Honored Contributor

TARGET BUYS 'Grand Junction' For Same-Day Delivery

[ Edited ]

Sounds good! Target Buys Startup Grand Junction to Boost Same-Day Delivery Firepower

Target  has bought itself a big new weapon to compete in the intensifying same-day and local delivery wars.

The discount retailer said on Monday it is buying Grand Junction, a San Francisco-based startup that connects retailers and other distributors to a network of more than 700 carriers across North America, a move to better go toe-to-toe with rivals Amazon.com and Walmart  among others that have vastly increased their fast delivery capabilities.

The deal "will accelerate the work we’re doing to improve our speed of delivery. It will also boost our ability to offer new services – like same-day delivery, and even assembly and installation"...

Target's e-commerce grew 22% last quarter...

FORTUNE

Respected Contributor

Re: TARGET BUYS 'Grand Junction' For Same-Day Delivery

Have only purchased some blinds online from Target.  Walmart has super fast delivery - usually comes Fed Ex.  Very impressed with Walmart's delivery.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Have only purchased some blinds online from Target.  Walmart has super fast delivery - usually comes Fed Ex.  Very impressed with Walmart's delivery.

Hi @hoosieroriginal

I've used Walmart at times, usually when I was sick and didn't want to go out shopping.  I have had some things delivered in two days, most orders were broken up and some of the orders came later.

Amazon usually comes in one to two days.

I get a 5% discount on anything I buy at Target and I use them when timing doesn't matter.  I like the idea of same day delivery.  I know Amazon also does that but what I order never qualifies.

Honored Contributor

I never think of getting delivery from Target, mainly becase it's somewhere reasonably close by that I don't mind going to shop - whereas I try to avoid Walmart when possible. The Walmarts around me are gross while the Targets are at least clean, and usually well stocked. 

This is good to know, though, because from what I read of Walmart delivery, I have NO interest in that. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Unless it's my dinner, I just don't care but I do know companies need to try to compete.  .

I did receive both of the items I ordered last week from QVC in 3 days, so they're trying too.  I most often have a 4 or 5 day delivery time.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I never think of getting delivery from Target, mainly becase it's somewhere reasonably close by that I don't mind going to shop - whereas I try to avoid Walmart when possible. The Walmarts around me are gross while the Targets are at least clean, and usually well stocked. 

This is good to know, though, because from what I read of Walmart delivery, I have NO interest in that. 

Hi @Moonchilde

Even tho there are Targets all around, none are really close to us.  I hope they deliver food, too... DH likes the little fresh steaks they carry, and they have a lot of basic foods, ground coffee, things we normally use.

We had a horrible virus not long ago and I tried ordering soups and a few sides (like rice) from Walmart.  They were delivered in two days, along with a dozen boxes of Puffs and paper towels.

IMO Target has nicer things but they take longer, about four days for delivery.  Same day would be great IMO!

Honored Contributor

It takes on average 4 days to get orders from walmart,and like was said they are broken up.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Unless it's my dinner, I just don't care but I do know companies need to try to compete.  .

I did receive both of the items I ordered last week from QVC in 3 days, so they're trying too.  I most often have a 4 or 5 day delivery time.

That' great @millieshops

QVC delivery for me is ten days to two weeks.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

It takes on average 4 days to get orders from walmart,and like was said they are broken up.

Hi @goldensrbest

That's it probably most of the time for me, too, and then I have to figure out what didn't come and where it is.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Hi @Moonchilde

Even tho there are Targets all around, none are really close to us.  I hope they deliver food, too... DH likes the little fresh steaks they carry, and they have a lot of basic foods, ground coffee, things we normally use.

We had a horrible virus not long ago and I tried ordering soups and a few sides (like rice) from Walmart.  They were delivered in two days, along with a dozen boxes of Puffs and paper towels.

IMO Target has nicer things but they take longer, about four days for delivery.  Same day would be great IMO!

@Noel7 Amazon has spoiled everyone ;-) I'm very bummed because out here in the boonies, things like Amazon Fresh & the fast food deliveries aren't available to me. When I had surgery in the city, I ordered groceries from Vons/Safeway and they even brought them upstairs for me.  

CVS has a curbside pickup option. They also have "home delivery (to your door)", but their website doesn't specify if that's same-day or next day via local delivery, or just via "mail."

If you don't live in a city, I think the sort of stuff we need when we're too sick to drive is not easy to come by. But in a big city, Uber might even do it.

I like to shop for some foods at Target just to be different. The local Safeway is blah. Do you have Nob Hill in SF? They are my favorite, but not the closest.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all