Trusted Contributor

Re: THE LATEST IN CHILDREN'S SAFETY GEAR

Maybe backpacks need to be abolished!  I know they are handy but when I went to school we never had them.  We just carried our books in our hands. In middle school and high school the girls would carry a small handbag for personal items, etc.  The boys used their pockets.   Just my thoughts on the subject.  I feel so sorry for our children now!Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

It's very stressful for not only the children, but the parents also. 

I can't imagine what they're thinking.

'Trouble is' that it's very difficult for the majority of parents to agree re: the schools.   Some don't want an armed guard at the entrance; some don't want metal detectors at the entrances; some don't want 'this', and some don't want 'that'. 

That's where the problem (and solution) lies, imo. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@maestrawrote:

@KingstonsMomwrote:

@Noel7

In the current climate, I totally understand parents feeling the need for these, but it's so sad that they do.

I read an article saying the sales of these have shot up 50% since this recent event and many companies are sold out and on backorder.

I think I would home school rather than resort to this. What if they don't have their backpack on at the time?

If it's dangerous enough in schools to need this, I would do whatever it took to be able to home school.

If the income from working is necessary, there are night jobs.

I worked 3 jobs at one time raising my DD with no child support (because he couldn't be found), just to keep her in a nice crime free neighborhood with the highest rated schools in my area.

@KingstonsMomwrote:

@Noel7

In the current climate, I totally understand parents feeling the need for these, but it's so sad that they do.

I read an article saying the sales of these have shot up 50% since this recent event and many companies are sold out and on backorder.

I think I would home school rather than resort to this. What if they don't have their backpack on at the time?

If it's dangerous enough in schools to need this, I would do whatever it took to be able to home school.

I worked 3 jobs at one time raising my DD with no child support (because he couldn't be found), just to keep her in a nice crime free neighborhood with the highest rated schools in my area.

@KingstonsMomwrote:

@Noel7

God Bless you!!! I worked 2 jobs for the same reason; looking back, I dont know how I did it.

@maestra

God bless you too!

I know, it was really hard, but my ex skated the law and I didn't want to apply for public assistance, I wanted to do it on my own and knew I could and others may need it more that couldn't do it on their own.

I did quit the 3rd job after we were semi-stable, because I didn't have enough time with my DD, but lived paycheck to paycheck with just 2.

DD was a high honor roll student for her entire time in school and won a college scholarship because of it, so I don't regret the sacrifices we had to make.

Then 13 years later, while I was not even looking, I met my soulmate.

And he's been the loving father that my DD never had (he never saw her after age 2, to hide from child support) and for me, he's the love that I deserved!

We'll celebrate 23 years soon!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

'Could be' that in the future there might be a demand for private schooling in private homes.  Similar to private daycare.  Maybe up to ten students per home, etc.

At least the students and the parents (and teachers) would feel safer. 

Just a thought.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARYwrote:

'Could be' that in the future there might be a demand for private schooling in private homes.  Similar to private daycare.  Maybe up to ten students per home, etc.

At least the students and the parents (and teachers) would feel safer. 

Just a thought.

I can totally see that happening, and I hope it does.

There are too many students in public schools and not enough teachers/staff.

Honored Contributor

YorkieOnMyPillow:   Yes, private in a home school-care has been on my mind for some time.

It would be more structured than home schooling, especially if the parents both work outside of the home. 

Also, more professional.  Actual teachers would be teaching, answering questions, etc.   Same as in a school building, only in a home.

And the kids would be in contact with a few/several other students, same as in a school building setting.  (Only not as many.)

It's a 'win-win', imo. 

Honored Contributor

@Newgatewrote:

Maybe backpacks need to be abolished!  I know they are handy but when I went to school we never had them.  We just carried our books in our hands. In middle school and high school the girls would carry a small handbag for personal items, etc.  The boys used their pockets.   Just my thoughts on the subject.  I feel so sorry for our children now!Woman Frustrated

It’s different today, they carry much more.  Often including an iPad and a phone.  

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMomwrote:

@maestrawrote:

@KingstonsMomwrote:

@Noel7

@KingstonsMomwrote:

@Noel7

@KingstonsMomwrote:

@Noel7

God Bless you!!! I worked 2 jobs for the same reason; looking back, I dont know how I did it.

@maestra

God bless you too!

I know, it was really hard, but my ex skated the law and I didn't want to apply for public assistance, I wanted to do it on my own and knew I could and others may need it more that couldn't do it on their own.

I did quit the 3rd job after we were semi-stable, because I didn't have enough time with my DD, but lived paycheck to paycheck with just 2.

DD was a high honor roll student for her entire time in school and won a college scholarship because of it, so I don't regret the sacrifices we had to make.

Then 13 years later, while I was not even looking, I met my soulmate.

And he's been the loving father that my DD never had (he never saw her after age 2, to hide from child support) and for me, he's the love that I deserved!

We'll celebrate 23 years soon!Heart

What a wonderful family story, congratulations @KingstonsMom  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I find this sad that these are needed in America. I saw a boy invented a metal thing too, that goes at the door and prevents anyone from coming in the classroom. (He tested on linebackers)

Bottom line is, I told my daughter yesterday, if my son and her were kids yet, Id be home schooling them. Yes I know things can happen at other places too but I am so heartbroken and fed up like everyone else about all this violence!. I would home school my kids. (My 2nd oldest grandaughter is about to graduate and that will leave my youngest granddaughter in school  yet, as the oldest is out almost 2 years). It worries me and I pray every day that nothing will happen to any of them in school and no matter where they are. 

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles