Honored Contributor

THE PHRASE "WINTER WONDERLAND"

[ Edited ]

Disclaimer: I'm 72 and spent my first 62 years in Southern California so have only lived in WA since 2010.

I don't care much for snow. It's pretty for the first 3  days. I don't like being snowed in. The first Thanksgiving I was here it was so bad the mail wasn't delivered until the w/end after T'Day when some of the local streets finally got plowed and the snow started to melt.

But what really makes me silently scream is the local tv weather and news people **constantly** using the term Winter Wonderland. I hear it on tv and on local radio news. I'm sick of it. Sick I tell you! I just wish they could find another way to express their love of snow! I mean, is that too much to ask ? LOL

OK, rant over. Just wanted to get that off my chest. I now return you to your regular broadcast  Smiley LOL 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE PHRASE "WINTER WONDERLAND"

@Love my grandkids Your post amuses me. I don't like snow either. When people say "Winter wonderland, I just think of bad car wrecks in snow and ice.... And being stuck at home. (I live in the South). I think snow is pretty for about 5 minutes.... and that assumes that it melts when it hits the ground. LOL

Respected Contributor

This is my version of a winter wonderland....from afar!

3E24D447-552C-43C3-9F8C-605A682C0285.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

I HATE SNOW!!!!  🥵 .. I live in NY so I should be used to it BUT, I AM NOT!!!!! .... hopefully there is very little snow this winter & the temperatures are above normal 🙃

Respected Contributor

And that is why I love living on the East Coast where I can appreciate all the wonderful four seasons!

Every time we get a big snow, and all is covered in white and supremely quiet, and the snow is sparkling and gorgeous, we say we are in the Winter Wonderland!

Yes, I like sunshine and warmth and flowers, but DH is a true Winter person (played ice hockey, fanatic skier) and in my lifetime in winter weather I have now:

built snowmen

had snowball battles

made snow angels

sledded

skied

ice skated

snowmobiled

snowshoed

went on a bobsled

ziplined over the snowy mountains in winter gear

gone dog sledding (both as passenger and driver)

went on a sleigh ride (pulled by a horse)

went on a sleigh ride (pulled by a snowcat)

walked on a frozen lake

visited a frozen waterfall

used a snowblower

rode on a chairlift and a gondola

walked dogs through deep drifts

drove carefully in snowstorms

bought many pairs of boots

lost a few gloves/mittens

shoveled A LOT

Life is too short to not enjoy it as much as possible!

Honored Contributor

I don't want it every day and I don't want a blizzard, but a pretty, manageable, tranquil snowfall is, to me, one of nature's great beauties and simple joys.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I live in Arizona and this year we had somewhere around 190 days of over 90 degrees and 53 of those miserable days over over 110 degrees. I would love a winter wonderland, rain (hasn't rained since August but who's counting because it only rained at the airport not where I live so I think it's really June maybe longer). Anything but sunshine and clear skies. 

Esteemed Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper   As a fellow Philadelphian and a winter lover, I totally agree.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper It's nice that you enjoy it. I didn't grow up with it and I can't stand it. Never will.

Honored Contributor

If you live in a big, crowded city.........snow is never "pretty".......

♥Surface of the Sun♥