Honored Contributor

Re: THE PHRASE "WINTER WONDERLAND"

give me winter wonderland for at least half of the year and i would be VERY happy!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I'm in New England, so winter is a given.  I like the four distinct seasons and the calm after a snowstorm, when the world is quiet and everything is pristine and sparkling is truly beautiful.  My father used to look at the sunlight glistening off freshly fallen snow and say "thousands of diamonds" and that phrase has stayed with me to this day.

I've also seen car lights hit the ice coating bare tree branches on a dark night and it literally took my breath away.

On the practical side, at some point next month, I'll be putting the plow on my truck, getting the shovels and snowblower ready and be as prepared as I can for the coming Nor'easters.  Even I would love it, if we could keep each storm down to less than a foot - it just doesn't work that way.  But, if you can't take the winters, you don't deserve the summers; that's what they say around here.

Esteemed Contributor

Living in New England all my life, I can say I love snow.  I do love snow even more now that we are retired and do not have to go out until roads are clear.  I try not to worry about everyone in our family navigating the snow.  And our long driveway is plowed for us.

I love to see the snow falling and blanketing the trees and earth.  And I have such fond memories of winter activities with our kids so long ago.  Our home is surrounded by large trees, and we love feeding the birds.  

Esteemed Contributor

Gosh, if you hate it that much, why don't you move back to California?

I love snow when it's fresh and falling and all the world is quiet and you can almost hear each big flake hit the ground.  I used to wish for snow.

I admit I love it the most when I can be home and watch it fall -- if I have to get out and drive in it, then it's not so pleasant.  Didn't bother me when I was younger, but now I'm a nervous wreck driving in snow.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper  OMG, I love it......I read your list and have done all the same awesome things except the zipline thing!!   I love the northeast (RI) born and bred and all it has to offer.  There is nothing like a blue sky, sunny winters day, it's the healthiest and most refreshing air in the world, does the soul good.

Respected Contributor

I've hated that phrase for a long, long time. I'm glad to not be the only one.

Honored Contributor

I love four seasons. Love watching the snow fall in the winter. Beautiful.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Yes, it is too much to ask! There is nothing more majestic than the sun sparkiling on fresh snow. It truly is a wonderland! I love winter and where I live, Western NY, we get plenty of it. I never tire of cold, snowy weather.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids 

I can understand your frustration---Our family lived in the northeast...then when we were still kids, our family moved to Texas and Ive been here ever since....But when we went "up north" to visit relatives for Christmas, yes, the first snow fall was "magical" and really made "the season"....yep, a Winter Wonderland...HOWEVER, as the days went on the snow got dirtied by cars, the hassle of having to shovel the driveway to get the car out, the "yellow snow", the wearing layers of clothing, hats, gloves, boots, scarves etc etc got VERY OLD after a couple of days it was no longer a "winter wonderland" just more of a pain and an inconvenience to deal with.....

Now snow here in South Texas IS a rareity so when it happens it is indeed very special, fun and truely a winter wonderland.(the city shuts down everyone is making snowmen, having snowball fights, and taking photos)... its all melted by noon the next day...so we enjoy our version of a "winter wonderland" everytime it happens..😄⛈❄❄⛄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@tucsongal   I don't live in snow, but I imagine that could be difficult at times. but travel to be in it periodically, love it.  I woke up one morning at a ski resort and looked out the window to see the magnificient trees laden with snow, and still snowing, THAT was my idea of a Winter Wonderland, and said so at the time.