Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: TEA IS SUCH A NICE BREAK FROM EVERYTHING

@Oznell wrote:

I do enjoy this tea talk!

@Misplaced Parisian,  your mission to "add civilization to the bus ride"--   love!   And knowing you, "but of course" you would!

Interesting that no one raves about a brand of good tasting decaf.  Perhaps apart from that restaurant brew I briefly tasted, it does not exist.  

I do take the points of several of you that you like decaf green tea.  I've tried all versions, and cannot get with the program.  Maybe, just maybe, decaf green iced tea pleases me, esp. in summer.

Woe, does no one have that 'magic elixir' of a decent decaf black tea, a brand I can embrace and start to hoard with fiendish intensity???

@Oznell  Merci Beaucoup!  Smiley Happy   You are very kind.

I too have been on the lookout for a decaf black tea.  I haven't found one to date.  My sister ordered a decaf Lady Grey (Twinings) and says it's marvelous, but that has hints of citrus in it.  I'm curious if someone knows of a great brand of decaf black tea?  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just wanted to share my favorite tea accessory. These are beautiful cups that don’t get too hot to hold but keep the tea warm. You can also use it with a teabag of course. And there are several designs available.

12B5490B-01B2-4ABD-9855-0F2BC36E2041.png

Honored Contributor

@Misplaced Parisian   Twinings, Harney Tea, and Upton also has plain black decaf that are good.  I make mine a little stronger than they say for some.  

Harney comes in pretty cans.

Other source is Elmwood Tea, and Cultured Cup in Dallas in one of the best!  They have Mariage Freres tea not in the tins so it is a little cheaper.  It is my favorite, but not my normal.  Their flavors are exceptional!  Almond, apricot, vanilla, black orchid. . . OH my! 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian   Twinings, Harney Tea, and Upton also has plain black decaf that are good.  I make mine a little stronger than they say for some.  

Harney comes in pretty cans.

Other source is Elmwood Tea, and Cultured Cup in Dallas in one of the best!  They have Mariage Freres tea not in the tins so it is a little cheaper.  It is my favorite, but not my normal.  Their flavors are exceptional!  Almond, apricot, vanilla, black orchid. . . OH my! 

@Sooner   Squeals of glee.  Thank you very much.  I have never heard of Elmwood Tea but will look that up pronto.  My sister would love the black orchid!  Again, many thanks for sharing.

Respected Contributor

I love teas from The Republic of Tea:

"Each cup of this black tea blend contains less than half the caffeine in a similarly-sized cup of coffee."

"Packaged in a specially-designed air-tight tin, this pack contains 50 of The Republic of Tea signature round, unbleached tea bags, with no unnecessary envelopes, strings, tags or staples.

The Republic of Tea is a progressive brand dedicated to enriching lives through the experience of premium tea, innovation and education as it emphasizes a Sip by Sip Rather Than Gulp by Gulp lifestyle."

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the rooibos recommendations, @just bee .  I have vaguely heard of it, and it is a fun word to say and spell!  Unfortunately I believe it is an herbal tea, no?  I would still like to try it, on your recommendation, but sadly I am a true black tea hound with little taste for all the various herbals, although I drink a number of them.

I don't even like most "flavored" black teas-- must have the straight tea leaf flavor, strong as possible.

My favorite 'special occasion' tea is of course the legendary Lapsang souchong, which maybe you could say is "flavored".  It gets its famously "smoky" taste from having the tea leaves smoked over a wood fire.  Oh, I love Lapsang souchong, when I'm not drinking PG Tips.

Even Churchill loved Lapsang souchong-- maybe it reminded him of his sooty cigars, ha.

Since it is so strong and distinctively flavorful, maybe a decaf version of it might survive the decaffeinating process... hmmm, will have to investigate.  I've been reduced to using two Irish Breakfast Decaf teabags ( or considering two tea infusers) at once to get real tea taste...

Honored Contributor

Those cups are very beautiful, @tucsongal !

Trusted Contributor

@tucsongal  I have a couple of those and LOVE them!!!  I also had to get the cafe cup in pink last year with the botanical garden teas.  Divine.

Honored Contributor

I love tea, I don't drink coffee. It has to be caffeinated, brands I like are Salada, Red Rose, Tetley, and Lipton. I don't care for any of the herbal teas.

Honored Contributor

Another fun fact about smoky Lapsang souchong.  I think it's Wiki that reports something like, that when they were creating the character of Captain Jean Luc Picard for "Star Trek",  he was to be a connoiseur of Lapsang souchong, at Patrick Stewart's suggestion. 

Apparently, the "powers that be" on the show said that that would be too "out there", or something, for the audience, and they gave his character a different, more familiar tea preference instead.  Good grief!