Valued Contributor

Sweet or controlling neighbors?

Here is my question-I live in a town home with no HOA.  We do hire snow removal, but as far as yard work, we all do our own (or hired by the individual).  I have a very small flower bed that was put in before I moved in.  I will eventually re-do it cuz they just threw some bricks down and some dirt and called it a flower bed.  I have been working on it for 3 years now as far as keeping it looking halfway decent with planting some flowers (was all weeds when I moved in) and spraying and pulling weeds.  Mostly dandelions.  I have bad knees, so can't kneel down but do take a lawn chair to sit in and pull weeds.  Can't do it for very long, but I do it as long as I can.  I got up this morning and noticed that the rest of the weeds had been pulled.  I did not see anyone or hear anything.  Should I be grateful or resentful?

I thought about putting a note on my tree thanking them and that my house could use a good cleaning too!  haha

cookin 

Respected Contributor

Re: Sweet or controlling neighbors?

Oh, man.  I have a few weeds that need pulling.  Please send your neighbors over here.

Honored Contributor

Maybe they saw how difficult it may have been and wanted to do something nice for you? It sounds like a sweet thing to do.

I smiled at your idea of the cleaning the house noteSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Be grateful, the person did it out of the kindness of their heart. You have a great neighbor. 

Honored Contributor

Let the deed come from their heart to your heart.  If they are an ugly type of person you would have probably been requested get the job done instead of them just doing it.

I think it is a cute ideal to put a sign up by the spot with just a simple Thank you.  It will touch the kind person who did it to be recognized and if they did not do it out of kindness they will probably be resentful you are not resentful to the control of your yard.

The work is done so that is good regardless.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

If what they pulled were actually weeds, I'd gratefully say thank you -  and since you're a cookinfreak, I'd bake them a cake or some cookies.  Maybe get a little conversation started with those neighbors and find out for the future whether you want to continue to be sweet or ask them to back off.

Honored Contributor

I think it was sweet of them.  I'd love to do the same with a couple of my neighbors (we have condos / townhouses) that aren't into gardening but am not sure they'd appreciate it, and I rarely see them to ask.

Trusted Contributor

Wait and see if you get a bill from the HOA...just kidding....so your not sure which neighbor or who did it?
Trusted Contributor

I would take it as a gift from heaven!  Someone was aware it was challenging for you and wanted to do a good deed anonymously.  If they were unhappy with the way it looked or the pace you were keeping they would have complained…unhappy people do that.  Nice people do good deeds without the need for recognition.  It is understandable that it feels odd to have someone with their hands in your business, but in this case I feels like it was purely meant as an act of kindness.  You could post that sign of appreciate to your mystery angel and promise to pay the favor forward to someone else who may need a kindness from you.  For something like this, it is always better to err on the side of good intentions – most of the world is kind, giving and well intentioned. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

@cookinfreak  You know, I used to have a next door neighbor in her eighties who had a lot of plants and bushes in front of her condo.  I loved that old lady (she was quite a pistol), and I always wanted to do things to help her out.  I always watered her plants (she had more than me) whenever I did my own.

I think your neighbors saw how difficult it was for you to care for your flowers and wanted to help you out.  God bless them!  Now I'm getting to the age where I may need some help with a few things, so I hope there will be someone around like that for me!  Cat Happy

Laura loves cats!