Honored Contributor

THE LATEST IN CHILDREN'S SAFETY GEAR

Bullet proof back packs.  You can find them online, even Macy's is selling them, and Amazon of course.

They can be used as a shield in the front, or left on their back for protection.

Honored Contributor

Re: THE LATEST IN CHILDREN'S SAFETY GEAR

@Noel7

In the current climate, I totally understand parents feeling the need for these, but it's so sad that they do.

I read an article saying the sales of these have shot up 50% since this recent event and many companies are sold out and on backorder.

I think I would home school rather than resort to this. What if they don't have their backpack on at the time?

If it's dangerous enough in schools to need this, I would do whatever it took to be able to home school.

If the income from working is necessary, there are night jobs.

I worked 3 jobs at one time raising my DD with no child support (because he couldn't be found), just to keep her in a nice crime free neighborhood with the highest rated schools in my area.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMomwrote:

@Noel7

In the current climate, I totally understand parents feeling the need for these, but it's so sad that they do.

I read an article saying the sales of these have shot up 50% since this recent event and many companies are sold out and on backorder.

I think I would home school rather than resort to this. What if they don't have their backpack on at the time?

If it's dangerous enough in schools to need this, I would do whatever it took to be able to home school.

If the income from working is necessary, there are night jobs.

I worked 3 jobs at one time raising my DD with no child support (because he couldn't be found), just to keep her in a nice crime free neighborhood with the highest rated schools in my area.

Hi @KingstonsMom

They are selling fast to young adults, also, like the tech people around here. 

We did that, too, chose a very safe neighborhood with nice schools, but in today's day and age people come in from the outside, like the Pulse shooting of young adults.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like a good idea but at the schools my son went to the backpacks were hanging on hooks outside the classroom in elementary and in middle school and high school they were locked in their lockers. So unless it was before or after school they would be useless. 

It's sad that we even have to think about bulletproof backpacks to protect children at school. 

Honored Contributor

@akaburtonfanwrote:

Sounds like a good idea but at the schools my son went to the backpacks were hanging on hooks outside the classroom in elementary and in middle school and high school they were locked in their lockers. So unless it was before or after school they would be useless. 

It's sad that we even have to think about bulletproof backpacks to protect children at school. 

HI @akaburtonfan

I don't get that, why?  There are so many things a student needs from inside their backpacks, including girl's hygiene or a report due.  I can see hooks inside the classroom, but outside?

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 My guess why the backpacks aren't in the classroom is because with 15-30 kids in a class that it would be just too cluttered. 

Honored Contributor

Backpacks are not allowed in our Middle School classrooms; they must be hung in lockers. High School it's about 50-50 as to them being worn to and from classes. One if the issues we've heard about is during a fire drill, it's been observed that the backpacks cause the students to not be able to get out of the classroom quickly as they are blocking the walk area in rooms. There was a hearing on it the past month and there is rumor that they will require all backpacks to be kept in lockers. Kinda stinks because classes are NOT close to each other so now many students are going to be late running back and forth to lockers. This now means changing classroom set up and....it's a mess.

We'll see.

Honored Contributor

How troubled i am over what the young have to worry about ,by just going to school.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

Bullet proof back packs.  You can find them online, even Macy's is selling them, and Amazon of course.

They can be used as a shield in the front, or left on their back for protection.

OMG, this post made me cry.  What a sick, sad world we live in.  It breaks my heart that we should need this.  

Honored Contributor

@akaburtonfanwrote:

@Noel7 My guess why the backpacks aren't in the classroom is because with 15-30 kids in a class that it would be just too cluttered. 

@akaburtonfan

This makes me think of the coat rooms we had in elementary school, they could be useful now.