Honored Contributor

Re: TELL YOUR LAUNDRY HABITS....

@tends2dogs wrote:

This is taken from the April issue of the HGTV magazine.  It gave the results of a poll taken on doing laundry etc.

Here are a few questions I found interesting:

*Do you separate whites and colors?    I always do. 

82% said yes / 18% said no

**Do you put your bras in the dryer?  I  do.

70% don't / 30% do

***Do you leave the washing machine lid open when not in use?  No

68% do / 32% don't

****When a label says "hand wash", you:

74% put the item in the washing on the hand wash    

cycle

26% wash the item by hand in the sink

I put them in on the hand wash cycle

*****What order do you load your washer?

44% laundry, soap, start washer

23% soap, laundry, start washer

23% soap, start washer, add laundry      .

10% laundry, start washer, add soap

I use laundry pods, so pods first then clothes.

******Do you leave wet laundry in the dryer overnight?

64% said no    I don't.

36% said yes

So, what are your laundry habits??

Honored Contributor

I only do laundry once a week, it's an all day affair but I like to see an empty hamper for 12 seconds until the dish towel gets thrown at the end of the day!

I do 6 loads a week.  Whites, including bleachable towels and underwear

Sheets

Lights

Socks and dark underwear

Shirts, tee shirts, sweatshirts

Jeans

I start the washer, put the laundry in and then add the soap.

I dry everything in the dryer.

I don't buy it if it needs to be hand washed.

I don't leave the lid opened and don't leave anything in the washer or dryer overnight.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wash my bras and undies and hand wash items in my bathroom sink and hang them on a rack I keep in our bedroom.  Everything else goes to a laundry service to be washed, dried, folded and delivered to my door.  I did more than my fair share of laundry over the years.  It's wonderful to be able to have it professionally done.  However when I did do laundry...

I always separated whites from colors

I always hand washed and line dried my bras

I always closed the lid to the washer

I often put hand wash items in the washer on the gentle cycle. 

I always put the detergent in first and then I put the clothes in and then I started the washer.

I never left wet laundry in the washer overnight....well, not on purpose.

Respected Contributor

thanks for a fun thread for a change!

yes I seperate my colors

bras???   what bras???

never leave lid open

I add soap first (liqiud only) then clothe then water

never leave clothes in washer or dryer over nite

Respected Contributor

I always seperate light and dark clothes.

I wash light underwear and dark underwear seperate too.

I don't put bras in the dryer.  I hang to dry. 

I don't put work out clothes in the dryer.  I hang to dry. 

The only things I fully dry are towels, sheets, some underwear and all the socks.

The rest of the clothes, I tumble in the dryer for a few minutes and hang to dry and touch up with an iron.

I try not to leave clothes in the washing machine overnight.  It happens sometimes.  I don't leave clothes in the dryer.  I usually just stand there and wait to hang them up.  I don't care if I leave towels in the dryer overnight. 

I start the washing machine, throw in a pod, and then put the clothes in.  I don't leave the door open on the washing machine or the dryer.   

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I've never even heard of the 'leaving the washer door open' bit.   Learned something new.  Never had a mildew problem, though, but I'm in an arid climate.  Is there another reason to do this?

I live in OK, very humid.  My first front loading washer had a mildew smell ALL THE TIME, so I got into the habit of leaving the lid open always.

I now have a top loader again, but I do leave it open a day or two just to let it dry out.

I suppose if it was more arid, I would not feel the need, my Mom never left hers open.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

I have a detergent dispencer so when I put it in makes little or no difference.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

It's kind of interesting reading the different methods.

I've always put the clothes in, then start up the machine, then pour in the laundry detergent and, if applicable, the fabric softener goes into the thing in the middle.   Maybe it's beause I use a liquid laundry detergent?   So, it goes right on the clothes as the water falls on, filling up the machine.

I didn't quite get the question about leaving 'wet clothes in the dryer overnight'.  Is this a case of putting the clothes from the washer into the dryer and then not turning it on?

I always turn the dryer on as soon as I put the clothes in.  99.999% of the time I follow that up by taking out the clothes as soon as they're dry, folding them, and putting them away.

I guess we can get set in our ways.  I have been doing laundry since I was a small child, so I pretty much always did it the same.  Well, one exception - if I folded a towel the wrong way I'd get backhanded.  As soon as I was an adult, in charge of my own laundry, and ever since, I will fold that towel the OTHER way every single time and, unfortunately, she comes into my mind when I do it (that's about the only time I let her enter my mind!).   But it's kind a fu thing, not a torturous recollection - like 'haha I can fold the towels any dam way I want!   Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

What is really fun is to go to the coin laundry and watch the people and what they put in a washer. I watched this one couple stuff everything that they had whites, darks, rugs, etc in one of those giant washing machines. When that washer started you could not even see those clothes move.

Honored Contributor

katie ann wrote:

What is really fun is to go to the coin laundry and watch the people and what they put in a washer. I watched this one couple stuff everything that they had whites, darks, rugs, etc in one of those giant washing machines. When that washer started you could not even see those clothes move.

That reminds me of a time I caught my husband doing his laundry, years ago, and I see the stuff practically overflowing the top of the machine.  There were, seriously, two full loads that he had crammed into one.

Needless to say, I took care of it and even to this day I wash his laundry.   His is washed separately.   I'd never imagine putting stuff like rugs in with the clothes, though!  yikes!