Honored Contributor

Re: THE INTERNATIONAL SIGN FOR "HELP ME"

I could be wrong, @Foolywooly11 ,  but I think this might be the beginning of the campaign to make this widely known; presumably those publicizing efforts are starting to be underway (I hope).

Valued Contributor

@KLm, this is becoming standard practice in healthcare. In many areas, not only nurses ask this question, but the people who check you in for dr's visits, procedures, etc., will ask. I'm glad to hear your daughter was asked, and congrats on the new baby!

I want to add that men are being asked these questions, too.

Honored Contributor

That would not work for people who can't use their hands, for example paralyzed or have dexterity issues.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KLm Hospitals have been asking questions frequently for many years. I broke my ankle about 12 years ago (in my driveway on the ice) and a kind, gentle RN also asked me if I was in a relationship of danger.

That was the last thing in my life ever. It took me completely by surprise and I said, "Oh no! I live alone and wasn't paying attention when I went out for the mail. Didn't have a clue there was any ice on my driveway!"

Then, I realized how many females are subjected to abusive situations and thanked her for asking. It actually warmed my heart that the medical professionals are checking. Women and children NEED that asked a lot!!

ETA: Agree, men need to be asked this question as well. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I hope they have a campaign to spread this.

Long ago, a client hospital asked for donations of sweats for rape victims to go home in.  Guess I was not aware prior to that.

Honored Contributor

That's true, @SilleeMee .   I've thought about that, and for someone in that predicament, it would be hard.  I suppose if they had control of their eye muscles, for example, and the perp/kidnapper were not facing them, they could arch their eyebrows wildly,  widen their eyes to the max, so that the potential rescuer would at least wonder, hey, what's wrong.

Unless someone were completely paralyzed, there's another thing too.  Isn't there a principle, if you are being kidnapped, reserve all your fight, ALL your energy, to fight against being taken to the next location?

The second location is almost always more secluded, where the abductor would presumably have more control to commence their evil more *conveniently*,  without fear of interruption.  

So if you had any physical ability at all, or ability to scream and draw attention, it's recommended to do that when you're first grabbed, I think.   Am thinking your chances are better than if they get to take you somewhere else.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

That would not work for people who can't use their hands, for example paralyzed or have dexterity issues.

If that were me I would learn to blink SOS and make sure everyone who knew me knew what it meant if I did that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you! It's good to know a universal signal! I've imagined looking cross eyed, etc or giving other signals, but this one is easy, I'll pass it along, 

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining Hospitals all over the country still need sweats, underwear, footwear, femine products, etc. for rape victims. Any donations will be always appreciated by the hospital or Rape Crisis Center in your area. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

Hope so, too!