Esteemed Contributor

THE QUESTION; DO YOU LIKE GETTING OLDER? PART TWO

[ Edited ]

Page Two

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken.  How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet get's hit by a car?  But broken hearts are what gives us strength, and understanding and compassion.  A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turn gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.

So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn gray.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive.  You care less about what other people think.  I don't question myself anymore.  I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So to answer your question, I like being old.  I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.  And I shall eat desert every single day (if I feel like it.)

And to my friends I say, may our friendship never come apart, especially when it's from the heart!

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: THE QUESTION; DO YOU LIKE GETTING OLDER? PART TWO

(thread title)

@Lindsays Grandma 

Unless you know something I don't, there is only 1 other option to answer your question. I've listed the 4 "types of age" many times on these forums, so I will spare anyone that reads this.

I have no problem with getting "chronologically older". I have always been a believer in "it's the life in my years, not how many years in my life". Live each day to it's fullest as much as possible, and will continue to do so as long as physically and mentally able to do so. 

He!! yeh, I like getting older! Thanks for asking,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Do I like getting older??  No, not particularly!  Do I like still being alive??  YES!!! 

Getting older -- old --- is so much more challenging than I ever thought it would be.  I thought when you got older, all your problems would be gone and you would have this carefree, peaceful life ---- no-one to bug you, no stress, no worries!  I never imagined how much your body, face, health, stamina --- everything --- changes!  When you're young, you just think the way you are is just the way you will remain!  Hence, you don't really appreciate your health, vitality, looks, etc.  It's a real kick in the pants, for sure!!!! 

Don't get me wrong --- there are SOME good things!  Such as -- now, I finally am retired!  And - I know who I am --- it took me a long, long time to figure out that there is nothing wrong with me and that I am fine to just be me!  I don't have to conform to what everyone else thinks or who they think I should be!  I don't put up with a bunch of garbage any more that I used to in my younger years.  If there are things that cause me pain, stress, anxiety, anger, etc., that I can avoid --- I do!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

That was good and I agree.Time passes by so fast now, I laugh more, don't hold grudges and don't stay mad about something for long.  No way will I waste what time I have left on all those waste of times.  I do have times of worry, but have cast it to the wind, to adjust as I go along, come what may.  It teaches you really how you don't have the control you'd like to think you have.  

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Do I like getting older??  No, not particularly!  Do I like still being alive??  YES!!! 

Getting older -- old --- is so much more challenging than I ever thought it would be.  I thought when you got older, all your problems would be gone and you would have this carefree, peaceful life ---- no-one to bug you, no stress, no worries!  I never imagined how much your body, face, health, stamina --- everything --- changes!  When you're young, you just think the way you are is just the way you will remain!  Hence, you don't really appreciate your health, vitality, looks, etc.  It's a real kick in the pants, for sure!!!! 

Don't get me wrong --- there are SOME good things!  Such as -- now, I finally am retired!  And - I know who I am --- it took me a long, long time to figure out that there is nothing wrong with me and that I am fine to just be me!  I don't have to conform to what everyone else thinks or who they think I should be!  I don't put up with a bunch of garbage any more that I used to in my younger years.  If there are things that cause me pain, stress, anxiety, anger, etc., that I can avoid --- I do!!!

Well said and it expresses my feelings almost exactly.  To add I have learned so many life lessons but now I don't have the time left or youth to put them to use.  So what good are the lessons I have learned....young people sure don't want to hear them.  They think their path is something new.  I cannot go back and change anything with this new found knowledge so just look back on my regrets which are so numerous.  When young I had no time to think about stuff...now too much time.  The only good thing I have found about getting old is that your are not dead. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Getting older is better than the alternative.

I remember a neighbor turning 25 and looked forward to it myself.

I remember my parents turning 40 and thought they were so old.  Then it was me.

I remember my parents retiring and thought they were old.  Then it was me.

Age 65 was weird but the best thing was going on Medicare and supplemental policy.  It covers so much more and saves me a few hundred dollars per month compared to my employer/retiree plan.  

I have a pretty stress-free life now.  I had high profile and very stressful positions at work and it's wonderful to not have to deal with that and the corporate world anymore.

I'm busier now than when I worked fulltime (50-60 hrs/wk).  My social life is so much fun.  I help take care of my dad and disabled sister. I volunteer with a couple of charities. I joined a couple of groups.  I went on a cruise to Central and South America.  

That said, I'm also coming face to face with my mortality.  I've always been afraid of dying but even that seems to have gradually decreased over the years.  

Super Contributor

I'm 85 and consider myself fortunate to have gone this far and in good health. People marvel that I am able to walk in my favorite high heel shoes and boots. Dressing up on Sunday for church and dining out gives me great pleasure. I work out regularly and do most all my own yard/garden work. Life is indeed good. 

Honored Contributor

I am only one day older than I was yesterday.  This pattern has repeated itself every day since I have been born.  

I am looking forward to to tomorrow. I have no complaints about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I consider myself lucky to have made it to 63 in good health. I don't look my age.I'm grateful that I got to see my son grow up attend law school & become engaged.My BFF died 11 years ago & never saw 2 out of 3 of her daughters get married.

All this being said I'm definitely not liking getting older.I can do without the aches & pains.I can also do without the worry that something will happen to DH or myself that would leave one of us alone.That scares the heck out of both of us.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

So many have made excellent observations and shared their philosophy.  For the greater part, I agree.  But at my age, I still consider myself a work in progress.  I am conscious of my good points and what I have achieved.  But I am also conscious of my faults and failings.  I am still striving to be the best version of myself.  I continue to stand up for my beliefs,

care deeply about others, risking being unpopular with some, but striving to be kind and caring.  I am always still learning, yes, at age 75.