Valued Contributor

Today I went to my local police department to thank, in person, as many officers as I could for their dedication and service to our community. Each were so surprised and grateful. One female officer actually got tears in her eyes. Every one of them hugged me.  I didn't know, but one of the officers was the Chief of Police.  I told him I wish I could thank all 54 officers personally.  He gave me his card and suggested I send an email to his attention - he would MAKE SURE my email was forwarded to each and every officer.  

My community is about 20 minutes away from Fox Lake, IL where the police officer was killed.

It takes so little time and effort to say thank you - I hope readers here will pay it forward in their communities.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: TAKE TIME TO SAY THANK YOU

Great idea. I'm very grateful to police officers. They've always been amazing to me.

Honored Contributor

I've always been big on saying thank you.  Please and thank you are very important.  I grew up when that was actually pushed so it's just ingrained in me, but I really appreciate the value of being polite and grateful.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I respect and honor policeman, fireman,medics, nurses , doctors....anyone who helps mankind in such a selfless way. 

Contributor

Yesterday I was having lunch at a restaurant and there were two policemen having lunch also.  When I was leaving I went to their table for the same reason, to thank them for ther service to keep all of us safe.  They both got big smiles on their faces and thanked me.  I have been doing this whenever I get the chance for a couple of years now..

I live in Tucson, not too far from a border patrol station, and see them around quite frequently and I always thank them too. They really have a thankless and dangerous job trying to keep our border safe.

Honored Contributor

'All in all', how could we manage to sleep at night without them?  Not at all.  'No how, no way'.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

My dad was in law enforcement for years.  You can't even believe the abuse they have to put up with.  

Esteemed Contributor

@shoptheQwhat a great idea, and what a lovely gesture. You have inspired me to reach out to our finest, thank you!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Valued Contributor

@luv-the-Q wrote:

My dad was in law enforcement for years.  You can't even believe the abuse they have to put up with.  

Luv-the-Q - I certainly do believe they have to put up with all sorts of abuse - which is why they all need to be thanked for their service.  God Bless your Dad.

Valued Contributor

Wonderful thread, @shoptheQ!