Respected Contributor

Re: TARGET BUYS 'Grand Junction' For Same-Day Delivery

One probably good thing is that this has opened up a whole new employment opportunity for the average person who wants to make extra money delivering orders.  I have a retired friend who started delivering for Amazon.  He delivers 15 to 20 packages per day within a local area.  The area changes from day to day.  Sometimes he even gets good tips (in the wealthy neighborhoods)!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Noel7  I thought you were telling us Target bought Grand Junction, Colorado.  I didn't even know it was for sale. 

I don't know what has happened to UPS but they've about doubled their delivery time, not even meeting the EDDs.  Stuff gets to that Hodgkins, Il. distribution center and its like they fall off the planet, no more tracking and there they sit.  I've got 3 items that have been there 4 days with no movement indicated.  I'm thoroughly disgusted. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I don't buy from Target and I can't imagine that I would ever shop online with them.  There is Target near my office and when I worked in the office, I sometimes browsed around at lunch time.  The grocery section was nice but the other stuff was uninspiring and there was not much of it.  Target will never compete with Amazon or the shopping channels.  They might be trying to compete with Walmart but Walmart has huge head start on them.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7  One of the things about QVC that sort of puzzles me is that so many here remember the early days of QVC as being so fantastic, yet in those years, my delivery time was like yours is now -  and I sent more items back then than I do now. 

Of course, there was no Amazon and we were used to waiting -  for the catalogs to show up and later the orders.  I know the retail world has to change -  I'm happy, though, to have reached the time when I need much less and rarely care about delivery times.

Honored Contributor

I have the Target Red debit Card that is hooked to my checking account so I always get free delivery plus the 5% discount.

Generally I order from Target on-line and have it delivered for a couple of reasons. Sometimes the item isn't available in the store when I check availability and this way, I'm not in Target roaming around and buying things I don't need.  It saves me money to just have the item shipped to my house.

Speaking of Walmart, they have the grocery service at some of our Walmart stores.  I have a friend who used the service and was very impressed.  She ordered what she wanted, waited the amount of time they told her to wait, pulled up to the store and they loaded her groceries in the car for her and off she went.  The problem for me is the closest Walmart that does this is about 25 minutes away and there is no easy way to get there.    

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I never think of getting delivery from Target, mainly becase it's somewhere reasonably close by that I don't mind going to shop - whereas I try to avoid Walmart when possible. The Walmarts around me are gross while the Targets are at least clean, and usually well stocked. 

This is good to know, though, because from what I read of Walmart delivery, I have NO interest in that. 

Hi @Moonchilde

Even tho there are Targets all around, none are really close to us.  I hope they deliver food, too... DH likes the little fresh steaks they carry, and they have a lot of basic foods, ground coffee, things we normally use.

We had a horrible virus not long ago and I tried ordering soups and a few sides (like rice) from Walmart.  They were delivered in two days, along with a dozen boxes of Puffs and paper towels.

IMO Target has nicer things but they take longer, about four days for delivery.  Same day would be great IMO!

@Noel7 Amazon has spoiled everyone ;-) I'm very bummed because out here in the boonies, things like Amazon Fresh & the fast food deliveries aren't available to me. When I had surgery in the city, I ordered groceries from Vons/Safeway and they even brought them upstairs for me.  

CVS has a curbside pickup option. They also have "home delivery (to your door)", but their website doesn't specify if that's same-day or next day via local delivery, or just via "mail."

If you don't live in a city, I think the sort of stuff we need when we're too sick to drive is not easy to come by. But in a big city, Uber might even do it.

I like to shop for some foods at Target just to be different. The local Safeway is blah. Do you have Nob Hill in SF? They are my favorite, but not the closest.

@Moonchilde

We have THE Nob Hill in SF Woman LOL but not the grocery store as far as I know.  I looked and didn't see mention of one, either.

But we do have a downtown Safeway with upscale and imported foods, my daughter shops there for us all every so often, she's in that area often. 

I've had food delivered from Safeway on two occasions, several items never make it, they're out.  They also substitute something else every time and I call and tell them to take it off my bill, I didn't order it.

I'm considering Prime for food but it seems kind of expensive, almost $200 a year to sign up and a delivery charge unless you order more than $40 of food.  Don't know if I got that right.  I checked some of their prices and it was high for bananas, DH and I split one every day for cereal, only 19 cents each at TJoes.  I'm in a quandary.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Noel7  I thought you were telling us Target bought Grand Junction, Colorado.  I didn't even know it was for sale. 

I don't know what has happened to UPS but they've about doubled their delivery time, not even meeting the EDDs.  Stuff gets to that Hodgkins, Il. distribution center and its like they fall off the planet, no more tracking and there they sit.  I've got 3 items that have been there 4 days with no movement indicated.  I'm thoroughly disgusted. 

LOL @Kachina624 Woman LOL

We have trouble with UPS also, Kachina.  The tracking is usually way off, then when it gets here they transfer it to the post office which takes at least an extra two days.  

The packages sit somewhere for days usually, too, like they do for you.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't buy from Target and I can't imagine that I would ever shop online with them.  There is Target near my office and when I worked in the office, I sometimes browsed around at lunch time.  The grocery section was nice but the other stuff was uninspiring and there was not much of it.  Target will never compete with Amazon or the shopping channels.  They might be trying to compete with Walmart but Walmart has huge head start on them.

@chrystaltree

Target designs their stores for the neighborhood.  I've been to MANY and have never seen a bad one.  We have six in our area, maybe more.  Most are upscale affordable compared to some.  Really nice things for the home.  Good brands of fresh coffee, nice steaks and beef or chicken.  Great things for the holidays.  My favorite one sells a LOT of beauty items from Europe, also.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Noel7  One of the things about QVC that sort of puzzles me is that so many here remember the early days of QVC as being so fantastic, yet in those years, my delivery time was like yours is now -  and I sent more items back then than I do now. 

Of course, there was no Amazon and we were used to waiting -  for the catalogs to show up and later the orders.  I know the retail world has to change -  I'm happy, though, to have reached the time when I need much less and rarely care about delivery times.

I agree with you @millieshops  I used to send things back fairly often for problems with them.  Now I don't order much and I'm more careful.  I did buy a really nice ring for my daughter's birthday.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree

Target designs their stores for the neighborhood.  I've been to MANY and have never seen a bad one.  We have six in our area, maybe more.  Most are upscale affordable compared to some.  Really nice things for the home.  Good brands of fresh coffee, nice steaks and beef or chicken.  Great things for the holidays.  My favorite one sells a LOT of beauty items from Europe, also.

We don't have those smaller ones yet, there are a few scheduled to open in 2018.  One is very near me but honestly, I don't see the point.  Perhaps they appeal to some people but I don't think I'd ever be interested in a small Target or any small chain store.  There's a small version of Sephora near me, a mini Sephora.  I do love the Sephora stores but small one was a disappointment, I won't go back.  I'll just shop Sephora.com.  I went in for two things and they didn't have either one...but they could order them for me.  Huh?  I went home and ordered them online myself and got them in 3 days.