woman Sad 

Oh my goodness -  My dad dated a Rockette for many years!  Her nickname was "Beaver."  I know what you're thinking...We were all like, really Dad, Beaver? But only because, when she wasn't dancing, she was a runway model for a furrier...

Sometimes....we just need a good cry...

I hope letting it out helped....I always feel better until I see how puffy my eyes are!

My wish for you next year is that you can find your way back to spend your holiday in NYC if that's your desire-

Your dancing is still your life and a part of who you are....nothing can change that....

I've been touched by your previous  thread....went to bed with all of you in my thoughts last night.....You remain in my thoughts today....

Honored Contributor

Bit of triva: One of my aunts was a Rockette.

She had amazing stories; they were (are) excellent examples of how rigid society was in the 50's.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love the Rockettes and their Christmas show is great fun... Do wish, though, that NBC would actually let them do a number once in a while. Every year, it's the same thing... about a minute snippet of 'Let Christmas Shine' and the kickline... I get it that the stage is small and actually, I don't think that was the whole troup performing. Well worth seeing in person. They used to have a road troup that went from city to city but I think they did away with it, which is a shame.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I saw the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular today and what  struck me - in addition to the fabulous Rockettes - was that the show was so unapologetically a Christmas - not a "holiday" show.

It began with Santa - which the kids truly loved, moved through the Nutcracker, and ended with the reading from Luke and the travels of the Magi to see the baby Jesus.

This was NYC and they do four shows a day - all of which are packed - and people cheered - both for Santa - and for Jesus.  The cheering for the hymns was as loud as for the other songs.

Interesting that we are led to believe that it is somehow bigoted and exclusive to celebrate Christmas - as opposed to "the holidays" , but here in NYC people are flocking to a show that does just that.  Hmmmm.

Trusted Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I saw the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular today and what  struck me - in addition to the fabulous Rockettes - was that the show was so unapologetically a Christmas - not a "holiday" show.

It began with Santa - which the kids truly loved, moved through the Nutcracker, and ended with the reading from Luke and the travels of the Magi to see the baby Jesus.

This was NYC and they do four shows a day - all of which are packed - and people cheered - both for Santa - and for Jesus.  The cheering for the hymns was as loud as for the other songs.

Interesting that we are led to believe that it is somehow bigoted and exclusive to celebrate Christmas - as opposed to "the holidays" , but here in NYC people are flocking to a show that does just that.  Hmmmm.

I get where you're coming from, but isn't the show called the "Christmas Spectacular".  It's been that for as long as I can remember.  It is enjoyed by all - especially children.  The 3d is awesome!  It is tradition and always will be.  Hope you enjoyed the show - I know I do everytime I have seen it.  Never gets old.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Growing up, we used to go into the city at Christmas and see the show at Radio City.  It was a magical time and we always went to Chock Full o' Nuts to eat.  Now that I live in the Midwest I miss it terribly; there is nothing like NYC at Christmas time.  When they came here on tour, I made sure to take my husband who had never seen the show.

My cousin (father's nephew) was a manager at Radio City when I was young.  Much to my surprise, about five years ago I learned that my aunt (mother's sister) had been a Rockette.