Honored Contributor

Re: TEA IS SUCH A NICE BREAK FROM EVERYTHING

try nilgiri organic decaf from revolution teas.....you can purchase it loose or in tea bag form. it is from india.

i like all of the twinings decaf black teas and the ahmad brand decaf black teas.

i prefer my teas and coffees to be strong, even when they are decaf.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

That nilgiri tip sounds promising, thanks, @sunshine45 -- since so many Indian teas have the reputation for strong flavor.  That flavor might well survive the decaffeinating process at least somewhat intact...

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian   Black Orchid is from from Cultured Cup, and about the only places you can get Mariage Freres that I have ever found are CC and Market Hall Foods.

They are not cheap, but have the most wonderful flavors I have ever tasted.  And don't ask for a favorite!  I wouldn't know where to start.  I have a collection of their tins going WAY WAY back!  I can't throw one away!  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Thanks for the rooibos recommendations, @just bee .  I have vaguely heard of it, and it is a fun word to say and spell!  Unfortunately I believe it is an herbal tea, no?  I would still like to try it, on your recommendation, but sadly I am a true black tea hound with little taste for all the various herbals, although I drink a number of them.

I don't even like most "flavored" black teas-- must have the straight tea leaf flavor, strong as possible.

My favorite 'special occasion' tea is of course the legendary Lapsang souchong, which maybe you could say is "flavored".  It gets its famously "smoky" taste from having the tea leaves smoked over a wood fire.  Oh, I love Lapsang souchong, when I'm not drinking PG Tips.

Even Churchill loved Lapsang souchong-- maybe it reminded him of his sooty cigars, ha.

Since it is so strong and distinctively flavorful, maybe a decaf version of it might survive the decaffeinating process... hmmm, will have to investigate.  I've been reduced to using two Irish Breakfast Decaf teabags ( or considering two tea infusers) at once to get real tea taste...

@Oznell 

Aye, you're a better man than I!  The first time I tried Lapsang souchong I was still in high school.  May I add that it was also the last time I tried it?

Who knows, maybe it was a bad batch.  Or perhaps my adolescent palate did not fully appreciate the complexities of a tea that tasted like a steeped water buffalo sandal.

I might try it again one day but I'll need some time to prepare.  Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, witty @just bee -- your descriptive powers never fail to delight!   Puh-leeze, if and when the spirit so moves you, try it one more time? 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Ha, ha, witty @just bee -- your descriptive powers never fail to delight!   Puh-leeze, if and when the spirit so moves you, try it one more time? 

@Oznell 

I guess I could put it on my bucket list to replace skydiving.

Harney & Sons offers a decaf version of Paris.  They do have some caffeine-free black teas.  And, of course, Lapsang souchong...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oznell @just bee Let's say for ME Lapsong would be certainly an acquired taste.  That I doubt I'd acquire!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

A Nilgiri Review: For fun!  

I just located a Nilgiri tea I ordered from Upton.  It is Season's Pick Nilgiri STGFOP Afternoon Blend. TNO7D. If you do some samples, to me this is characteristic of teas from that region.

It is a black tea from India.  I would say it is not a strong or tannic tea, it is very easy to drink.  It is a black tea, but without much of the "brightness" or tannin you associate with some.  It IS an easy drinker.

I don't get fruit notes in it, just a good solid tea that is not highly flavored and not like commercial teas you find on the shelves.  It is pleasant, drinkable and a good tea.  I enjoy it but it is not my favorite.  But I do drink it as an afternoon or late morning selection and enjoy it.  It's good for company as well.  A little different, but pleasing. 

Three reviewers liked it.

Here's what their website says. 

Located in southern India, the Nilgiri district of Tamil Nadu produces teas with a distinctive character. The dark brown leaves of this black tea selection yield a solid cup, smooth and mellow, with a honeyed fruit aroma. Toasty notes are complemented by a hint of fruit in the dark copper liquor. A wonderful afternoon tea.
Honored Contributor

What a dear you are, @Sooner ,  to share your detailed, informed review with us-- definitely, that's one to investigate.

As for Lapsang, ah, c'mon, @Sooner and @just bee ,  it's made for hardy adventurers like us, ha!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

What a dear you are, @Sooner ,  to share your detailed, informed review with us-- definitely, that's one to investigate.

As for Lapsang, ah, c'mon, @Sooner and @just bee ,  it's made for hardy adventurers like us, ha!

@Oznell LOL!!!!  I have never smoked, never wanted to!  Not going to start now!  I have tried it.  Tea.  Not smoking.

When I was a kid, I made my "extra" money by buying my dad's cigars by the box for him and keeping the change.  I would be broke now!  No laws then! 

I started to think that I knew I had one of those teas somewhere!  It's funny but I've lost tract of what I was doing just before this current way of living.