Honored Contributor

Re: THE BEATLES AUGUST 28, 1964

@naturalfan. I haven't but would love to (I'd probably go broke there!)

How cool you met Louise!  

Occasional Contributor

I was at the last Beatles concert at Candlestick Park, San Francisco 1964. I was 10 years old and my older cousins took me along. I was so excited thinking about hearing them play their music. Turns out, all you could hear were girls screaming, and some trying to run across the field and reach the stage. At least I still have the concert program. Good memory, though, and still love them!

Super Contributor

@jannabelle1, I, too, had a British pen pal from the late 50’s until I was in college. She was also a Beatles fanatic when we were 15 or so. Then she just disappeared around 1968, quit writing, but I guess that is another story….I still have my copy of the Beatles For Sale LP she gave me for Xmas, which of course I treasure! She would send me jelly babies, the Beatles’ favorite candy. I also wish I still had her lovely letters in her exemplary penmanship, but when I moved out my mother got rid of everything in my bedroom that meant anything to me. It wasn’t that she needed the room. All my favorite things seemed to “disappear” over the years, as I figured out much later. Unfortunately, I cannot blame her for the disappearance of my AWESOME collection of Beatles memorabilia. Lots of British magazines, photos. But I took them to my in-laws’ house when I got married in 1969, stored them in a closet, and my [former] husband’s siblings stole them as soon as our backs were turned.

I was too young to travel to see them as a group before they broke up (who knew that 4 years after their last concert at Candlestick Park I would be living in San Francisco?), but I did see Paul, George and Ringo individually with other bands in the 70’s. At least I have that!! Never did get to see John. I kept hoping to run into him (you would be surprised at whom you can run into on the streets of San Francisco) when he and Yoko were living at the Hilton here, but I don’t recollect his ever playing here.
Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman, did you know that there is a very famous English record producer - and former member of the Buggles - with that name? Thought of him immediately. And he is EXACTLY the right age…..Do you suppose it could be? Look him up on Wiki. Wouldn’t that be amazing?
Esteemed Contributor

@catwoman48 

I'll do that, but have no idea what the young man looked like, so it's a stretch to say it MIGHT be him as I would never know Cat LOL

Not to mention it was over 50 years ago that we we wrote.  Doubt he would remember, but...I'll check it out just the same.

As I said, wish I had saved those letters.  They were sweet and innocent...all we talked about was music and the Beatles.

Happy memories!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@catwoman48 

Came back to say that at least he is about the same age, so, who knows.

When I saw the face, it was oddly familiar, but, I surely don't recall we exchanged photos, so...power of suggestion probably since he did tell me he wore glasses.

Just the same, it's a fun thought..I have no way of REALLY knowing, so it will be an unsolved mystery Cat Happy

Thanks for bringing it up.  I'm off to read about him!

Honored Contributor

I remember sitting in front of the tv watching the Beatles when they appeared on Ed Sullivan the first time.  I still have their vinyl albums, along with a couple of cases for other artists back in the day.

Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman, what a tantalizing mystery! If you had a photo, you could send it to him and ask “Is this you?” You can reach just about anyone these days, thanks to the Internet; no privacy. Wiki is pretty good about giving very detailed background information, especially with musicians, where they grew up, schools attended, etc. They also give links to sources. Might jog your memory. He probably has a website, too.

I have one very old, much abused, tiny 1961 photo of my English pen pal, Denise, and a photo of her older sister, Barbara. That’s it, and I don’t think she ever sent me an updated photo in all those years.

I had a Belgian pen pal in high school, Jean Claude. I have just now remembered him! We wrote in French. I think he was a year or two older. I know I had a photo at one time, but, like you, no recollection of what he looked like. We didn’t correspond for long. We both went off to college and that was that. And his letters and photo went the way of everything else, disposed of by my mother. She never forgave me for moving to California when I was 22.
Honored Contributor

@catwoman48 wrote:
@Witchy Woman, what a tantalizing mystery! If you had a photo, you could send it to him and ask “Is this you?” You can reach just about anyone these days, thanks to the Internet; no privacy. Wiki is pretty good about giving very detailed background information, especially with musicians, where they grew up, schools attended, etc. They also give links to sources. Might jog your memory. He probably has a website, too.

I have one very old, much abused, tiny 1961 photo of my English pen pal, Denise, and a photo of her older sister, Barbara. That’s it, and I don’t think she ever sent me an updated photo in all those years.

I had a Belgian pen pal in high school, Jean Claude. I have just now remembered him! We wrote in French. I think he was a year or two older. I know I had a photo at one time, but, like you, no recollection of what he looked like. We didn’t correspond for long. We both went off to college and that was that. And his letters and photo went the way of everything else, disposed of by my mother. She never forgave me for moving to California when I was 22.

@catwoman48  Well she doesn't need a photo. If she contacts him she could just ask whether he used to have a USA pen pal and write some things to verify it was she.

BTW he has a very common English name; it could very well not be the same person.

Super Contributor

Admittedly there are/were many “Trevor Horns” in the UK. But the combination of the era/ages of the parties and their common abiding interest in the Beatles just brought him to mind. I am not attempting to influence @Witchy Woman in any way, just making my observations. Not sure if he is the rich and famous Mr. Horn he would remember an American pen pal he had as a teen - with or without a photo. It would be interesting if they did connect. But I do think in general people tend to recognize their own photos. The issue is moot, as none of us - none I am aware of in this forum - was prescient enough to preserve our letters and photos for future reference. I remember the cruel comments in the media at that time that those young girls who were screaming over the Beatles (and other British Invasion groups) were going to feel like idiots in 30 years. Gosh, 30 years seemed like an ETERNITY then!