Honored Contributor

Re: Sweden, how they dealt with covid-19

Respiratory viruses do not have a good track record for conferring long lasting acquired active immunity. The original SARS virus is probably two years based on estimates from antibody studies.
Respected Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

Sweden has been hailed as the country who's leaders decided to impose no quarantines or shutdowns.  Everyone is at work, school, restaurants, etc. The only guidelines was to stay at "arm's length."

Just saw the data today and here is how it is working with Sweden and its neighbors:

Sweden deaths  2,462

Norway deaths 207

Finland deaths 206

Denmark deaths 443

WHO initially condemned Sweden's approach.  Today, it's praising Sweden.  Utter flip-flop.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Will have to see how it works out long term.  As places start opening and the predicted second wave, Sweden may have eliminated those concerns and not decimated their economy.

That's exactly why the WHO has abandoned its initial condemnation of Sweden's approach. 

Esteemed Contributor

According to the report on Sweden that I watched last night, they are experiencing an uptake of cases, AND they have sacrificed the elderly and most vulnerable, which account for the majority of deaths. Not sure I'd call that a success...just a judgement of personal worth vs the economy. They also have only 10 million in their entire country. Can't really compare them to other more populous nations. We shall see how this works out for them down the line. I am of course concerned about Stockholm because my neighbor's son is living there. I've known him since he was two years old. I hope he stays healthy.

Respected Contributor

And in the meantime, Denmark that has had less than 500 deaths has opened back up with the exception of eating establishments, hair salons, and large crowd venues. So far they have done well with no new outbreaks. I believe the eating establishments and hair salons will open in about a week.

They were among the first European countries to shut down the country within just a few weeks of their first identified case.  So they spend about a month in lock down, contained the spread and death rate, and for the most part have opened back up. 

Hopefully, they will continue to do well. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

According to the report on Sweden that I watched last night, they are experiencing an uptake of cases, AND they have sacrificed the elderly and most vulnerable, which account for the majority of deaths. Not sure I'd call that a success...just a judgement of personal worth vs the economy. They also have only 10 million in their entire country. Can't really compare them to other more populous nations. We shall see how this works out for them down the line. I am of course concerned about Stockholm because my neighbor's son is living there. I've known him since he was two years old. I hope he stays healthy.

Are not the majority of the deaths in the US the elderly and vulnerable?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Germany and South Korea are doing much better jobs than Sweden. There's really no other country to compare the US to when it comes to results. Our country is gigantic and fractured with a large loud sub-group of people who are meddling in containment efforts.

We are not using science for most of the large-scale practical decisions, and other countries are. So we will see wildly different results than all of the other nations, industrialized and not. A recession has already started here and nothing is being done to mitigate it.

So we will see the worst of all of it. Restrictions that were too much to handle for a few people after just one month and that are being lifted early in some places. Minimal testing, minimal contact tracing, bogus cures, and workers put back on the job without ample safety equipment or clear safety requirements.

So that's pretty much the plan. Keep everyone off unemployment insurance. But no real protection or forward thinking about anyone's health or jobs or saving small businesses threatened by lack of demand.

And over 60,000 dead who didn't have to die. So far.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Respiratory viruses do not have a good track record for conferring long lasting acquired active immunity. The original SARS virus is probably two years based on estimates from antibody studies.

@bikerbabe  very interesting and I appreciate you posting this.  If respiratory viruses don't provide herd immunity I was just wondering what it all means when the medical community wants to test everyone for antibodies.  It's all very confusing if having antibodies means very little or maybe nothing(?)  

Respected Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

@bikerbabe wrote:

@bikerbabe  very interesting and I appreciate you posting this.  If respiratory viruses don't provide herd immunity I was just wondering what it all means when the medical community wants to test everyone for antibodies.  It's all very confusing if having antibodies means very little or maybe nothing(?)  

@germanshepherdlove, there are really 2 main reasons.  One is that they can take a blood donation from someone with a high titer level  of antibodies and reduce it down to give that plasma to someone infected with the coronavirus as a potential treatment.

Second, they need to study the antibodies to learn and hopefully understand what level, if any, provides at least some immunity or how long that immunity might last.

what @bikerbabe is true.  The coronaviruses that cause the common cold provide little long term immunity.  Currently I think they are saying that immunity to SARS is around  2 years with a signficant drop in immunity during the 3rd year after infection.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Valued Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Early on we were told masks were only for health care and we had no need to wear one.  I never understood that logic and then when we were told yes, it's a good idea to cover you mouth and nose even if it's just with a bandana.....did our numbers plateau or was that just a coincidence(?)