Honored Contributor

Cara Robertson has written a book that, this time, focuses mostly on the court aspect of the case-- it's called "The Trial of Lizzie Borden".   I caught a bit of her talk on "Book TV" (C-SPAN 2) this morning.  (I wanted to put an alert here for the many people interested in this case, but was dashing off to church so no time, apologies.  But I bet if you go to C-SPAN 2 online, you can do a search for it and find.)

Probably no new ground was broken, but still interesting.  I did not know that there was AT LEAST an hour and a half interval between the murder of Mrs. Borden upstairs, and then Mr. Borden, napping on the sofa.  That does seem to confirm it was a member of the household, not some maniacal wandering intruder who did the deed.

Did not know that the brother-in-law houseguest had the best alibi going--  his claim that he was paying a visit in another part of Fall River could be substantiated by no fewer than 6 priests who were riding on the public conveyance with him!

Did not know that the housekeeper was washing windows outside in public view when Mrs. Borden was believed to be killed, thereby absolving her (probably) of at least one of the murders.

Like most informed observers, the author Robertson said it's hard to imagine anyone other than Lizzie doing the deed.  Very interestingly, she remarked that most of the famous journalists of the day who had flocked to the circus-like trial, were admirers of Lizzie--  and believed in her innocence!    

Honored Contributor

It would be fun to see a show like Dateline examine the murders, using actors and actual locations.  Sounds like the book would provide a lot of material for the show.

Respected Contributor

I've always been fascinated by this case, for some reason. I think I've seen every TV movie/show about the case & read many books & articles.  I'm still not sure if Lizzie was guilty or innocent. 

Honored Contributor

I think that's the book I got from lib. when I saw it at Sam's for 16.

I couldn't get into her way of writing. Most books on the subject are really good. I got the original Elizabeth Montgomery TV dvd on the subject.

I'll have to check to make sure it's the one I read 50 pages of then quit reading it.

Yep, that was a hard case alright. These days they would have the killer within the hr. but, back then due to modesty and Victorian ideas women

got away with more.  That would be the last method I'd use to off somebody. LOL Just sayin'....

Honored Contributor

Yep, just checked at Amazon that's the one that was a bore.

Loved the movie !

Honored Contributor

This is one of the mysteries which seem to keep popping up to be solved.  I try to catch the shows which sift through the facts about Lizzie Border and the murders.  It's like Jack the Ripper and that unsolved mystery which still fascinates.

From what I have read and seen on TV I believe Lizzie Borden committed the crime but I still wonder who the infamous Jack the Ripper was !

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

This case has always interested me.  I liked the movie with Christina Ricci.  I have not see the one from last year.

I remember the ABC Movie of the Week with Elizabeth Montgomery to this day!  

Honored Contributor

Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother 40 wacks.  When she saw what she had done, she gave her father 41.  I remember that ditty from childhood!

It is a fascinating case but she had opportunity, motive  and weapon. 

Honored Contributor

People are able to stay at the house she lived in. It's booked for years.

Honored Contributor

That TV show with Christina Ricci was a joke. More fiction bull.....

God, I hate it when they twist and make up facts based on real life figures or events. People out there believe that ****.