Honored Contributor

THE PHOTOGRAPHER WHO FAMOUSLY CAPTURED WORKERS EATING LUNCH IN THE AIR

Here's Charles C. Ebbets, in 1932 when he photographed construction workers at Rockefeller Center, far above New York City:

fef45bd5431d690a64fc5c8ecbc1bec1.jpg

How graceful, adorable and dashing can someone be, in that precarious position??   I'd be prone, clutching, wrapped around that I-beam, and shaking like a leaf.  (Don't you love his garden-party shoes, by the way?)

Props also to the 'other' photographer who had to be there, presumably more securely anchored, to take Charlie's picture!

Clearly, Charles Ebbets was an adventurer of a high order.  Former race car driver, stunt man, actor, "wing-walker"--  (yes, he walked on planes, aloft, shudder),  Associated Press photographer in Florida, among other pursuits.

I guess a lot of it was prep work so he could take the famous photo everyone all over the world has seen.  Those seemingly nonchalant, stout-hearted men and true, who built the buildings:     

MISCELLANEOUS9-000MenonBeamatRockefellerCenter1932.jpg

Charles C. Ebbets was a fascinating character:8d15ab162458e41c47ac097315d42b8c.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: THE PHOTOGRAPHER WHO FAMOUSLY CAPTURED WORKERS EATING LUNCH IN THE AIR

Once again, Oznell, one of your posts has left me gasping.  Vertigo overwhelms me at even modest heights.  How did these men risk life and limb and have such a dégagé attitude while doing it?

Perhaps Mr. Ebbets was creating an embedded, subtle joke with the photo taken of him -- note his spectator shoes.  He's the ultimate spectator in that shot of him.

I checked to see if he was related to Charles H. Ebbets, the sports executive who built Ebbets Field, but did not find a connection.  

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   😊 Thanks for this tid bit. I always liked this photo but didn't know anything about the photographer. 

Respected Contributor

The dichotomy of Mr. Ebbets' split personality of throwing caution to the wind then wearing a belt AND suspenders is a riot!

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

Love the worker on right sitting on beam clutching a bottle of ??  That is what I would need to sit up there.

Honored Contributor

I have seen he group picture of the workers on the beam, it has always given me the shivers!!!!  I cannot imagine anyone feeling safe in these photos and it is amazing that Ebbets had his picture taken up there!!!

I was at the top of the Empire State Building and the Twin Towers, I had such a feeling of fear even though there was protection around me while these workers and Ebbets didn't.  Unbelievable but thanks to Ebbets for his excellent photography!

Respected Contributor

Fascinating !!!  Thanks for posting.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting, but who photographed the photographer??

Didn't do selfies in those days!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell .... Fabulous photos, however, they gave me chills!!! Cat Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

Great photos! I noticed the workers appear to be wearing regular shoes. I wonder if they have nonslip soles?
                  👞 vs 👟🥾