Honored Contributor

THE 1916 SERIES OF FLAG PAINTINGS BY CHILDE HASSAM

These century-old paintings are so poignant and meaningful on the eve of September 11:

allies-day-frederick-childe-hassam.jpg

Art history buffs are well-acquainted with American Impressionist painter Childe Hassam, but I had only encountered his work sporadically, and had not seen this remarkable flag series.  Had always loved his few other works I'd encountered, and these are a lovely surprise.

He and his wife were involved in war relief work in World War I,  and he was inspired to do these studies.  Fascinating glimpse of 1916 New York City above.

2-flags-on-the-waldorf-childe-hassam.jpg

fourth-of-july-1916-frederick-childe-hassam.jpg

Childe Hassam 1859-1935 - American painter - Avenue of the Allies 1918 - The Impressionist Flags (5).jpg

flags-afternoon-on-the-avenue-1917-childe-hassam.jpg

Hassam's hazy, impressionistic style does full, dreamy justice to his patriotic studies of the flag.

If you like him as much as I do, here's a tiny smattering of his other work:

restricted.jpg

Paris Nocturne.jpg

The delicacy of these peach blossoms:

Screenshot_2021-09-10 Childe Hassam Peach Blossoms—Villiers-le-Bel American The Metropolitan Museum of Art.jpg

"Celia Thaxter's Garden" below  looks like a seaside idyll--

celia-thaxter-s-garden-isles-of-shoals-maine.jpg!Large.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: THE 1916 SERIES OF FLAG PAINTINGS BY CHILDE HASSAM

[ Edited ]

Thank you for posting these paintings.  I have a framed poster by Hassam visible when coming downstairs in my home from the second floor.  It is “Boston Common at Twilight,” a lovely view of times gone by.

Also in the BMFA, a very favorite painting by Charles Tarbell.

It is “Mother and Child in a Boat.”  It takes my breath away to see it.  Another gifted American impressionist.

I am an art lover, museum lover, very amateur painter of Early American art forms.  We folks in Ct have the oldest art museum in the country - the Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford.  I think God planted me in the right place for me.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell   So inspiring and very appropriate today!  This series invokes pride and patriotism for me Heart~

Thank you for sharing!

Honored Contributor

Hassam's paintings are masterpieces and I love each one shown.  The paintings of NY and the flags are inspiring and give such a sense of that time in America.  Celia Thaxter's Garden is spectacular and I love the scene and the beautiful colors throughout.  Hassam is an art treasure for his creativity, gift of artistic talent and such impressive works. 

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  just beautiful......thank you

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell @PamfromCT .....Speaking of Connecticut....there is the Florence Griswald house and newly built museum which houses several Hassam works.  Florence, daughter of a shipbuilder near Old Saybrook Connecticut and the Connecticut shore, turned her family's house into an artist's retreat.  Impressionists in mostly the New York area came to live at the Griswold house and left their marks there.  They painted the shoreline along the Leutenant River there.  It is a treat to visit the house and take a tour including biographies of some of the artists who lived there.  The grounds are delightful as is the house; and the museum is well worth investigating.  

Hope i did not confuse....the Groswad house and musuem is located in Old Lyme near Old Saybrook CT

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT,  how pretty,  "Boston Common at Twilight",  even just the title, sounds so like it would be just the kind of sight you'd like to be greeted by every day.   And now that you mention that, I vaguely think that Hassam was from Boston, originally?

Wow, @tobes ,  the Florence Griswald House and Museum sound fabulous.  Imagine having the wherewithal to turn your house into a gorgeous, secluded retreat perfect for artists seeking their "muse".   Did she retain living quarters there for herself, in addition to having the artists there?

Respected Contributor

@Oznell Yes Florence lived in the house.  Florence's father was a great builder of sailing ships and had a lucrative business until the sails were rplace i the 1800 by the engine  Florence's boarding house came about then since she needed income after her father passed away.  Hence the Bohemian life never seen before of artists came about in Old Lyme CT.  During this time it was unusual for such a bohemian life but the house became the place for impressionists and was called the birth of Connecticut impressioism.  Here is a link to the history of the Griswold museum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Griswold_Museum

Honored Contributor

Hey, thanks so much for that informative link, @tobes !   What an impressive old house.  LOVE that porch:

Florence_Griswold_House,_Old_Lyme,_CT.jpg

I see that they mentioned the Childe Hassam painting that is right there in their on-site collection, "Summer Evening"

240px-Summer_Evening_Frederick_Childe_Hassam_1886.jpeg

That must have been a wonderful art colony!