Honored Contributor

Swing Time with Astaire and Rogers -- Oh, Boy!

While I was running down Lapdog's clip of Clark Gable dancing with "Les Blondes",  came across perhaps the quintessential Fred-and-Ginger dance.

This is for ANYONE today who might feel a bit down or "punky",  and needs a pick-me-up.  It always makes me smile.  I love it when mischievous Fred is pulling a bit of a fast one.  First, he pretends to be a klutz so that dance teacher Ginger will work with him.  Then, to rescue her job, he pretends to the studio owner that Ginger has transformed him from a stumblebum, to, well, Fred Astaire!

After all, there's no WRONG time to enjoy Fred and Ginger, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxPgplMujzQ

Honored Contributor

Re: Swing Time with Astaire and Rogers -- Oh, Boy!

[ Edited ]

Swing Time and Top Hat are my two favorite Asatire / Rogers musicals.  Day-brighteners for sure, with great music.

Respected Contributor

So much fun to watch those two ! Gosh I wish I could dance like that. 😄

Honored Contributor

Shouldn't this thread be in the TV & Movies forum?

Esteemed Contributor

I have seen the Astaire-Rogers movies many times. They were marvelous. If you have a chance to watch any of their movies, do it. They were fabulous.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Fred/Ginger were a great duo, but I was always a Gene Kelly person, myself.

Honored Contributor

Pearley, i did think of putting the thread in TV/Movies, but I was sort of looking at this video as serving as kind of a mood-lifter for anyone, a dose of visual Zoloft, as it were, ha.

So I thought if the mods allowed, it would be good in a more general thread so more people could see it...  I was glad they left it here.   Thanks, mods!

Honored Contributor

PlaidPants2, you have great taste. Gene Kelly has a marvelous, muscular athleticism that is a joy to watch.  And he's a magnetic performer in general, with an inventive gift for choreography as well.

While I thoroughly admire Gene, (after all, these few dancers who made it to the screen in the Golden Age of movies were all extremely skilled and at the top of their game), Fred somehow suits my temperament.  I love his "lightness", that off-hand quality, his subtlety, originality, and the spare romanticism that marks his work...

He's in my top five of screen performers of all time...

Honored Contributor

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers...goes together like salt and pepper.  Love them.  I don't watch them as often now, though.  I've seen their films too many times.

As a kid, I didn't go outside much so I started watching these movies a long, long time ago.  I'm almost 70 now.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

Often said of Ginger Rogers:

"She did everything he did. But backwards and in an evening gown and heels".

Amazing!