Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE QUESTION; DO YOU LIKE GETTING OLDER? PART TWO

@Still Stylish Lady wrote:

As I posted, I am 85. This post makes me curious if there are any the same age or older. I guess I'm not your ordinary grandmother. :womanhappy

Culottes:Boots.JPG

@Still Stylish Lady ... You look fantastic!!!

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

I don't mind getting older but I'm saddened by losing friends and family to complications from disease and old age.  It really makes all of the trivial disagreements seem unimportant.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Do I like getting older??  No, not particularly!  Do I like still being alive??  YES!!! 

Getting older -- old --- is so much more challenging than I ever thought it would be.  I thought when you got older, all your problems would be gone and you would have this carefree, peaceful life ---- no-one to bug you, no stress, no worries!  I never imagined how much your body, face, health, stamina --- everything --- changes!  When you're young, you just think the way you are is just the way you will remain!  Hence, you don't really appreciate your health, vitality, looks, etc.  It's a real kick in the pants, for sure!!!! 

Don't get me wrong --- there are SOME good things!  Such as -- now, I finally am retired!  And - I know who I am --- it took me a long, long time to figure out that there is nothing wrong with me and that I am fine to just be me!  I don't have to conform to what everyone else thinks or who they think I should be!  I don't put up with a bunch of garbage any more that I used to in my younger years.  If there are things that cause me pain, stress, anxiety, anger, etc., that I can avoid --- I do!!!

Well said and it expresses my feelings almost exactly.  To add I have learned so many life lessons but now I don't have the time left or youth to put them to use.  So what good are the lessons I have learned....young people sure don't want to hear them.  They think their path is something new.  I cannot go back and change anything with this new found knowledge so just look back on my regrets which are so numerous.  When young I had no time to think about stuff...now too much time.  The only good thing I have found about getting old is that your are not dead. 

@chiclet 

We have gained a lot more knowledge as we've aged, haven't we?  Even if no-one else wants to listen to it, I feel grateful that I have learned so much about myself and life in general, and have learned how to apply it to my own life.  I feel so much more at peace with myself --- knowing that I don't have to be anyone or anything but what I am!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Still Stylish Lady wrote:

I'm 85 and consider myself fortunate to have gone this far and in good health. People marvel that I am able to walk in my favorite high heel shoes and boots. Dressing up on Sunday for church and dining out gives me great pleasure. I work out regularly and do most all my own yard/garden work. Life is indeed good. 

@Still Stylish Lady 

Good for you!  I see your pictures once in awhile and you look wonderful!  I wish I could still wear my stylish footwear!  Sounds silly, but this is a regret of mine!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin