Honored Contributor

Re: TAKING LICENSE AWAY FROM ELDERLY PARENT

@Desertdi wrote:

I remember my co-workers being SHOCKED that I was still "allowed" to drive when I turned 60................(!!!!!)

Shoekitty said

I have volunteers who work in the museum that are in thier late eighties.  One is 90. They are so sharp, and medically fit, they put me to shame!  I think age is not always relevant when it comes to driving

Honored Contributor

I completely agree that age is not the primary indicator, since several people in my caregivers support group are in their late 80's or early 90's and they drive in our town with narrow winding streets, parallel park...no problems.  There are always exceptions.  but....I think there are many people with misgivings as to whether some of their older relatives should still be driving.  If you have doubts...please stay aware and take action if necessary.  

Esteemed Contributor

We had too take the car away from my late father in law (at the time, he was 83).  He had an accident at the drive through window (bank) and also knocked off a few side view mirrors in a row of parked cars.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

I have found that the Dr's are at fault in a lot of these cases.  I will give you an example.

My husband about 7 months before he passed, the Dr had him on 4 xanex a day.  He was falling as he was not getting enough oxygen to his brain, his Dr told him it was ok for him to drive.  Tell me how wrong that is?

I saw a police officer sittiing at the post office and I went up and asked him about it.  He said if he has an accident, he would be arrested for DUI.   I had to take his keys , but man was he a miserable person to be around after that.  THe Dr giving him permission made me look like the bad guy.  The Dr's should work with the caregivers and be realistic about when a patient needs to get off the road.  

Super Contributor

My father is 88 y.o. as well.  He still has his license and his car.  He doesn't drive, but it gives him the feeling of independence.  I have been driving my parents everywhere for a few years.  I know their schedule, and I "just happen" to be available when they want to go somewhere.  It does take a lot of time out of my schedule, and my life is arranged around theirs, but they are safe as well as others on the road.

My husband is a terrific help.  They live in a condo without garages.  When the car battery is dead, we bring it to our house and charge it.  When the forecast is snow, we bring it here so they don't have to clean it off or move it if the parking lot needs to be plowed.  

It is done with their dignity in mind.  Personally, I enjoy the time we have together and still am learning about their lives before kids.  I wouldn't give it up for anything.  

Each circumstance is different, and I wish you well.

Respected Contributor

About 8 or so years ago, during a local but quite popular & famous bike race around Tucson, called El Tour De Tucson, an elderly man in his 90's hit a group of cyclists & left the scene & hid his car in his garage at the resort where he lived & tried to wipe the blood off of his fender.   It took several days before he finally came forward. 

One of the cyclists had a traumatic brain injury & was in a coma & several others were seriously injured. 

As I recall, they sued the elderly man for millions of dollars & also sued the county/city who put on the race, not sure how much they ended up with.   The old guy ended up moving to FL to live with family, since his judgement could no longer be trusted.   It's too bad his family didn't intervene before it happened.

Respected Contributor

There was also a crash in CA a few years ago where a man drove his car into a crowed market area and killed a few people.  He hit the gas instead of the brakes.

i still like Snowpuppy s idea if the DMV calling her for a test.  

Honored Contributor

@makeup addict wrote:

There was also a crash in CA a few years ago where a man drove his car into a crowed market area and killed a few people.  He hit the gas instead of the brakes.

Yes...I believe that was on the Santa Monica pier?  They filmed the guy after the accident, and he was horrified about all the people he killed.  I'm sure this ruined his life, as well as those of all the families who lost their loved ones.  

Honored Contributor

@makeup addict wrote:

Gotta love google.  One suggestion she can keep the keys, if you can put a club anti theft device on the steering wheel! Lol extreme, but it would work!

this doesnt necessarily work either.

i remember a thread a while back and someone said they took away their fathers keys. what did he do the next day?

he called someone at the dealership to make a new key for him so that he could drive his car.

it is even easier to call a locksmith and have them come and open the club device.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@makeup addict wrote:

Lived and worked in the area, went to that market often - both before and after they put firm barriers up because of the incident. Readers might find the Wiki entry illuminating. There was more to it than "accident." For whatever the reason, most local people felt at the time because of eyewitness accounts that it was on purpose. At sentencing, the judge cited his "callousness" and "lack of remorse."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Monica_Farmers_Market_crash

Life without Mexican food is no life at all