Trusted Contributor

Re: Sweets you love @ Christmas or Hannukah?

@blackhole99 wrote:

I love Rugelach the cinnamon with the plum jam and ground walnuts. I can make them, but they are so much work. One year I promised my friends I would make them some as gifts,NIGHTMARE! I also can't pass up dark choc. marshmallows or cheesecake or carrot cake. 

The Rugelach sounds delicious. 

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99,   I love Rugelach too but I buy mine at a restaurant called Corner Bakery.  I have not had in a while and now you got me thinking!  lol

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love snowballs, a buttery round cookie with walnuts rolled in powdered sugar! They are also known as italian wedding cookies, I believe.  I will be making some of those next week!   Yum!!

Honored Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

I love snowballs, a buttery round cookie with walnuts rolled in powdered sugar! They are also known as italian wedding cookies, I believe.  I will be making some of those next week!   Yum!!

@Newgate-Those snowballs sound kind of like my mothers Russian Tea Cookies that melt in your mouth!

I also love my sisters fruitcake with tons of brandy-she pours it all in thereWoman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Newgate wrote:

@Newgate-Those snowballs sound kind of like my mothers Russian Tea Cookies that melt in your mouth!

I also love my sisters fruitcake with tons of brandy-she pours it all in thereWoman LOL

@on the bayYes! That is another name for them that I could not think of!  Thanks!!  The fruitcake sounds stimulating!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Newgate-

Lol! "stimulating"-yes that would be a good word for it or maybe sleep inducing as wellSmiley HappyWoman LOL

My sister finds where my mother hides the Russian Tea Cookies (always in a Christmas tin), and then she shows me and we eat some before everyone else gets to them on Christmas day!Its our traditionSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Newgate-

Lol! "stimulating"-yes that would be a good word for it or maybe sleep inducing as wellSmiley HappyWoman LOL

My sister finds where my mother hides the Russian Tea Cookies (always in a Christmas tin), and then she shows me and we eat some before everyone else gets to them on Christmas day!Its our traditionSmiley Happy

@on the bayHave fun!  Merry Christmas!!

Trusted Contributor

I make peanut butter fudge every year. The recipe was passed on to me by a family friend decades ago. I grew up with this fudge. My mother always made chocolate and walnut fudge. I used to make peanut butter balls,but haven’t in quite awhile. It’s very time consuming, but worth it.

@Katcat1@ Thanks for the post! You may have given me the nudge to make the peanut butter balls. 😊

Respected Contributor

I miss my Mother's peanut brittle. She made it in a cast iron skillet.

Respected Contributor

@BirdieGal, this is my Grandmother's pizzelle recipe. Hope that you see on here.

Anise Pizzelles:

12 jumbo eggs

3 1/4 cups sugar

l pound of melted butter - let it cool'

3/4 cup whiskey

1 tsp. vanilla extract

4 T. Anise Oil

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

6 cups flour

Cream butter with sugar. Add 1 egg at a time and beat with a wooden spoon. Add flavorings and mix well. Add flour one cup at a time. Don't use electric mixer. Preheat the pizzelle iron which I spray with Pam. Put about a teaspoon of batter on the pizzelle iron and leave on for about 45 seconds. When they are all cool, wrap in wax paper and store in a cool place. Have a wonderful Christmas!