Respected Contributor

Re: THE COWSILLS "THE RAIN, THE PARK AND OTHER THINGS"

A few weeks ago I saw a show about them on Amazon Prime...I believe it was called Family Band, The Cowsills Story.

It was very good...but sad how awful the father was.  Those kids had and still have a lot of talent...and you can tell they really love each other.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this @Oznell !  I so loved that song!  I didn't know about the abuse, but that's very sad.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, @alicedee , and @NickNack ,  exceptionally talented family, with a troubled history and that legacy of a horrendous father.

For serious students of "Cowsilliana",  here they are in1967 performing the same song in their youth-- and the bonus is, that the video supplies the names to go with the faces of both the living and deceased Cowsills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCqg-vhiBAc

Respected Contributor

When they performed at the fair in Cedar Rapids, Iowa years ago my brother took Sue out and walked around the fair with her.  He was a cute kid.  He never forgot that.  

Honored Contributor

What a fun experience for your brother, @Roscoe the Rascal ,  and she got to see the fair with someone who knew his way around it!

Honored Contributor

Ahh takes me back to Junior High  Smiley Happy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I was 12.  What a great year for music.  I remember the Cowsills rendition of Hair, as well as The Rain, The Park, and Other Things. 

Every morning our local radio station, 7 am in the morning, was playing Good Morning Starshine, also from Hair, and in the evening it was Aquarius.  Some say to this day that The Age of Aquarius actually began with the release of that song!  Very important change was in the air. 

I had never heard about the family background of the the Cowsills and their relationship with their abusive father.  I come from a large family with a dad like that, so sure can relate.  He's been gone 27 years and we are still trying to figure him out.  Poor kids!

Trusted Contributor

The Cowsills Hair 1969 IN COLOR !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt_yKPNORLM

Esteemed Contributor

Barry Cowsill died as a result of Hurricane Katrina.  That was so sad.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Trusted Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@FlyersGirl wrote:

Wow. That is a blast from the past. I saw them perform when I was a kid at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City. I think the daughter was around the same age as me. 

I saw them there too, think it was summer of either 1968 or 1969. 

@Shelbelle I think it was 1969. They were there for a couple of weeks. You never know, we could have been at the same show!