Trusted Contributor

TB vacine may have offered some countries additional protection from Covid 19

[ Edited ]

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11763303/coronavirus-death-map-countries-compulsory-bcg-jabs/

Please note the "may" in the title.  I thought it was interesting.  You can find other articles if you are interested in "googling." Nothing conclusive yet that I saw. Research is ongoing in a number of countries.

To be clear, I am not urging anyone to run out and get a TB vaccine. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

Re: TB vacine may have offered some countries additional protection from Covid 19

[ Edited ]

If you click on the link in the article you can read the full abstract or if you click on the pdf icon next to the abstract you can read the full study for free. Thanks for posting. This is very interesting. I found the comparisons by country and by year of first useage most interesting. The countries that adopted use more recently, such as Iran, had higher COVID deaths in the elderly than countries that adopted the vaccine much earlier, such as Japan.

In other words, the death rate for elderly from COVID-19 in Japan; that's used this vaccine longer, is lower than the death rate for the elderly with COVID-19 in Iran; which has not used the vaccine as long as Japan. There were many other countries compared inthe study. I'm just providing one example. The study controlled for economic and healthcare system differences among countries it compared.

Valued Contributor

Re: TB vacine may have offered some countries additional protection from Covid 19

I read something similar about those who have had a pneumonia vaccination; that if they contracted covid-19 their lungs would not be attacked to the same degree as a patient who never had one and they would be much more likely to survive and go home early without need of a vent.  

Esteemed Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

I read something similar about those who have had a pneumonia vaccination; that if they contracted covid-19 their lungs would not be attacked to the same degree as a patient who never had one and they would be much more likely to survive and go home early without need of a vent.  

@germanshepherdlove 

So many of these studies are contradicting each other.  I recently read an article saying that the lungs of COVID 19 patients were often riddled with blood clots, and that was the cause of their apparent "pneumonia." In that case, all of the pneumonia vaccinations in the world wouldn't make a difference because it was a whole different process going on. The premise of the article was that COVID is a blood disease that kills by clotting in various parts of the body.  Scary, no matter how you look at it. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dr Seheult has posted a series of videos on youtube giving Covid 19 updates.  The site is  "Medcram" which provides continuing education for physicians and medical care providers.  Several of the videos address the clotting issues.

The videos are very scientific and Dr. Seheult actively treats Covid 19 in the ICU.  The videos are ongoing, so that as more is learned about Covid; more issues are addressed.  

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

@MarieIG and @shoesnbags Those MedCram videos from Dr. Seheult are fantastic.  So much information that is vital to our understanding of the illness.  A doctor in Italy is now saying that in the past 4-5 weeks, the people contracting Covid-19 are far less ill.  This is from direct observation, and of course, the media wants to fan the flames of Covid-19 terror, and deny the virus is weakening.  Yet, even here in the US, more and more cases are being diagnosed, yet the death rates and hospitalization rates are on the decline.  

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@MarieIG and @shoesnbags Those MedCram videos from Dr. Seheult are fantastic.  So much information that is vital to our understanding of the illness.  A doctor in Italy is now saying that in the past 4-5 weeks, the people contracting Covid-19 are far less ill.  This is from direct observation, and of course, the media wants to fan the flames of Covid-19 terror, and deny the virus is weakening.  Yet, even here in the US, more and more cases are being diagnosed, yet the death rates and hospitalization rates are on the decline.  

Part of the issue with viruses becoming less dangerous over time is that they tend to kill those most vulnerable early on. Viruses do evolve however and typically evolve into less dangerous forms.

The numbers we're seeing in America right now are very encouraging. More testing is being done with fewer positive cases. In early April we were testing about 100,000-150,000 people per day and on average, about 30,000 were testing positive each day. Lately, we've been testing about 400,000-500,000 a day (492,276 for those who want a precise upper number) and the number who are testing positive is between 16,000 and 25,000. We're now testing three to four times as many people, and instead of finding three to four times as many cases, we're finding fewer cases than we were before. That's very good news.

The results from Italy and the US, both northern hemisphere countries, could also be impacted by the arrival of more summer-like weather. Viruses of this type tend to fade a bit in the heat. We're seeing more of a surge in southern hemisphere countries now that are entering their fall/winter period. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I'm confused, we get tb vaccines whn we're kids. So what does this prove?
Trusted Contributor

@willomenia wrote:
I'm confused, we get tb vaccines whn we're kids. So what does this prove?

People in the U. S. do not typically get a TB vaccine, though I do remember being tested while still in school.

https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/basics/vaccines.htm

Honored Contributor

By the way, the WHO is restarting the hydroxychloroquine study. They'd stopped the study after the reports in the Lancet and New England Journal of Medicine showed a higher death rate for those taking hydroxychloroquine. Both of those studies were based on data from a company called Surgisphere that had supposedly collected the data from multiple hospitals (1200) worldwide. It now appears that Surgisphere may have fabricated the data they'd reported as multiple hospitals they'd reportedly gotten data from have now said they never supplied any data to Surgisphere and have never heard of the company. 

The WHO reviewed their own data and discovered no correlation between a higher death rate and hydroxychloroquine use and combined with some serious questions about the integrity of Surgisphere's data have now restarted the testing. The Lancet and NEJM are reviewing the articles and are likely to retract them in the very near future.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!