Honored Contributor

TASK FORCE ANNOUNCING ADDITIONAL "MEDICAL STATIONS" FOR HARDEST HIT STATES

[ Edited ]

For those interested, the Covid-19 Task Force is on now, announcing that additional "medical stations" with the requisite supplies will be set up in at least the 3 hardest hit states, California, New York, Washington.  This is in addition to the ships.  I'm thinking that a medical station is a small field hospital-- think just one of them was discussed as having 750 beds.

Great to have these on the way.  I had recently heard of American field hospitals being set up in hard-hit Europe.  There's one that's even right adjacent to an already existing Italian hospital.  The Italian staff were thrilled to get this additional help from abroad.

Edited to add:  The medical stations going to California have a 2000 bed capacity.

Respected Contributor

Re: TASK FORCE ANNOUNCING ADDITIONAL "MEDICAL STATIONS" FOR HARDEST HIT STATES

[ Edited ]

The USNS Comfort will not be heading to NY harbor from Norfolk until April due to scheduled maintenance.

The Mercy is heading to  Seatte and not California.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

Sorry I will believe it when I see it.  Alot of these recents have been news to the folks who have to make it happen:

Latest headline from CNBC: The Pentagon said Wednesday that  Navy hospital ships intended to help New York hospitals and west coast dealing with a rapidly expanding load of coronavirus cases will not be ready for weeks.

Honored Contributor

Interesting fact I didn't know--  FEMA will be building the medical stations.  Their emergency powers and capabilities are vast. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think we’ll soon hear more about the temporary hospital sites that have been identified in NYC, like the Javits Center.  A shame the hospital ship isn’t ready yet.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The COVID19 ‘Task’ group basically reports on initiatives already started elsewhere.

Washington state has been videoing the building of a isolation / medical unit for over a few weeks, and have purchased at least one hotel for that use as well.   The USS hospital ships were supposed to be arriving last week - but one has not arrived in Washington yet, and the other although also announced last week as being on the way to NYC has been, and still is, in dry dock in Norfolk undergoing refitting.  Both ships, when they arrive will be used for hospital step down, not COVID19, as they are not fitted for isolation.

Gov. Cuomo reported on several sites already being fitted up for satellite medical centers last week.

So glad  If  FEMA has been released.  I recall that NY and Washington asked for it several days ago.  

I have found that the task force reports often contain conflicting remarks.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snoopp wrote:

I think we’ll soon hear more about the temporary hospital sites that have been identified in NYC, like the Javits Center.  A shame the hospital ship isn’t ready yet.  

Washington State has been doing this for at least 3 weeks ago.  They bought a motel, and are leasing other small motels.  They are setting up field hospitals on soccer fields.

Esteemed Contributor

This is GREAT news for our beleaguered state of Washington! Any amount of additional medical services and supplies are, DRASTICALLY needed and APPRECIATED!

Our healhcare workers are working to the point of mental and physical exhaustion! We've lost several doctors to the virus, and more nurses and doctors are getting sick because of the lack of MASKS and GLOVES and staff!. I hold them in prayer, and am forever grateful for their service!

~~~All we need is LOVE and HUGS today💖🤗

Honored Contributor

Someone just asked a question that I have wondered about.  Will the 15 day guidelines be extended at the end? 

I have just assumed they will, just as the stringent, individual restrictions in the hardest hit states will probably continue after the initial, proposed period.  It avoids disappointment if you assume a longer period.

The whole "flattening the curve" process is such a constantly evolving, sort of "rolling" process-- it requires assessment and re-assessment as events and data continue to unfold.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wish people would not post threads about these press conferences or the task force. They are political and encourage political debate. We can't discuss whether or not the info provided during these shows is completely accurate because that veers into political waters. But if we only go by what is initially presented, we are not always dealing with the actual situation and facts on the ground.

Many of the announcements have not panned out.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr