Honored Contributor

Re: THE QUESTION; DO YOU LIKE GETTING OLDER? PART TWO

I'm kind of used to it by now.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

As I posted, I am 85. This post makes me curious if there are any the same age or older. I guess I'm not your ordinary grandmother. :womanhappy

Culottes:Boots.JPG

Super Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma Great question.  I don't mind getting older.  I have had a good life, family, friends, travel, career.  I wish my health was better, but I take each day and remember no matter how much pain I am in there are people that would love to be able to feel pain but can't because they are paralyzed and can feel nothing.  Then I say this pity party is over and find something to be joyful about.  I wanted to highlight my brown hair but mother nature is taking of that.  I like the look and am thankful for all the money I am saving by not paying to have it done.   

Getting older is a new phase of my life and there are a lot of new things going on  and can only be experienced as an older person.   

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

No I don't like it, but I like it better than the alternative. I have made peace with getting older, I try to stay active and thank goodness my husband is still alive and well. I am lucky enough to be married to a great guy, not perfect, but so much better than what my sisters are stuck with. I don't worry about the future, what's gonna be is gonna be. My son is only 35 and he will take care of anything that needs taking care of when I cannot. In a way I'm glad I won't live to see my son become an old man. I consider that a plus.

Honored Contributor

@Still Stylish Lady wrote:

As I posted, I am 85. This post makes me curious if there are any the same age or older. I guess I'm not your ordinary grandmother. :womanhappy

Culottes:Boots.JPG

@Still Stylish Lady  God love Ya, I'm not your age, but my aunt is and she looks as good as you for 85, but she could never wear those high skinny heels. Rock on!

Valued Contributor

I doubt anyone "likes" getting older.  The years really start flying.  Hard to believe the year 2000 was 20 years ago.   My husband still reminds me of how I was worried I would never remember to put 2000 on my checks.

Thinking your kids will always be there to help is not a good idea.   My good friend's son recently unexpectedly passed away at 28.   Heartbreaking.

It's scary thinking of being on the earth without ny husband, or he being here without me. Not something we really thought about 20 years ago, even though it's a possibility at any age, of course.

Honored Contributor

I don't see any point to questions like this. Why even think about liking or not liking it?  Every day God gives you is your to make the most of it you can, or want to, whether you are 19 or 95. 

Be as happy as you can, as thankful as you can, as good to others as you can, and take full advantage of any blessing you have or be as much of a blessing you can be to someone else.

Beyond that, what does it matter?  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I don't see any point to questions like this. Why even think about liking or not liking it?  Every day God gives you is your to make the most of it you can, or want to, whether you are 19 or 95. 

Be as happy as you can, as thankful as you can, as good to others as you can, and take full advantage of any blessing you have or be as much of a blessing you can be to someone else.

Beyond that, what does it matter?  

@SoonerI get what you are saying, my faith is important to help me get through this life too, but there are people who do not believe in God. I can see if you are alone and have experienced loss and don't have faith to rely on, aging and decline can be a real downer. So, I guess maybe that's the point. Sometime people just need someone to talk to and that's what the forum is all about.No.

Esteemed Contributor

@gramgrandkids1 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma Great question.  I don't mind getting older.  I have had a good life, family, friends, travel, career.  I wish my health was better, but I take each day and remember no matter how much pain I am in there are people that would love to be able to feel pain but can't because they are paralyzed and can feel nothing.  Then I say this pity party is over and find something to be joyful about.  I wanted to highlight my brown hair but mother nature is taking of that.  I like the look and am thankful for all the money I am saving by not paying to have it done.   

Getting older is a new phase of my life and there are a lot of new things going on  and can only be experienced as an older person.   

@gramgrandkids1 ...I gave up on the hair coloring too, if I had all the money I spent in hair salons for styling and color for decades  I'd be financially well off.  

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam