Valued Contributor

Re: Sweet or controlling neighbors?

I would also take it as a kind gesture. Someone likely saw you struggling and thought they would do you an anonymous kindness. 

If if you can figure out who your helper was, maybe an anonymous batch of cookies or muffins as a return thanks would be appreciated.....you never know, this may be the start of a lasting friendship. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

If your relationship with the neighbors has been friendly or if there have been other "random acts of kindness" I would lean toward sweet.

But, without knowing your relationship with the neighbors over the last three years, if there are "new" neighbors and why you felt the need to ask if the weeding was neighbors perhaps being "controlling" your question is difficult to answer.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@cookinfreak  You know, I used to have a next door neighbor in her eighties who had a lot of plants and bushes in front of her condo.  I loved that old lady (she was quite a pistol), and I always wanted to do things to help her out.  I always watered her plants (she had more than me) whenever I did my own.

I think your neighbors saw how difficult it was for you to care for your flowers and wanted to help you out.  God bless them!  Now I'm getting to the age where I may need some help with a few things, so I hope there will be someone around like that for me!  Cat Happy

There are a lot of good neighbors out there and I never thought about needing them for myself until last year a young man in or neighborhood saw my car still sitting in the early afternoon on a Wednesday.  He talked with his wife and they decided to come check on me.  It was Veteran's Day so I was home during the week and not injured hurt or tied up. They were just home for the day and not the 'holiday" and did not realize it was a holiday.  I was so touched until I realized I was viewed "older" than I viewed myself.  Still living alone I sleep better knowing I have good neighbors/friends.  I do remind them on other holidays coming up that I close the office for.  Need to take my naps!! 

The neighbors in this thread should be an inspiration to us all to go above and behond just raising our hands in passing as we walk or drive by each other.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

It sounds to me as if some good soul saw you working hard from your chair and decided  to perform a "random act of kindness." I understand your question, but recently a neighbor my dad doesn't even know walked over and asked dad if he could mow his back yard for him. Dad refuses to hire a service because he likes to do it, but he was struggling on a hot day, so a neighbor stepped in! How wonderful! 

Respected Contributor

@seattlegirl98026 wrote:

I would also take it as a kind gesture. Someone likely saw you struggling and thought they would do you an anonymous kindness. 

If if you can figure out who your helper was, maybe an anonymous batch of cookies or muffins as a return thanks would be appreciated.....you never know, this may be the start of a lasting friendship. Smiley Happy

Exactly what I was going to say and you did it for me!  

Thank you💐

Honored Contributor

How nice!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The way I see it, it could have been a little bit of both.

Perhaps they did indeed not like the look of the bed, and wanted the environment in which they live to look better. 

Just doing it without complaining or threatening or negative comments was a sweet thing to do, regardless of the motivation.

IT sounds like it would be obvious to them that you struggled with the project, and perhaps it isn't a bad thing at all, if it was a combination of sweet and controlling. 

Afterall, that is just what it takes to get things done in a community, people who care, but are proactive about making positive change.

Trusted Contributor

I don't like having people on my property when I don't know about it ahead of time, but this sounds like a very nice random act of kindness.

Honored Contributor

@cookinfreak

"I did not see anyone or hear anything."

So how do you know it was a neighbor?  Just saying...

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the replies.  I was taking it as a sweet gesture but someone I told the story to said she would be offended that they would think her yard was an embarrasment to the neighborhood. I get along with my neighbors so I didn't think about it in a bad way until I talked to her.  Even my grouchiest neighgor is easy to get along with.  He just isnt the type that waves when you drive by or to say hello much.  But he has helped me out a time or two.

Thanks again all!

cookin