Honored Contributor

Re: Swim team swimsuits--your opinion

As an old man "dirty (?)" is subjective, I think. Comment on the suits pictured to me is the same. What one sees as a problem, others may not.

As a now once again, avid ice skater that wears briefs under my outer pants, I can assure you that after a few short or longer "interval runs(fast skating for shorter distances)", with the shape of my pattutie, I have to pull a lot of material out of my cleavage when slow down or stop.

Ever watch women gymnasts/volleyball players/figure skaters? Their cheeks are usually well covered when their program/game begins, but? Lots of butt during and after. Movement begets movement and that is just the way of some physics, in my opinion, I know what has always happened to me with briefs. And boxers? No thank you.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

This would be appropriate for young girlsgirl.jpg, in my view:

This is not:th.jpg

I've worn both suits to swim laps and for Hydrofit classes. I currently wear and prefer the second suit, and I'm in my 50's. The seat on the "modest" suit rides up into the cheeks just as much, if not more (because there's a lot more material) than the second suit. The "modest" suit has far too much material in the seat/legs for anyone wearing it for a serious workout. It inhibits leg movement and is uncomfortable. I couldn't wait for it to wear out so I could get rid of it. When/if my suit bunches up on me while in the pool, I just adjust it before getting out. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

I'll bet the girls are wearing the suits exactly as they want to.  I'm just wondering why they can't be wearing spandex boy shorts or even longer shorts just like boys do...... as well as in gymnastics.

Honored Contributor

I don't see a problem with the cut of the suit.I see way more excess flesh at the beach and the people wearing those suits don't have half as much coverage.

Honored Contributor

There is a good chance those high school girls are wearing far less when they are at the beach. 

Honored Contributor

I swim almost daily and every year purchase the Speedo tank that Costco carries at the beginning of summer.  It is a cross between the two suits illustrated.  I like a higher leg as  it facilitates range of movement.  It is a timeless classic tank.  When it comes to sport's gear (including clothing), you do what works to do your best.  In some sports it could make a winning difference at a competitive level. Professionally, I doubt if the swimmers are standing around oggling each other unless the suit severely surpasses all boundaries of decorum...thongs would be in that category.  The second suit illustrated completely covers the front and although the leg coverage is a bit high, I don't find it within the thong category.  It looks like a competitive swim suit.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbird, since you're a serious swimmer, maybe you can answer this question...

If competitive male swimmers wear spandex shorts (to win), why not females?

I can't imagine that any article of clothing where elastic creeps up one's behind, whether half way or all the way, is comfortable. 

Respected Contributor

That is not a thong, not even close. It's a pretty standard female swim suit. My son is on the swim team at the Y, and most of the girls' suits look like that.

The boys don't wear Speedo briefs. They wear jammers, which extend down to the thigh.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

Personally, I don't care for the 'thong' type.  But I'm only guessing that those suits bring in lots of spectators and $$$$.  Same with tv volleyball tourneys, etc.  There's always a 'bottom line', so to speak. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Not my kid, not my school, not my team. I have no opinion. And yes I was on the school swim team in high school. If a parent of a child in that district has an issue with it, then they can voice their concern. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval