Honored Contributor

Re: THE LATEST IN CHILDREN'S SAFETY GEAR

Having fear of be shot and killed is just so sad and so wrong to be a part of a youngter's life. It's bad enough that I have to have that fear of losing my life, too. My house has three bullet holes in it from drive-by jerks. I've thought about buying a bulletproof vest for myself someday...just to walk my dog.Woman Indifferent

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma

Are you talking about WW2?  I wasn’t here yet but for sure I remember as a kid teachers training us to duck and cover under our desks as training for the potential of the coming of the bomb, and how our parents worried about the Cuban missile crisis.

Remember all the bomb shelters being built?

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

Are you talking about WW2?  I wasn’t here yet but for sure I remember as a kid teachers training us to duck and cover under our desks as training for the potential of the coming of the bomb, and how our parents worried about the Cuban missile crisis.

Yes, I was referring to WWll.  I admit we would from time to time go through the exercise of ducking under our desks and we did wear a chain with a disc that had our name on it.  People did not dwell on the subject.  We still felt safe, life went on as usual and there was never fear of children being abducted or harmed by strangers.  In our world today we live in constant fear, particularly since 9/11.  There are a number of forces we fear, it is very different than WWll.   I lived it, believe me, I know the difference.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

I would totally consider homeschooling if I had little children. There are curriculums one can buy that the child can work on and complete online.

I think more people will do this...at least, I hope so.

Honored Contributor

I think that bullet proof vests might be even better.  Wear them all day long, if they are lightweight enough. 

They can be given/sold to the younger students when they no longer fit. 

Something similar to buying/selling used books in colleges.  Maybe turn in/sell the vests that no longer fit, and purchase better fitting used ones. 

Oh, well.  Just a thought.

I don't know how affordable they would be, but I'm sure something affordable could be worked out.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARYwrote:

I think that bullet proof vests might be even better.  Wear them all day long, if they are lightweight enough. 

They can be given/sold to the younger students when they no longer fit. 

Something similar to buying/selling used books in colleges.  Maybe turn in/sell the vests that no longer fit, and purchase better fitting used ones. 

Oh, well.  Just a thought.

I don't know how affordable they would be, but I'm sure something affordable could be worked out.

@ROMARY  The day when buying/selling bullet proof vests is as common as selling used books-then we have become a society that has failed our children to the max.

Are you serious? 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandmawrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

Yes, I was referring to WWll.  I admit we would from time to time go through the exercise of ducking under our desks and we did wear a chain with a disc that had our name on it.  People did not dwell on the subject.  We still felt safe, life went on as usual and there was never fear of children being abducted or harmed by strangers.  In our world today we live in constant fear, particularly since 9/11.  There are a number of forces we fear, it is very different than WWll.   I lived it, believe me, I know the difference.

Noooo, @Lindsays Grandma  people did not feel safe, people were building bomb shelters and I remember the news and the worry at the time of the Cuban crisis, and Gorbachev hitting the desk with his shoe and saying he would bury us.  

People were very worried and not only did they dwell on it, they were glued to the news reports.

I have told this story before, there most certainly were child molesters then. I had my own run in with one, the grandfather of a neighbor child.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@Lindsays Grandmawrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

Noooo, @Lindsays Grandma  people did not feel safe, people were building bomb shelters and I remember the news and the worry at the time of the Cuban crisis, and Gorbachev hitting the desk with his shoe and saying he would bury us.  

People were very worried and not only did they dwell on it, they were glued to the news reports.

I have told this story before, there most certainly were child molesters then. I had my own run in with one, the grandfather of a neighbor child.

@Noel7  Wasn't that Kruschev with the shoe? 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3wrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@Lindsays Grandmawrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

@Noel7  Wasn't that Kruschev with the shoe? 

Yes, thank you @Cakers3.  I get so shocked when people repress how life was years ago. Good grief, not afraid of anyone harming their children... that lesson was learned at the time of the Lindbergh kidnapping.

Honored Contributor

Cakers:  I don't see much of a difference between back packs and vests.  But someone mentioned that the kids hang their back packs while in the classroom, so I was thinking that vests would be a better choice.

We've (around here where I live) been discussing this subject, and it's a toss-up between home schooling and vests. 

I feel very sad about the stresses of raising children/tweens/teens now-a-days. Way too much to worry about.  

Probably way too many hidden, illegal g*ns floating around, too, in the hands of not-so-nice people.  That's a major problem, 'the way I see it'. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).