Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE BEATLES AUGUST 28, 1964

@jannabelle1 

As I've mentioned before when we've had these discussions, I also had an English pen pal.  I even remember his name -- Trevor Horn!

We would exchange letters on that onion skin paper and talk about the Beatles mostly.  Have no idea how we found each other, but I wish now I had saved the letters and/or stayed in touch.

However, I was 15 at the time I saw them, so had no idea that all these years later I would still be in love with them Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 

No sound systems at the time and no jumbo TVs.

I was at the STL concert and couldn't hear a thing other than the girls screaming Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

In my junior high and high school years I had a pen pal in England. For Christmas in 1963, she sent me a 45 record that was cut in England by the Beatles, and with 4 songs on it. That was before they made their debut here. She told me that the Beatles were a huge hit in England....I hadn't heard of them yet.....for a few months! How I wish I could find that 45 record (I Wanta Hold Your Hand).....I have a feeling my ex might have taken it years ago.

@jannabelle1  At the 1964 World's Fair, we went to a both to get pen pals.  My friend got a girl from England and they still write to each other to this day!  She has been to London to visit her a few times, and her friend has come to the U.S. to visit as well.  Of course the Beatles and the British invasion played a big role in their earlier correspondence.  Such a lasting friendship they have.  Incredible after all these years!

Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

I sure wish I kept all my Beatle's memorabilia @Pearlee.  This beats them all, after I saw the Beatles in September of 1964, they were selling tiny pieces of the sheets the Beatles (supposedly) slept on at the hotel!  You sent in for them and you didn't know which Beatle's sheet you would get.  I had a few of those silly things.  How enterprising on the part of whoever thought that up!  I do still have my Remco Beatle dolls though.  I should sell them.  They have been sitting around since the 60s.  Buy the way, we had great floor seats for that concert which cost $5.50.  We were going on vacation and I wrapped up my tickets and put them in the freezer in case we had a house fire while we were on vacation.  I wasn't going to miss that concert!  Such fun memories.

@Biftu  I sure wish I'd kept all my Beatles things too. 😩  No, don't get rid of your Remco dolls!  LOL about the sheets but your story reminded me of the documentary Good Old Frieda. Frieda was the head of the Beatles fam club in England. She was just a regular fan from their Cavern Club days, a secretary who used to go see them on her lunch hour and then be late getting back to work  Anyway, she became good friends with "Ritchie's" (Ringo's) mother. A fan wrote in to the fan club wanting a pillow case that Ringo had slept on and Frieda made absolutely sure with Ringo's mom that he slept on a pillow case she then sent to a fan.  I'm more dubious about those sheets though!

Honored Contributor

Speaking of the Beatles, today is Paul's daughter Mary's 52nd birthday. She's the baby Paul is holding on the cover of his first solo album McCartney.  Time flies....

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

When the Beatles came to Chicago I was 15 years old.  They were next to the stock yards.  I can't remember the name but the seating was folding chairs on one level so the person in front of you was eye level.  The girls were screaming so loud you could not hear the music unless you were in the front rows (I think).  Girls were passing out.  So I joined the rest of the girls and got on my chair.  Honestly, it was a waste of money because you never heard a thing exceot screaming.

@Katcat1  The fact that the music couldn't be heard over the screaming Is a big reason the Beatles stopped touring.

Trusted Contributor

Great posts ladies! 

Enjoyed reading your experiences!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

I sure wish I kept all my Beatle's memorabilia @Pearlee.  This beats them all, after I saw the Beatles in September of 1964, they were selling tiny pieces of the sheets the Beatles (supposedly) slept on at the hotel!  You sent in for them and you didn't know which Beatle's sheet you would get.  I had a few of those silly things.  How enterprising on the part of whoever thought that up!  I do still have my Remco Beatle dolls though.  I should sell them.  They have been sitting around since the 60s.  Buy the way, we had great floor seats for that concert which cost $5.50.  We were going on vacation and I wrapped up my tickets and put them in the freezer in case we had a house fire while we were on vacation.  I wasn't going to miss that concert!  Such fun memories.

@Biftu  I sure wish I'd kept all my Beatles things too. 😩  No, don't get rid of your Remco dolls!  LOL about the sheets but your story reminded me of the documentary Good Old Frieda. Frieda was the head of the Beatles fam club in England. She was just a regular fan from their Cavern Club days, a secretary who used to go see them on her lunch hour and then be late getting back to work  Anyway, she became good friends with "Ritchie's" (Ringo's) mother. A fan wrote in to the fan club wanting a pillow case that Ringo had slept on and Frieda made absolutely sure with Ringo's mom that he slept on a pillow case she then sent to a fan.  I'm more dubious about those sheets though!

@Pearlee  I loved that Good Old Frieda documentary.

Honored Contributor

@Biftu Me too!  Do you remember that pillow case story?

Frieda could have made millions from all her authentic Beatles stuff but she wanted the fans to have it. Yikes!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

I just saw on FB the August 28, 1964 edition of Life magazine with the Fab Four on the cover.  My family subscribed to Life so we got that issue -- I quickly fled to my room with it so my family wouldn't mess it all up reading it! 😂  Oh how I wish I'd kept it! They all look so, well Fab,  on the cover.

Hey @Witchy Woman  Did you keep it? Anyone else here?

A few years ago I saw it in a glass cabinet at a thrift store. I should have bought it, even though I thought at the time it was overpriced.

The Beatles Are Timeless is where it is right now on FB in case you want to see it and get all nostalgic too.  🥰

We also had a LIFE magazine subscription when I was a kid.  I used that particular cover as a poster in my room.  Amazon has them currently rangeing from $48.99 up to $118.28. 

The other magazine cover I had and used as a wall hanging was from the Saturday Evening Post that my grandma gave me.  They were in formal wear, black suits and derbies.  I looked it up and it was from January 1964.  Amazon has that magazine, too, from $14.33 to $20.00.