Esteemed Contributor

THE QUESTION; DO YOU LIKE GETTING OLDER? PART ONE

[ Edited ]

Page 1

I can hit the golf ball any way I can and laugh if it goes in the lake.  Them's the breaks.  I'm just happy I can still hit that golf ball.

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself.  I've become my own friend.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read, or play on the computer, until 4 AM, or sleep until noon?  I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 and 70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach, in a swimsuit stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves, with abandon, if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.  They too, will get old.

I am sometimes forgetful.  But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten.  And, I eventually remember the important things.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Super Contributor

Re: THE QUESTION; DO YOU LIKE GETTING OLDER? PART ONE

i embrace my old age. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma 

Same as what I said in Part 2. I saw that one first.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

The best thing about getting older is that it beats the alternative. 

Respected Contributor

just yesterday i came across an old photo of me when i was in my early 30's.   first thing i thought was that i look WAY better today than i did then.  my hair is now grey (and i love it) . i am carrying 20 more pounds now (i thought i looked WAY too skinny back then) and i have wrinkles and cellulite galore.  i don't mind wearing a pair of shorts now and then (although i prefer skimmers) and i do not have any problem wearing a bathing suit when i am at the beach or the pool. 

even though i can't physically do what i could do back then, i am still happy where i am today.  more importantly, i am grateful.  i feel so blessed that i am able to have a roof over my head and food on my table.  i am still able to drive myself where i need to go and i feel safe in my home and in my community.  when i walk the dog early in the morning or late at night i almost always say a prayer of gratitude for all of the things i have mentioned.  

Frequent Contributor

No, I don't like getting older.  You are closer to death with each birthday.        

Respected Contributor

@auntgranny wrote:

No, I don't like getting older.  You are closer to death with each birthday.        

LOL.  Yes, there is that.  I don't like dealing with health issues that seem to come out of nowhere.  And, the lack of energy sometimes. 

Honored Contributor

I hate getting older health wise things go downhill, but what’s the alternative ( death)?

Respected Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma 

No, I don't like getting older.  It seems like I have aches/pains that I never had before.  And I'm not able to move as well as I did when I was younger...  Plus the weight gain (which is my fault, I know).  I did feel better when I was younger, maybe just 5-10 years ago..

But I do understand the 'freedom' that you spoke of .  

Honored Contributor

I never even thought about it ...

Most of my friends are older than I am.  At 77, I'm often reminded that I'm "just a kid"  by one 90+ friend.   In another "social circle" .... there are just two of us left ... and he's turnng 88 in a couple of months.  I was also "the kid" in that group!  Smiley Wink 

I active and involved with various groups - plenty to keep me busy.

And ... getting older sure beats the alternative ... getting dead!