Honored Contributor

Re: Swim team swimsuits--your opinion

@Colinka wrote:

Thanks for your comments. I'll try to post stock images of what I mean.

The guys wear Speedos and swim shorts.

guys.jpg

This would be appropriate for young girlsgirl.jpg, in my view:

This is not:th.jpg

I don't have a problem with any of the photos posted. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I don't see a problem with the cut of the suit.I see way more excess flesh at the beach and the people wearing those suits don't have half as much coverage.

Nevermind that they often don't have the pretty bodies to wear them.Cat LOL

To the opinion of the suit, I do think that the girls wearing them might very well like the cut of them and don't mind showing what they've got.  Whether or not their parents like it, well, I doubt I'd like it if my daughter were wearing a suit that showed her rearview in that manner.  But that would be a mother's reaction and totally understandable I think.

I recall seeing suits with a LOT of rear "view" in the last Olympics' diving competittors.  All I really thought, though, (not being the mother of a daughter) was, wow, great buns!

Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

That is not a thong, not even close. It's a pretty standard female swim suit. My son is on the swim team at the Y, and most of the girls' suits look like that.

The boys don't wear Speedo briefs. They wear jammers, which extend down to the thigh.

@JJsMom

I find the jammers on the guys to be SO much more attractive than those tiny Speedos.

Honored Contributor

There is a difference, though, between a thong and a high cut suit that shows a lot of butt.

I don't see anyone wearing a thong in swim competitions.

Honored Contributor

I think it all comes down to self respect. The girls know what they are doing and they shouldn't be exhibiting themselves under the guise of swim team rules or swimming faster.LOL  If I had a daughter on a swim team, I can tell you she wouldn't be in a barely there swim suit and I'd have to ask what the coach is up to.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think the goal of swimsuits for team sports is to illicit sexual harrassment, etc.  I think the guys have it worse - tucking the junk in, shaving....my son was on HS swim.....he shaved and nipped and tucked.  A partially revealed butt cheek is not a big deal.

....they're athletes and not swimsuit models.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

This is not:th.jpg

my view:

I bet most of the problem with this suit is that she needs a long torso version.  Many people do and that's why they have all kinds of squishing on top and thongish on the bottom.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I own competition suits and my butt doesn't show to that extent in the picture but it does have a high cut and shows more hip and thigh.  That photo was a little too much showing.

Honored Contributor

So what?  What difference does it make to you?  Don't like it, stop staring at them.   They aren't your daughters, you aren't coach of the swim team, you aren't headmaster of the school.  As they say, you don't have a horse in that race.  Perhaps those are practice suits and the girls are wearing them they want to wear them.  

Honored Contributor

I assume the OP and her husband pay school taxes which gives them a horse in the race. If the boys wear the swim shorts instead of the tiny speedos than the girls should wear similar swim shorts.