Respected Contributor

Re: Sympathy for those of you up north

@SuzieGarnet wrote:

@marmot24, this little guy made his own path...  when it starts thawing yours will be a much more happy camper..

Too darn cute!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@marmot24

My husband just came back from our local Giant Eagle and it was packed too.  He said he thought it was strange since the new ads start tomorrow and it being so bitter cold.  Then he had the "ahah" moment and remembered they are calling for snow again late tonight.  

Nothing like the words "snow predicted " that sends people out to the grocery stores.  Or may-be its just the beautiful sunny day. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@151949 at least the sun is shining here today. Yesterday, was a mess. There were white out conditions and it was awful. My DD had to drive the road by Hereford and it was white knuckle. 

I think we are going to 40 in a few days, this warm winter has us spoiled...until now.

My friend has to drive from her job in Oakland to her home out in the country near Keystone state Park. She wasn't able to get there until 11:30 PM. I think I would have just stayed in oakland.

@151949 Wow, thats one long commute on a regular day.

The parkway, turnpike, Rt 28 and I-70 were all a mess yesterday with accidents.  Big accident on turnpike up near Somerset and the detour around it was something like 76 miles.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a fourth- generation Californian, living on the coast. I have never lived in

snowy conditions.  My husband used to travel a lot to Minneapolis for business,

and he used to come back with many interesting stories about the weather.

One of our sons attended the University of Colorado in Boulder.  When I would

visit, I was definitely a fish out of water.

As much as I love it here, there certainly are beautiful places in our nation.

And I always remember my favorite English teacher, a Princeton grad., used to say you can't fully appreciate poetry or literature if you haven't lived in a place with four genuine seasons.  I loved this instructor, and I still remember what he said.

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We are feeling the chill here in Florida too but nothing like up in Pittsburgh where todays high will be 17. Since I'm freezing at 57 degrees I have much sympathy for you all. We just turned on the furnace for the first time in 2 years. Get under those nice fleece throws you all get at QVC and keep warm. I just got home from sewing club - i drove down on the golf cart --- big mistake - and we were all sitting around in sweatshirts and fleece jackets. You all northerners would have gotten a laugh at us.

Pffft....I'm from Chicago, at 57 degrees we turn off the furnace,open all the windows to air out the house and break out our shorts and flip flops!  This is nuthin'....

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

I don't know...I'm kinda loving the cold weather that has hit us finally : D

@SahmIam

no sympathy needed here either......i am LOVING this weather, FINALLY! i feel invigorated!

Same here in NJ....I love the change in seasons....it was too warm in December....

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@NUNYA wrote:

@151949 at least the sun is shining here today. Yesterday, was a mess. There were white out conditions and it was awful. My DD had to drive the road by Hereford and it was white knuckle. 

I think we are going to 40 in a few days, this warm winter has us spoiled...until now.

My friend has to drive from her job in Oakland to her home out in the country near Keystone state Park. She wasn't able to get there until 11:30 PM. I think I would have just stayed in oakland.

@151949 Wow, thats one long commute on a regular day.

The parkway, turnpike, Rt 28 and I-70 were all a mess yesterday with accidents.  Big accident on turnpike up near Somerset and the detour around it was something like 76 miles.  

I knew about the I70 accident because my friend has to drive it to get home or drive a lot of back woods roads instead, which she was afraid to do yesterday. So she stayed in Oakland until I 70 was back open.

Honored Contributor

@susan in California wrote:

I am a fourth- generation Californian, living on the coast. I have never lived in

snowy conditions.  My husband used to travel a lot to Minneapolis for business,

and he used to come back with many interesting stories about the weather.

One of our sons attended the University of Colorado in Boulder.  When I would

visit, I was definitely a fish out of water.

As much as I love it here, there certainly are beautiful places in our nation.

And I always remember my favorite English teacher, a Princeton grad., used to say you can't fully appreciate poetry or literature if you haven't lived in a place with four genuine seasons.  I loved this instructor, and I still remember what he said.

I 'experienced " snow and 4 season weather for over 60 years - now I prefer to no longer experience it anymore.

Respected Contributor

It was single digits this morning in Pgh, but didn't feel too bad because it was not windy. More snow tonight but should be done around 1 am. Hopefully, they get the roads treated before morning. I worked from home yesterday and it was a good thing because there were all kinds of horrible accidents and road closures.
Honored Contributor

Sorry, but I could never live in Florida.  I'll take the four seasons any time, despite the fact that I hate to shovel snow.  I have to admit, while it was kind of nice having a warm December, it just didn't seem right.  Now, January is more like winter!   (Glad you enjoy Florida, OP.)