Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Swim team swimsuits--your opinion

My husband and I swim three times a week at our local YMCA. Since school started in Sept., we have noticed that the high school swim/diving team comes in about 3:30 pm to practice. When I got a gander at the training swimsuits the girls were wearing, I was flabbergasted. (I guess my use of these old fashioned terms may tip you to my age.) From the front they are fairly sedate. But, from the back, they are practically non-existant! The bottom look exactly like a thong, and there is only a tiny strap holding up the top. (I'd post a picture, but it would probably get zapped.)

Now, I know bikinis are commonplace, but I'm talking about regulation team swimsuits that the girls are required to wear. If my teen grand daughter were obliged to walk around in a competiton with her tush hanging out, I would be upset. (I asked the girls in the locker room if they had a choice as to the style, and they said they had to wear the  chosen model.)

Now, if they say the lack of any rear end coverage makes them better or faster swimmers, I'd ask, "Why aren't the guys wearing a similar style?"

Gymnasts, skaters, and other wear outfits with more coverage than the swimmers.There are competitive suits styles available that aren't so revealing. Why would a high school team select and require such revealing swimwear?

And, by the way, the hot tub immediately behing the pool where the girls stand, is full of leering old guys during practice. Creepy, yes!

Honored Contributor

Re: Swim team swimsuits--your opinion

The guys wear Speedo's so I'm not surprised the girls wear something like that as well. However, the Olympic swimmers are able to set and break amazing records without wearing thongs and skimpy bathing suits so....

Is it necessary? Don't know. But the HS boys team DOES wear Speedo bikini bottoms, like I said. The girls' team wears Speedo 1 piece tank suits and no, it doesn't have a thong.

Honored Contributor

If it were my daughter required to wear it I wouldn't be happy either.  It does seem odd that they have to expose themselves but the boys don't.  it's not right and I would look into who was the one who decided and ordered these suits.

Are they new?  Did they wear them last year?  Makes me wonder how their parents feel about them.

Honored Contributor

Wow..my daughter has been out of high school for 10 years, but girls were required to wear rather full coverage suits. 

We thought my daughter had one that qualified, but she had to borrow one from a friend for her PE swim class.

I would think the requirements for teams would be the same?

Respected Contributor

Is it the suits, or is it how they're wearing them? I just heard a swim mom talking about how all the high school girls "hike up" their suits, because she wanted to talk to the coach about it and/or stop having her sons and husband attend meets.

Honored Contributor

My DD was on the swim team, then captain, now coach in her adult life and yes they have to wear what the captain or coach orders. Are you saying it's a bikini? I have never seen a 2 piece on any team in our area of the East Coast. 

I know the suits are ordered to fit very tight and yes the back side isn't covered completely for that reason. We always ordered her suits 2 sizes down and they were tough to get in to till they stretch a bit....then you have to get a new one if it's sagging in any way.

I honestly never thought about it because the boys wear tight speedos.

It's what works for the sport.

Esteemed Contributor

I always thought the male Speedos were verging on obscene.  I never want to see guys junk not even shrunken junk.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your comments. I'll try to post stock images of what I mean.

The guys wear Speedos and swim shorts.

guys.jpg

This would be appropriate for young girlsgirl.jpg, in my view:

This is not:th.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I would have to see a picture in order to say yea or nay.

What is a "thong" to one person, isn't to another.

Just like what one person perceives as "leering", another person watching that same "creep", wouldn't.

Trusted Contributor

@Colinka  I think that the women's team for the USA (for the Olympics) wears their suits appropriately. These younger girls probably don't care and the leader who buys them probably doesn't either. It would probably take complaints to the person who hired their leader.