Honored Contributor

that thread gets deleted now, I wanted you to know I saw and answered your comment, as posted below:

On 6/5/2014 sydsgma said: Ford, not to cause more chaos, but I caught your post. Neither my rheumatologist nor orthopedist will give cortisone during the rare times I use prednisone. Just a FYI.

Thanks sydsgma. I have a lot of respect for you and resent them mentioning your name. I have always taken you seriously, always. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Sydsgma . . . just in case

~~

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Ford I saw your reply. Thank you. I hope things are ok for you. I just dealt with what turned out to be a major flare in my replaced knee. Both of my docs said that is extremely rare. The good thing is I am fine now. RA is an insidious disease to say the least. (((Hugs))))
Honored Contributor

On 6/6/2014 sydsgma said: Ford I saw your reply. Thank you. I hope things are ok for you. I just dealt with what turned out to be a major flare in my replaced knee. Both of my docs said that is extremely rare. The good thing is I am fine now. RA is an insidious disease to say the least. (((Hugs))))

Sorry about your knee sydsgma, that must have come as an unwelcome surprise. Ironically, I don't have knee problems . . . every other joint, but so far not my knees, don't know why. I am glad to hear it is over now. I do wonder why you would have to take prednisone when you are already on a biologic. Do you have any signs of osteoporosis?

The ortho doc told me on Tuesday that I am a "complex" case. I don't know why he mentioned cortisone shots in my back because he knows I'm still on prednisone. He didn't offer it as a treatment for me specifically, he just said that it's available and then gave me the caveats. I think I had one many, many years ago in my lower back (way before prednisone and RA) and if I remember correctly, the pain was worse right after the shot, then got better for a few days, and then returned. Osteoporosis runs in my family, on both sides, because we're all small-boned I guess. I was obviously not a candidate for any steroid, but there ya go.

Have a good day. Smile

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

Ford...when I flare, which I do a few times a year, I do a burst and taper of prednisone over 10 days. One can still get flares with a biologic, but it is not as bad . The biggest positive of what I take is that my joint damage has been stopped. I had osteopenia and took Antonella for a few years, but currently my bone density is excellent. There really are some mean people on these boards. Yikes. Have a great day.
Honored Contributor

On 6/6/2014 sydsgma said: Ford...when I flare, which I do a few times a year, I do a burst and taper of prednisone over 10 days. One can still get flares with a biologic, but it is not as bad . The biggest positive of what I take is that my joint damage has been stopped. I had osteopenia and took Antonella for a few years, but currently my bone density is excellent. There really are some mean people on these boards. Yikes. Have a great day.

I was in the middle of a response to you and just got kicked out of the QVC forums altogether. Weird things happening on my computer, not sure of the source yet.

Anyway, I'll try to remember what I was saying and if I get kicked off again, I will try again later.

So see the next response from me. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

OK, trying again.

I did not know that the biologics and prednisone can be used together, I always thought it was either/or. I am so happy to hear that you have no bone loss or joint damage, that is wonderful news. The biologic you take has certainly done its job for you!

You have been so kind to me for a very long time on this issue, never getting mean or nasty (far from it!!) just because I have not taken your advice. You have no idea how much I appreciate that, in light of the fact that I certainly have a group of "fans" who follow me around and take joy in posting nasty things about me that they just make up. I don't try to defend myself, I either ignore them or tell them to go to you know where. Their agenda doesn't interest me at all.

I hope you don't get flares often, they are horrible to go through and I can certainly understand how a short treatment of prednisone can help. I'm still not sure what I will do if I am successful in getting off this stuff, as I am still in the titrating stage and have at least a half a year to go . . . I am down to 6 mgs (from 10 mgs last October), and with other attempts at getting to 5 mgs, I have not been successful. When I get to 5 mgs successfully is when I will see my rheumatologist again, because obviously, I will have to be on some other med after that. Unfortunately, with me most of the damage is already done.

Anyway, thanks again sydsgma, for your always kind comments. I know I am a frustrating individual and you have been so patient with that. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly Ford1224